PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problem

Hazwan
01-16-2007, 05:15 AM
Is it normal for wires to become warm after running for a while? What I'm thinking is all my wires are corroded and I'm guessing the corrosion adds resistance and resistance=more load=hotter wires? Am I correct?

Is there anything I can do other than replacing all the wires?

89T
01-16-2007, 05:48 AM
depends on whitch wires.
if their batt wires, just replace them their only $15usd for both.
and if you you really don't to replace them, pull the batt out and you can dump 7up or sprite soda on the cables then rince with water.

you can also use baking soda.1 table spoon to 8oz of water.(then rince)
this will clean only the exposed wire and connectors.

hotter wires can also mean heavy voltage draw.

MessyHonda
01-16-2007, 09:05 AM
if it works fine leave it alone...i would upgrade the grounds in the engine bay and chasis.

POS carb
01-16-2007, 10:20 AM
yes, an overloaded or damaged wire will get hot from the added resistance. You can replace the wire, lower the power consumption (like lower wattage bulbs on the lights), or use the stock wires to trigger relays with direct battery hookup for the problem circuits

ex if your headlight wires are overloaded then use the stock wires to trigger a relay. The relay is then the switch between the headlights and direct battery power.

Hazwan
01-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Something is going wrong with my tail light circuit whre it keeps blowing fuse. The wiring is hot and will randomly blow the fuse. The other wires are warm especially the ignition switch wires, main power, blower etc under the dash.

I already use relays on headlight, horn and starter wire to the solenoid since they don't provide enough juice before.

The grounds are upgraded with 8 gauge wires in addition with cleaned up original wires.

shepherd79
01-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Something is going wrong with my tail light circuit whre it keeps blowing fuse. The wiring is hot and will randomly blow the fuse. The other wires are warm especially the ignition switch wires, main power, blower etc under the dash.
I already use relays on headlight, horn and starter wire to the solenoid since they don't provide enough juice before.
The grounds are upgraded with 8 gauge wires in addition with cleaned up original wires.
8 gauge is too small. You should step up to 4 gauge for power and ground wires.

POS carb
01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
the tail lights should not be blowing fuses or warming the wires... you have a short circuit to fix dude...
it is not odd for OEM wiring to become corroded on some circuits after 25 years, luckily your car is very basic when it comes to the electrical. I'd recommend removing the bulbs and checking for continuity to ground on the + wire, this will indicate a short circuit.

***You need to isolate the problem. Upgrading your battery and ignition wires is only going to provide more fuel for your impending electrical fire in your trunk (or wherever along the wire the problem exists)***

Blkblurr
01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
the tail lights should not be blowing fuses or warming the wires... you have a short circuit to fix dude...
it is not odd for OEM wiring to become corroded on some circuits after 25 years, luckily your car is very basic when it comes to the electrical. I'd recommend removing the bulbs and checking for continuity to ground on the + wire, this will indicate a short circuit.
***You need to isolate the problem. Upgrading your battery and ignition wires is only going to provide more fuel for your impending electrical fire in your trunk (or wherever along the wire the problem exists)***

I agree completely.

Hazwan
01-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, so far I've I disconnected the wires to the rear lights under the dash and the fuse doesn't blow yet, but like I said before, the fuse blows randomly.

I'll check using the method suggested by POS carb tomorrow. Need to get new DMM first!

hwcoll95
01-20-2007, 10:57 AM
on my 86 and on my 92 both have the same failure,driver side furtherest out light socket,both even tho the 86 is brake light and 92 is just taillight one of the pins has heated and shorted,blowing fuse randomly,the 92 is no problem,just left bulb out,on the 86 installed new bulb socket,no more blown fuses,and all lights work fine,but the indicator on dash still show brake light out??

Hazwan
01-20-2007, 07:02 PM
on my 86 and on my 92 both have the same failure,driver side furtherest out light socket,both even tho the 86 is brake light and 92 is just taillight one of the pins has heated and shorted,blowing fuse randomly,the 92 is no problem,just left bulb out,on the 86 installed new bulb socket,no more blown fuses,and all lights work fine,but the indicator on dash still show brake light out??

I have similar problem while back, its either bad ground or the indicator unit itself is bad. I replaced my gauge cluster and no more warning light. dunno if its the same with yours.

BTW I fixed the short already (I think). It was the exposed wire, touching the metal under the dash.