PDA

View Full Version : 84 Accord Engine Questions

Boltgunner
01-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi, new to the forum, glad I found you!
Just nicely got my 84 running and through the emissions test - seven tries later, bad cat was the culprit - and I heard something about a non CVCC head available for this motor (in Canada?). When I am through getting sniffed annually, I would love to nuke the 86 miles of vacuum hose, the CVCC head and that :gun: CARB FROM HELL, and go the Weber route. Anyone out there, please reply with pros/cons/head info! Thank you all!
Boltgunner

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 01:05 AM
with a weber you will never pass a test unless you lean it to the point it dies.

Boltgunner
01-15-2007, 07:05 AM
I was kinda afraid of that...

I suppose it would be a good question to ask, given that I am new here; does anyone know of a 1.8 CVCC guru to get some info from about tuning this engine?

Also, can anyone tell me about their success in swapping an engine into this year Accord?

Boltgunner

2ndGenGuy
01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
I dont think that there's any documented non-CVCC heads that bolt onto the ES2. The A18 or A16 heads might work, but its uncertain if they had the same head bolt pattern or not. As I found out by trying to do this to an EK1 (1981 Accord engine) Honda stuff changes year to year.

The CVCC stuff isn't really a problem though. I'm running a Weber carb on my ES2 and it works just fine. The beauty of the ES2 is that the intake manifold doesn't have water lines running through it, so there's nothing you have to block off like on the EK1 (older) or the A20 (newer).

If you're interested in a swap, the A20 will bolt right up to the ES2 mounts. Look for posts by PhydeauX and Phrenology, both who have completed this swap, but I'm not sure if Phrenology got his running or not... PhydeauX did and has dual sidedraft Webers on his.

Rockcord
01-15-2007, 03:58 PM
im glad i dont have to do emissions tests... whew

PhydeauX
01-15-2007, 07:42 PM
If it's tuned right with the weber it should pass emissions. If you lean it out it'll fail just as bad as if it was too rich. The problem with the weber swap is visual inspections. The ccvc system actually runs very clean. Ccvc cars didn't even need a cat to pass emissions until they were federally mandated. But if they look under your hood at the inspection with the weber they'll probably notice something is up and fail you for it.

I forget what engine the non-ccvc Canadian head comes from, but that swap was actually for the EK engines found in the early 2g accords anyway, won't help you with the 84. The non ccvc equivalent of your ES motor is the ET, found in the dual carb 2g preludes. I don't know if the heads will swap, but the whole motor will if thats your fancy.

andy

Boltgunner
01-18-2007, 08:00 PM
OK, perhaps a Weber would help me keep my sanity with the ES2. Now, about all the hoses and such? The black box on the firewall, and the computer? They go away with the addition of the Weber?

Boltgunner
01-18-2007, 08:11 PM
BTW, I am running a Pacesetter header on the ES2...had to modify the two air "tubes" that run to it as the header was for the Prelude, but the bolt pattern is the same. I also sent a rusty stock ehxaust system to a shop in Bend, Oregon, and they cloned me a mandrel-bent exhaust pipe from the header aft. One high flow cat and (for a while) a SuperTrapp tip muffler only (got tired of the constant moan, chickened out and put a stock muffler in, now I can hear again). Seems to breathe well!

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 08:36 PM
BTW, I am running a Pacesetter header on the ES2...had to modify the two air "tubes" that run to it as the header was for the Prelude, but the bolt pattern is the same. I also sent a rusty stock ehxaust system to a shop in Bend, Oregon, and they cloned me a mandrel-bent exhaust pipe from the header aft. One high flow cat and (for a while) a SuperTrapp tip muffler only (got tired of the constant moan, chickened out and put a stock muffler in, now I can hear again). Seems to breathe well!

man that sounds good....

2ndGenGuy
01-18-2007, 11:26 PM
With a header, the Weber should be able to push a little more punch out of the engine. You can dump the vacuum box and the "computer" and all the hoses by following the Weber How To on the site. I followed it, and ran into a few small issues myself, since I've never done anything like it before. AND the guide is for a 3g. If you need, I can find you the post that shows everything I ran into on my ES2 with the Weber swap, with the solutions that the people on the forum helped me out with. Once you do the swap, you'll find those "tubes" will be gone as well, and you'll be running a REALLY basic, simple engine. No crazy tubing, hoses or anything. Might shave about 40 lbs off the car... :lol:

You'll need to fab up a quick EGR plate too for your intake manifold.

I think the post is in a thread called 2g / A20 swap or something. The Weber was the first step in learning how to work with carbs before swapping the engine. I've since put the A20 swap on hold to work on my 1g Accord engine.

Boltgunner
01-19-2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the reply - yes, I would appreciate seeing that thread, should you come by it! No sense reinventing the wheel :nuts:
Cheers!
Boltgunner

Boltgunner
01-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Is this the saga? http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52973

2ndGenGuy
01-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Oh yeah that's it. I forgot to post it. Man I wish i still had those pics...

Boltgunner
01-24-2007, 05:24 AM
Yeah, me, too! They won't open when I go to the thread. :wtf:

Admin, any chance they can be retrieved?

2ndGenGuy
01-24-2007, 11:24 AM
I'll look through my computer tonight and see if I've got em. They should be around somewhere...

Boltgunner
01-24-2007, 05:39 PM
I seem to be compelled to make the most monster ES2 I can...I guess because all the accessories will not know the difference.

How about this Colt outfit I read about in the forum? They make a good street cam for the ES2?

Harleys go potatopotatopotatopotato
Love it!

2ndGenGuy
01-24-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't see why Colt wouldn't make a cam for the ES2, it should be the same cam as the A20, just with an extra lobe for the CVCC. So long as they leave that alone, it should be fine. Especially since they regrind the stock cam anyways.

Ichiban
01-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Cammed up ES2's say muffinmuffinmuffinmuffin....right?

You could bore out your block to 2 litres and use A20 pistons. Rjudjey also says that the ET-2 head is nice, or something.

Boltgunner
01-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Trivia question - does the Weber adapter plate block the third intake hole for the aux valve?

2ndGenGuy
01-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Trivia Answer - No it doesn't.

Boltgunner
01-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Did you install the 32/36 DGEV?

2ndGenGuy
01-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah. There is a slot in the adapter plate that runs up to that hole. Somehow I guess fuel gets sucked in there. I don't think that the car would run without fuel getting into the pre-chambers.

Should be able to put the 38 on with the same adapter plate if you're looking for better performance. I do believe that the factory barrels are 32/34, at least when I measured them out. So the 32/36 isn't a whole lot of an upgrade.

Boltgunner
01-24-2007, 08:19 PM
The data base grows - thanks!