PDA

View Full Version : Help me please i need info on how to remove this

Blk87dx
01-17-2007, 11:33 AM
i am replacing my cv axel because i snapped it. and the wishbone thingy on the bottom of the coilover the bolt wont come out. here is a pic of the bolt that i cant get out.

http://a177.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/3/l_5a347c3d900397512a7c1b9fa9489ec0.jpg

if anyone has any imformation on how to remove this bolt please post i need a awnser asap.

Thank

A18A
01-17-2007, 11:35 AM
put a block of wood or something on the end of the bolt, and hammer the block till it comes loose :D

87lxiaccord
01-17-2007, 11:36 AM
just hit the thread end with a hammer and when it gets flush with the bushing get a punch or screwdriver and hammer on it some more it should come out really easy

Blk87dx
01-17-2007, 11:37 AM
ive been hammering at for two hours its not budging

Blk87dx
01-17-2007, 11:37 AM
just hit the thread end with a hammer and when it gets flush with the bushing get a punch or screwdriver and hammer on it some more it should come out really easy

i hit it with a impact gun the damn bolt dosent even want to break loose with a impact gun

shepherd79
01-17-2007, 11:56 AM
oh yes, it is very common for this bolts to rust weld themselfs. you can spray with PB blaster but it will be worthless. the best thing is put the nut back on. take 20lb sledge hammer and start pounding on it. if you hit threads, just unscrew the nut and they are saved.

MessyHonda
01-17-2007, 11:59 AM
this happen on picos car...he had to cut the bolt and get a new lower control arm.

Blk87dx
01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
ug i dont really have the time or the tools to cut it dont have a 20lb sledge hammer either. i guess ill have to figure out some way to get it off.

ghettogeddy
01-17-2007, 12:11 PM
id say get a hold of a solid heavy hammer and pound away try a shit load of pb blaster or maybe take the rest off and soak in the tub with a heavy solotion of CLR it might do the trick

Blk87dx
01-17-2007, 12:29 PM
well i punded the shit out of the bolt and well the bolt is fucked up. after hitting it with the hammer. ugh im sorry but 3rd gen accord's are a bitch to work on i think i fucking threw out my back or somthing because my back is fucking killing me after i did all the work to it. ima post some pics of the old cv axel and you guys can see what they do when they break.

MessyHonda
01-17-2007, 12:49 PM
yeah man.. a new lower control arm was like 15 bucks... plus the bushing is what stuck to the bolt...like i said cut it and get a new lower control arm and bolt.

A18A
01-17-2007, 12:51 PM
how about trying to turn the bolt?

MessyHonda
01-17-2007, 01:04 PM

its stuck....plus the bushing does not have thread...like i said...why kill your self over a 15 buck part. i might replace mine also with poly bushings.

ghettogeddy
01-17-2007, 01:08 PM
its stuck....plus the bushing does not have thread...like i said...why kill your self over a 15 buck part. i might replace mine also with poly bushings.
thats sounds like the easyest and cheapest solution lol
a 20lbs sledge would cost more than $15 lol

Blk87dx
01-17-2007, 02:28 PM

i have tried turning the bolt i put a impact gun on it 900ft lbs of torque and nothing the damn thing is not moving. im giving up on it tonight i have to work and i feel like shit. so hopfully i can figure somthing out by tomorrow.

russiankid
01-17-2007, 02:48 PM
When my brother and I had to do this on my car, we had to cut the bolt and cut the bolt that mounts the lower control arm to the chassis(so we could remove the whole thing). After that my brother had drilled the rubber part out from the old bushings, and made a slit in the metal casing using a hack saw, and got the old casing out. Then he bought bushings at the local auto parts store and got Pepboys to press the new bushings in.

russiankid
01-17-2007, 02:51 PM
yeah man.. a new lower control arm was like 15 bucks... plus the bushing is what stuck to the bolt...like i said cut it and get a new lower control arm and bolt.
If he goes this route, he will need to order the bolt that mounts the control arm to the chassis, because those get stuck as well. Well at least mine was, but only one side was completely stuck, the other side would just bent the whole mounting point so we had to cut it.

MessyHonda
01-17-2007, 02:56 PM
When my brother and I had to do this on my car, we had to cut the bolt and cut the bolt that mounts the lower control arm to the chassis(so we could remove the whole thing). After that my brother had drilled the rubber part out from the old bushings, and made a slit in the metal casing using a hack saw, and got the old casing out. Then he bought bushings at the local auto parts store and got Pepboys to press the new bushings in.

how much did they charge you to press em?

87lxiaccord
01-17-2007, 03:34 PM
set it on fire and melt the bushings out lol

russiankid
01-17-2007, 04:25 PM
how much did they charge you to press em?
Not sure because at that time my brother worked at Pepboys, so they allowed him to do it for free if i'm correct. It shouldn't be much tho.

MessyHonda
01-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Not sure because at that time my brother worked at Pepboys, so they allowed him to do it for free if i'm correct. It shouldn't be much tho.

yeah i got to get an extra pair of arms and get new poly bushings and swap em out on my car. new arms cost like 15 bucks if i get them from a friend...but i want poly bushings...il have to check the prices.

russiankid
01-17-2007, 04:42 PM
yeah i got to get an extra pair of arms and get new poly bushings and swap em out on my car. new arms cost like 15 bucks if i get them from a friend...but i want poly bushings...il have to check the prices.
The hardest part is getting everything off the car, assembly is easy. Just make sure when you tighten the bolts for the bushings that the car is sitting either on ramps or something that you can crawl under. Otherwise, the bushings can be harmed if you don't torque them down when they have weight on them.

MessyHonda
01-17-2007, 05:12 PM
The hardest part is getting everything off the car, assembly is easy. Just make sure when you tighten the bolts for the bushings that the car is sitting either on ramps or something that you can crawl under. Otherwise, the bushings can be harmed if you don't torque them down when they have weight on them.

the way my uncle works he uses the air compressor with a impact gun and we just screw it till it start clicking...lol...for me...my car is not rusted or anything so the parts come out real easy(knock on wood)

Blk87dx
01-18-2007, 02:06 AM
if only mine were easy. ima try agian and if i cant ill jus send it into my dads worK(micron) and ill have him force the fucker out. i need to get this fixed asap its my dd and i dont have another car.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-18-2007, 06:16 AM
If you have a hack saw you can cut through the bolt in about half an hour. I had to do that to my pinch fork bolt. MOOG manufactures a bushing kit that comes with a new bushing and bolt/nut set. That is what I purchased when I changed my bushings. If you visit www.rockauto.com, you should be able to find the kit pretty easily. When reassembling coat the bolt shank with antiseize. As mentioned before, always tighten suspension parts after the car has been lowered to the ground. HTH

Pico
01-18-2007, 07:28 AM
We had to use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade to do mine no matter what we used the bolt wouldnt budge so we cut it.
I got a new bolt and nut from the dealer and a replacement arm from work.

Blk87dx
01-18-2007, 08:56 AM
well i had a genius idea last night i really dont want to cut the bolt but i have a pickle fork and i can bend the metal out jus far enough to side the cv axel in. and since its cast iron i dont need to worry about it bending or breaking. gotta do it the cheap way right now im really broke.

Blk87dx
01-27-2007, 10:17 PM
well thanks to the help from vanilla i got my part in and i got my car put back 2gether. i had to drill the mother fucking bolt out. im so happy i have mill at my house. yay. well the honda is purring once agian.

njpeter
01-28-2007, 01:52 PM
how's the back feeling now?, mine was hurting just reading the thread..ahhh..the wonders of prescription vicadin, I love it and hate it at the same time, just like my 3g...:-) You can really hurt yourself when you're screwing with a stubborn bolt, adrenalin numbs pain and common sense

btw, ice is highly underrated as a back fixer, most folks go for a heating pad, which can actually make the problem worse, ice it 5 on and 5 off for 30 minutes.

when I get my physical therapy, I get heat with electrical stimulation ( that scrambles the nerve impulses up pretty good), then I get spinal decompression therapy on something called a DXR-9000 ( neat machine, checkit out if you've got disc problems, and you don';t have to be an old fart like me to have em, but you do need good medial insurance to get it..brutal expensive without insurance) then 15 minutes if ice, then I work with a therapist. Problem is it only works for a few days at a time right now.

Blk87dx
01-28-2007, 06:31 PM
eh the back is fine that bolt was a bitch but i went a really cheap way to fix it, that god i have a mill in my garage i jus cut the old bolt head off and drilled that fucker out and bam the new one went right in.