PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

stat1K
01-17-2007, 08:04 AM
ok so i was driving home and i noticed a little smoke from my engine bay... a couple feet later -- like 20 -- i heard a pop and then a lot of smoke. i look under the hood and sure enough it looks like my headgasket blew. now the motor will start but it has a wicked rattle and what sounds like the 2 and 3 cylinders are knocking.

so here's what i need help with.

1) Should i just get a new engine put in? i've been quoted 1600 by some guy for all the labor and a motor with 50k on it. i thought that was decent only problem is he wont call me back. i've called him 4 times now -- the other place that has actually quoted me any kind of price quoted me 3000. now that's a huge jump and i'm wondering if they're just douchebags or what.

2) Headgasket replacement... should i just get a new headgasket? same place that quoted me 3000 for the engine said 1000 for a headgasket replacement including machining the head.

3) Put the engine in myself and take a couple days to get it done? I know it's not that tough but the problem is space and time. i need the car immediately because i have school and work and am possibly starting a new job.

So my dilemna is which one to pick. and if i get a new engine put in whats a fair price?

also if anyone arizona members know a good trustworthy place i can call let me know.

thanks in advance everyone.

89 Ex-i
01-17-2007, 08:44 AM
If you have cylinders that are knocking then there is no point to replacing the head gasket. Once cylinders knock then you will get scaring on the pistons and on the cylinder wall, and then you might want to replace the engine.

MessyHonda
01-17-2007, 09:24 AM
get a low mile junkyard engine.

azazel_18_2
01-17-2007, 09:47 AM
If you were closer I cold get you one that runs with 150k on it for $75

2oodoor
01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
If you have cylinders that are knocking then there is no point to replacing the head gasket. Once cylinders knock then you will get scaring on the pistons and on the cylinder wall, and then you might want to replace the engine.
question, how can cylinders knock.. thats just wierd,, lol

stat1k, you may be overreacting, my car did the exact same thing with 300K plus miles, all I did was replace the headgasket, had the head checked and shaved for trueness since I drove it home like that. I do my own work so It only cost me around 300 bucks. The knocking you hear is just preignition, I am 99 percent sure you would not have bottom end damage. Finding a trustworthy shop is indeed your biggest problem though. Shop labor is high at reputable places, that is unfortunate for your situtation. Did you pull the motor out already? I noticed you advertised the car for sale without motor in another thread.This happens to these type of cars all the time, it is very common and no reason to get rid of it, cars are expensive and if your car is in good shape otherwise I would think twice about getting rid of it cuz they are getting hard to find, and they get 30 mpg dude.

PearlDrummer00
01-24-2007, 09:18 AM
question, how can cylinders knock.. thats just wierd,, lol
stat1k, you may be overreacting, my car did the exact same thing with 300K plus miles, all I did was replace the headgasket, had the head checked and shaved for trueness since I drove it home like that. I do my own work so It only cost me around 300 bucks. The knocking you hear is just preignition, I am 99 percent sure you would not have bottom end damage. Finding a trustworthy shop is indeed your biggest problem though. Shop labor is high at reputable places, that is unfortunate for your situtation. Did you pull the motor out already? I noticed you advertised the car for sale without motor in another thread.This happens to these type of cars all the time, it is very common and no reason to get rid of it, cars are expensive and if your car is in good shape otherwise I would think twice about getting rid of it cuz they are getting hard to find, and they get 30 mpg dude.

I agree...I dont see how any bottom end damage can be done that would cause a "knocking" sound, jus from a blown head gasket. :huh:
get the head checked out, buy a worthy head gasket and call it good. lol

stat1K
01-24-2007, 09:53 AM
a little late for the advice. i still have the car and what i'm talking about doesn't sound like spark knock or preignition. it's sounded like it had a knock for a while. i might still look for an engine for it but it will be to put in then sell the car as a whole. i wish one of you guys would just come get it :) ... oh well i still love my 3gee and i don't want to let it go but the wife isn't to keen on keepin her.

MessyHonda
01-24-2007, 10:08 AM
have you tired seafoam?

2oodoor
01-26-2007, 04:36 AM
have you tired seafoam?
wtf MH

Yes it probably does sound a bit more severe than preignition, I know mine did. It was knocking like crazy, but what that is would be the compression from one cylinder going into the neighboring cylinder along with coolant, where the head gasket blew between the cylinders. ( wrong term, maybe combustion chamber would be more specific correct, then the cylinders would not be knocking lol)
Sorry stat1k , I did not see the thread till 'too late' , wish you lived closer I would get the car.