PDA

View Full Version : looking for a 76-81 accord engine Vancouver B.C.

oldschool
01-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey all I am in need of a accord engine to finish up my restoration. any accord engine 1976-81 will do as long as it runs! I live in Vancouver so anywhere within 100km would be cool.Thanks!! email [email protected]

2ndGenGuy
01-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Are you sure that all those years will bolt up to the same transmission? I know that there are differences year to year in the engines...

offthahook
01-15-2007, 04:49 PM
I know that there are differences year to year in the engines...

I think you do know that. Those silly Canucks always used the 1.6, right? The US went to the 1.8 in 79. Maybe the 1st gens. up there (truly 76-81) had the same bellhousing mates. I know in the US Honda did changes every damn year and some are compatible forwards, some are compatible backwards, and some are same year only type deals. I would say get a transmission, carb, motor, and driveshafts from the same donor car. TRUST US, you may run into some headaches trying to piece one together... "Mix and match" wasn't in the early Honda engineers voabulary for the most part. Keep us posted.

2ndGenGuy
01-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Hmm... he posted his e-mail address. I hope that doesn't mean that he's going to wait for a response via e-mail. Hopefully he comes back and lets us know how things went for him.

OldSchool, have you called that place in Chiliwack, the Pick-A-Part up there? It's got the old pick car with the lit up headlights up on top of the sign right off Highway 1. I'm going to be headed up there next weekend to see if I can't score an EL cylinder head...

79cord
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Yes there were some major changes between the '78 & '79 1.6 engines as well, though only minor changes between 79-81. The '79&on 1.6 revving better & with a better torque spread /response than the earlier engine, though no great change in max power.
Transaxle was also changed with the new '79 engine & clutch/flywheel sizes changed so I doubt the later engine would bolt straight to the earlier transaxle.
If he was changing the entire drivetrain though anything's possible '76-83, & an '82-83 engine would still be well worth considering for a little more power -& should bolt up to an '79-81 transaxle, though obviously he'd need the matching intake & exhaust manifolds.

oldschool
01-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the advice!! I will try that pick-a-part place for sure.

wizzfish
01-17-2007, 08:06 PM
VANCOUVER GUY:
If yo find a donor car anywhere, let me know..some minor trim pieces I'm after. 81 accord, here :)

pics here:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=686871&postcount=39

2ndGenGuy
01-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Wow, seems all us 1st gen peeps are looking for parts for our cars. What we need is a collective list online somewhere of wanted 1g and 2g parts that is dynamically updated. Then we can all keep an eye out for eachother.

I might build me a new web app tonight...

offthahook
01-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Wow, seems all us 1st gen peeps are looking for parts for our cars. What we need is a collective list online somewhere of wanted 1g and 2g parts that is dynamically updated. Then we can all keep an eye out for eachother.

I might build me a new web app tonight...

HOOK IT UP. That would rock. We need about 3 81 hatch donor cars and we could all have everything we ever dreamed of...

Civic Accord Honda
01-19-2007, 03:30 AM
doo it