PDA

View Full Version : i think i cracked my radiator...

cdm18911
01-14-2007, 11:49 PM
well, my car was surging due to the cold weather, and i was running low on coolant so i added some more.

i used a pre mixed solution and now i think i may have put too much in. i was driving and my temp needle practically maxed out and i lost heat, defrost, etc. i pop the hood and theres coolant everywhere

COULD i have overfilled and cracked my radiator? at this point, i cant really think of anything else

ghettogeddy
01-14-2007, 11:52 PM
its possible but not likely if u were to have overflowed it would have burst the cap before the rad unless it was really really weak

cdm18911
01-15-2007, 12:10 AM
well the cap was intact. and just by how hot the car was, i had to have lost most, if not all, of the coolant

forrest89sei
01-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Might be time for a Koyo!

Cheeseburger
01-15-2007, 12:26 AM
koyo FTW!

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 01:07 AM
yeah koyo is the one of the best..unless you get a 2nd gen teg one...

shepherd79
01-15-2007, 07:45 AM
if you have newer 3G version, it has plastic radiator frame. Overtime plastic gets hard and it had crack.
also check your hoses.
best way to do is fill up with coolant and let it run. the whole will show up under pressure.

POS carb
01-15-2007, 10:02 AM
COULD i have overfilled and cracked my radiator? at this point, i cant really think of anything else

not likely...

if the temperature needs drops to Cold and you have no heat it means there is no coolant inthe system and the engine is probably overheated

fill it with water (carefully, try not to spray/spill any filling it up) check for leaks. Don't put the cap on yet.

if there are no apparent leaks run the engine. in a few minutes you shoud be able to see the coolant circulating through the opening on the radiator. This will indicate that your thermostat is functioning. Cap it and let it build pressure.

If there is a hole steam and water will begin to push through. If you don't hear/see anything squeeze the upper radiator hose, it should be firm from the pressure and hot if the water is flowing.

Possible leaks:
radiator - puddles by the front bumper, look for rusty water stains on the radiator, listen for hissing or bubbling. check the automatic transmission oil for a pink, milky look which would indicate a broken cooler.
water pump leak - puddles by the driver's side tire
hoses - leaks could be anywhere
engine - a blown headgasket will slowly disappear the water (over a few days), you may or may not see exhaust smoke, the coolant will "boil" often; sometimes the carburetor cooling leaks into the intake and the car will run like crap

If there is no pressure but no visible leak then it may be a leaky heater core (you would find a puddle under your carpet, smell antifreeze in your car) or a leaking automatic transmission cooler
if you cracked a hose it would be obvious.
if the radiator is leaking it is most likely at the seams of the cap where it meets the fins.

hope this helps you

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 07:05 PM
yeah you could also use a pressure tester and test it at 15psi