PDA

View Full Version : Cracked gear box... again:(

Hondarul
01-15-2007, 05:04 AM
I blame that fucking Exedi stage 1 clutch, that previous owner has installed. I don't think the gear box was resistant to those shocks that the clutch was giving and today it seems that the box died:gun:

First, I thought it was the clutch cable or something like that, because I couldn't get into gears. I pulled the car to the shop and it seemed that the clutch cable is ok. Whrn I started the engine and try to get it into 1st gear, the engine died. Under the engine a huge pond of gear box oil... And the gears (on standing) were working very, very hard... I barelly get them in the place.

Now the car is in the shop and the gear box is gonna be removed to see the exact problem. I already found a gear box from a scrap Aerodeck, the dude asks 300 E for it. How does it sound? For me, is a lot of money since I sold an aerodeck gear box with 100 E.

First of all, please tell me what could the problem be. The gear box and clutch were mounted a couple of month ago. And second, is it to much 300 E for a gear box?

Thanks guys!:crying: :crying:

A18A
01-15-2007, 05:15 AM
i dunno how much 300E is, but if thats the same as US $ then it sounds like alot to me.. i think people on here get them for around $100 - $200, but i supose if you pull parts off the scrap aerodeck and sell them to people on here, you could get some money back from it

russiankid
01-15-2007, 07:26 AM
300E is way to much. That's around $387 US dollars. Did you check to see if your drain bolt is leaking? Or is even missing? I don't think a clutch can do so much damage.

shepherd79
01-15-2007, 07:42 AM
exedy clutch is actually almost equal to stock OEm clutch. it shouldn't be giving you any hard jerking or anything like that. may be someone didn't brake in the clutch properly.

russiankid
01-15-2007, 09:00 AM
exedy clutch is actually almost equal to stock OEm clutch. it shouldn't be giving you any hard jerking or anything like that. may be someone didn't brake in the clutch properly.
Or the pressure plate spring is warped do to not installing it correctly. Which results in uneven wear.

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 07:02 PM
man that sucks....when was the last time you changed the oil?

forrest89sei
01-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Sorry to hear that!

Good luck on the new gearbox

hotdoghogie
01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
man dude that reel blows... just look at it this way... your teaching us a lesson... get a spare tranny +P

halxi
01-15-2007, 10:28 PM
I blame that fucking Exedi stage 1 clutch, that previous owner has installed. I don't think the gear box was resistant to those shocks that the clutch was giving and today it seems that the box died:gun:
First, I thought it was the clutch cable or something like that, because I couldn't get into gears. I pulled the car to the shop and it seemed that the clutch cable is ok.

I think its the driver bro...

I have an exedy stage 1 in my accord, and i beat the living shit out of that car... burnouts, clutch dumps, speed shifting (its sad when i can work my foot faster then the clutch) and i havent had any problems with this trans i picked up. 3rd gear grinds a little, but i think thats due to a bad syncro, not the clutch.

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I think its the driver bro...
I have an exedy stage 1 in my accord, and i beat the living shit out of that car... burnouts, clutch dumps, speed shifting (its sad when i can work my foot faster then the clutch) and i havent had any problems with this trans i picked up. 3rd gear grinds a little, but i think thats due to a bad syncro, not the clutch.

damn doesnt your car have like 240k also? so is the exedy clutch good?

Hondarul
01-16-2007, 12:04 AM
My gears were grinding "a ittle" too, especially the 3rd, so... take care halxi!

Today I will find out what is wrong. Could be the pressure palte spring, but in this case, where do the oil comes from? I think all of it came out yesterday, under the car... The oil was just changed. This gearbox that just broke, I sold it to the previous owner for 100 E (that's funny, right?) and he changed the oil then, and also the clutch, because the stock one died on him (burnouts, etc). So the car had new gearbox with oil a new exedy clutch.

I don't know how your exedy clutch is working, but mine was giving pretty big shocks to the engine and gearbox (I heard that someone's engine supports that stick it to the chassis broke because of this) and I really didn't like that, since I like the car to run nice and smooth. When I was rising the foot from the clutch pedal, I could feel the shock, even if I was rising it like a balerina, very smooth... Maybe it wasn't installed corectly, who knows?

I will take my camera with me and take some pictures of anything is wrong in there, hope to be helpfull in the future.

ps: is funny how you give away a gear box for 100 E, thinking you won't need it anymore and then you have to pay 300 E for another one... Conclusion - don't give away your spare parts!!!!!!!!:rant:

forrest89sei
01-16-2007, 12:17 AM
My gears were grinding "a ittle" too, especially the 3rd, so... take care halxi!
Today I will find out what is wrong. Could be the pressure palte spring, but in this case, where do the oil comes from? I think all of it came out yesterday, under the car... The oil was just changed. This gearbox that just broke, I sold it to the previous owner for 100 E (that's funny, right?) and he changed the oil then, and also the clutch, because the stock one died on him (burnouts, etc). So the car had new gearbox with oil a new exedy clutch.
I don't know how your exedy clutch is working, but mine was giving pretty big shocks to the engine and gearbox (I heard that someone's engine supports that stick it to the chassis broke because of this) and I really didn't like that, since I like the car to run nice and smooth. When I was rising the foot from the clutch pedal, I could feel the shock, even if I was rising it like a balerina, very smooth... Maybe it wasn't installed corectly, who knows?
I will take my camera with me and take some pictures of anything is wrong in there, hope to be helpfull in the future.
ps: is funny how you give away a gear box for 100 E, thinking you won't need it anymore and then you have to pay 300 E for another one... Conclusion - don't give away your spare parts!!!!!!!!:rant:

Good luck on the repair!

russiankid
01-16-2007, 04:46 AM
The Exedy clutch is a very good clutch IMO. I installed one in my Accord about 3 weeks ago, and i love it.

russiankid
01-16-2007, 04:48 AM
This sounds like the pressure plate spring was warped. Most likely they did not tighten it down evenly on each side, so the spring didn't compress evenly.

Hondarul
01-17-2007, 03:59 AM
The case had a hole that I could put my finger thru. Some parts were so used that they broke and pieces got thru the case... I don't know how they are called but I will make some pics on sunday when I get the car.

I got another gear box. The final cost, including getting out my gearbox, getting the gearbox from another Aerodeck, making from 2 boxex a good one (the new one had the 5th gear broken), mounting back the gearbox, new clutch, plate and ballbearing (Japan original) - 2300 Lei, wich is... 700 Euros:thumbdn:

Shit happens... damn it. At least I'll get to take my girl out on sunday.

russiankid
01-17-2007, 04:44 AM
The case had a hole that I could put my finger thru. Some parts were so used that they broke and pieces got thru the case... I don't know how they are called but I will make some pics on sunday when I get the car.
I got another gear box. The final cost, including getting out my gearbox, getting the gearbox from another Aerodeck, making from 2 boxex a good one (the new one had the 5th gear broken), mounting back the gearbox, new clutch, plate and ballbearing (Japan original) - 2300 Lei, wich is... 700 Euros:thumbdn:
Shit happens... damn it. At least I'll get to take my girl out on sunday.
Well at least you got it fixed. Make sure to go easy on the clutch for a good 500 miles so it can break it.

snoopyloopy
01-17-2007, 09:01 AM
not bad on the repair cost, considering they rebuilt you a new one out of two old ones and did the labor. anyway, gl with it and hopefully it doesn't take another crap on you again any time soon.

Hondarul
01-17-2007, 09:15 AM
I hope not... maybe this is the cause of the previous brake-downs:(

http://www.4tuning.ro/gal/displayimage.php?album=380&pos=281
http://www.4tuning.ro/gal/displayimage.php?album=380&pos=282
http://www.4tuning.ro/gal/displayimage.php?album=380&pos=284
http://www.4tuning.ro/gal/displayimage.php?album=380&pos=285
http://www.4tuning.ro/gal/displayimage.php?album=380&pos=206

No. I'm sure this has been the cause of the brakedown... Whrn I got the car I only driven it very nice and slow, smoth. Maybe it was not used to this driving style:)

halxi
01-17-2007, 12:38 PM

265k, however the rings just went on the car today... lame. Clutch still holds like a champ too, ive never had a problem with the clutch specifically. However my clutch CABLE is a little sticky.

hondarul :wtf: is someone a little moody?

your gear grinding problems will only be clutch related IF the clutch is installed wrong, which it sounds like it was.

Clutch brand has NOTHING to do with the n00b behind the wrench. :thumbdn:
What im saying, just cuz it didnt function properly because (from what i gathered in your post) it had a warped pressure plate spring, thats souly the installers fault. And if you didnt install it yourself you should take it back to the mechanic that did and prove to them they did the work, and the spring is warped from an improper install and you want it done again, for free.

If it was you who installed it, then you've learned a valuable lesson as to why youre supposed to switch sides to get an even torque on everything with more then one bolt

MessyHonda
01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
265k, however the rings just went on the car today... lame. Clutch still holds like a champ too, ive never had a problem with the clutch specifically. However my clutch CABLE is a little sticky.

man that sucks maing...does that means you are going to rebuild it or engine swap