PDA

View Full Version : really close on AC for JDM B20A

mykwikcoupe
01-15-2007, 01:13 PM
So my bro has an extra b18a1 from his 93 teg. I stopped by and picked up his ac baket and pump. Last night I went outside to the garage and started figuring it ou. The stock top AC mount for the B20a and the bottom portion of the B18a (after you cut the bottom of course) make it so the Ac bracket from his b18a1 bolts up. Theres a few little issues though.

The 1st issue not being so big, only 1 bolt works on the bommot mount. I say its not such a big deal because there losts of room in the bracket to flatten out and redrill a hole in the proper spot.

2nd issue is kind of a large one. Im still trying to figure out which crank pulley to use. If I use the stock b20a crank pulley the AC puley line up with the power steering pulley perfect. This however isnt a good thing because the power steering using a V-belt and the AC uses a ribbed belt. From there I have a dillemma, can I find a AC pump with a pullet that doesnt protrude quite so far or go and have a pulley (or 2) made to custom the project. If I was to try and adapt the pulleys over, I can have a V-belt pulley machined for the AC pump and go with that, it would be the easiest. However the AC pump isnt desinged for a V-belt and I think it would just squeal like crazy. The next option would be to find or have made a crank pulley with a Ribbed belt 3rd pulley and have a power steering pump pulley made up with the same belt design.

Ok so that siad and done, Ive found out how to make the pump bolt on but Ill see if I can ressess it into the block a little more so it wil line up witht he correct pulley.

In its form as it sits, lining up with the power steering pulley it works great with the turbo and DP. Lots of room just in case anyone was curious. Any help from the pros? Thanks Mike

ghettogeddy
01-15-2007, 01:21 PM
just look for a v belt pulley that is the same size im sure that would be easy to do just hit a jy up or go to a parts store with the ac pulley and say u need one like it that uses the v belt and if ur worried about it squealing just put a tensioner on the belt

mykwikcoupe
01-15-2007, 01:32 PM
no, the power steering and AC would be on the same belt. The power steering is a V-belt and ac is a ribbed belt. They dont use the same belts so Im going to have to adapt one or the other.

After looking at 2louds post http://3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52043&highlight=B20a+AC It looks as though the B20b power steering pulley from the CRV fixes the issue of having a different style of pulley. The 94 crank pulley must be the one I need for the crank pulley. HMMMMMMMMMM I wonder if I can find someone (whos not on vacation) to measue out the 94 teg pulley. Id like to compare to see if it holds the belts out any further from stock. It looksa as though they are close enough from his picks but when I put on the B18a1 crank pulley, the rear spacer thingy would need to be machined down almost 1/4 inch.

Anyway, if you see this 2loud send me a pm or hit me up on aim or msn. Id like your opinion since this appears the way you went for the most part also

AccordEXI
01-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Why all the trouble trying to adapt a B18A AC pump? It's much easier to fab a bracket to use the A20 pump. This it what I did and I've had no problems since I did it 4 years ago(simple & reliable). Also, keep in mind you'll need custom AC lines because the stock ones probably won't work with the B18A compressor.
As for a V-belt pulley being noisy, it shouldn't. 2nd gen Preludes use a V-belt driven AC pump.

mykwikcoupe
01-15-2007, 05:09 PM
pics accord exi

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Why all the trouble trying to adapt a B18A AC pump? It's much easier to fab a bracket to use the A20 pump. This it what I did and I've had no problems since I did it 4 years ago(simple & reliable). Also, keep in mind you'll need custom AC lines because the stock ones probably won't work with the B18A compressor.
As for a V-belt pulley being noisy, it shouldn't. 2nd gen Preludes use a V-belt driven AC pump.

man you should stop by more often. :welcome:

AccordEXI
01-17-2007, 07:25 PM
What would you like pics of? Pretty much all you can see is the top of the upper bracket I made. If you want, what I can do is scan the diagram of the brackets I made. It's not much to look at but you can get an idea of what's involved.

3gmodifier
01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
i have the complete compressor and bracket and belt from my b20a. as of right now i am pretty sure that when i get my 2dr, i wont keep it. if so it's yours.

Cheeseburger
01-17-2007, 08:13 PM
ur getting a 2 door accord 3gmodifier

MessyHonda
01-17-2007, 08:44 PM
ur getting a 2 door accord 3gmodifier

yeah he wants a 2dr se-i if im not mistaken.

mykwikcoupe
01-18-2007, 03:44 PM
What would you like pics of? Pretty much all you can see is the top of the upper bracket I made. If you want, what I can do is scan the diagram of the brackets I made. It's not much to look at but you can get an idea of what's involved.
that would be great. I know when i first started looking at it, i had kinda looked at the complete a20a bracket and was thinking about drilling out new holes to mount it on the b20 block but the PS pump wouldnt have worked. Anything to get me pionted int he proper direction would be great.

3gmodifier i have the complete compressor and bracket and belt from my b20a. as of right now i am pretty sure that when i get my 2dr, i wont keep it. if so it's yours.
Today 03:25 AM

that would be cool also. Let me know when, if your getting rid of it and Ill definatly get it from you. If you have the ac hose part that would be great also

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 03:59 PM
sweet.....AC is needed in so-cal

snoopyloopy
01-18-2007, 07:46 PM
sweet.....AC is needed in so-cal
i beg to differ. i lived through last socal summer w/o any ac.

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
i beg to differ. i lived through last socal summer w/o any ac.

i remember i went to LA....it hit 112.....tooo hot for me...plus i bet you didnt use it cuz it didnt work...like 80% of our cars.

snoopyloopy
01-18-2007, 08:32 PM
hey, that's not the point.

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 09:15 PM
hey, that's not the point.

i knew it...lol...if it worked i know for sure you would have turned it on....lol plus you have a black car...makes it like 4F hotter inside...lol

snoopyloopy
01-18-2007, 09:22 PM
yeah, i was going to do one of the r-134 conversions since i have a nd compressor but i never got around to it. maybe this summer.

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 09:34 PM
yeah, i was going to do one of the r-134 conversions since i have a nd compressor but i never got around to it. maybe this summer.

yeah...denso ones are good...i did it to my dx and it has the kehin and it fucked up big time..

snoopyloopy
01-18-2007, 09:37 PM
but what condensor does the b20a use? that could throw a wrench in my plans...

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 09:49 PM
but what condensor does the b20a use? that could throw a wrench in my plans...

mod the denso to it...lol

mykwikcoupe
01-31-2007, 10:11 PM
OH MY GOSH IM SO CLOSE TO JIZZIN ON MYSELF. Please tell me these are the same parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Civic-CRX-1988-1991-TR70_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33543QQihZ016QQite mZ260064030593QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

is this the same pic as exile accords ac pump from his post
http://3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57994

if so Im so happy
also found on the 90-93 prelude

carotman
01-31-2007, 10:21 PM
cool.

I have a blacktop compresseor here. I'll have to compare them and see if they're the same too (got a goldtop compressor also)

mykwikcoupe
02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
well if these arent the same ill be surprised. the label looks the same and the only difference being the pulley. For some reason the pic of the b20a has like 8 ribs and the factory crank is only 4

carotman
03-08-2007, 05:08 PM
any news on this one?