PDA

View Full Version : problems with the steering wheel

maximumcarnagetc
01-16-2007, 10:33 AM
i recently bought an 88 accord and the the steering wheel vibrates like crazy until you get to freeway speeds. i dont know what it could be. i had the tie rods replaced and the car alligned. i heard someone say something about the motor mount needing replacement. please help

MessyHonda
01-16-2007, 10:50 AM
sounds like your tires are not balanced...take it to a tire place and have them balance your tires...also does it do it when you hit the brakes? if so the disks could be warped

Blkblurr
01-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Could be a bad cv joint if you get it when you accellerate and it goes away when you let off the gas.

russiankid
01-16-2007, 07:08 PM
sounds like your tires are not balanced...take it to a tire place and have them balance your tires...also does it do it when you hit the brakes? if so the disks could be warpedWell if it goes away at highway speeds, then the wheels should be balanced, otherwise the vibration should get worse.

shepherd79
01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Well if it goes away at highway speeds, then the wheels should be balanced, otherwise the vibration should get worse.

not true.
On my stock 13 aluminum wheels, the vibration would go away after 80 mph.
after i put new tires and balanced the wheels, vibration is gone.

russiankid
01-16-2007, 07:14 PM
not true.
Well i heard different.:squint:

MessyHonda
01-16-2007, 07:19 PM
not true.

yup same here...when i got the first set of fat fives...it vibrated like a bitch and it would not go away till i got up to like 70...i changed the tires and balance them....it went away...plus i bet it improved my gas mileage since the rotational ihersia is balanced.

maximumcarnagetc
01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I Found The Problem. It Tunrs Out That All My Tires Didnt Have Enough Air In Them. Especially My Front Passanger Tire. I Filled Them Up Yesturday And Now The Thing Drives Like A Dream.

MessyHonda
01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
sweet! :thumbup: