PDA

View Full Version : Battery Issue?

twofast4u
01-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey guys,

Well since winter officially started here in Toronto like 2 weeks ago as its been all rain for all of December and a little bit of january, my 89 accord seems to be having trouble starting after sitting for 9 hours or so. It would start as if the battery was dying but it would start. Now it still does that but after I drive it for 30 min or so and park it for 5 minutes, then try to start again it wont start. It's as if the battery died. I let the car sit for about an hour and a half then the car starts no problem. I'm so confused right now. But I'm willing to bet its the battery. It's been doing it for about a week now. If you know of anything else I should check, please let me know.

Thanks!

shepherd79
01-18-2007, 03:19 AM
Hey guys,
Well since winter officially started here in Toronto like 2 weeks ago as its been all rain for all of December and a little bit of january, my 89 accord seems to be having trouble starting after sitting for 9 hours or so. It would start as if the battery was dying but it would start. Now it still does that but after I drive it for 30 min or so and park it for 5 minutes, then try to start again it wont start. It's as if the battery died. I let the car sit for about an hour and a half then the car starts no problem. I'm so confused right now. But I'm willing to bet its the battery. It's been doing it for about a week now. If you know of anything else I should check, please let me know.
Thanks!
you can take your car to autoparts store like advance auto, autozone or others and they should be able to test your electrical system including the battery. You can always do it yourself with voltmeter.
running engine should produce around 13.5-14.4V to the battery.
the battery itself should have no less than 12V to start your car.

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 09:21 AM
yeah some batt dont work good in cold weather....i was looking at my batt and it says 840 cold cranking amps...some ppl upgrade to 850CCA batts

HondaBoy
01-18-2007, 09:34 AM
ah, same here more or less. its been cold and my battery is giving me some trouble. stereo is making it really noticeable like at night when my lights are on. i'm thinking of buying a new dry cell battery. with our horribly hot weather we have most of the year, maybe its worth it. i have a feeling that's what has killed many of the batterys i've had over the years. so extreme cold or hot does mess with them anyway. cant decide wheather to go with an orbit or optima. both are priced the same and have same warrentys.

led_fut
01-18-2007, 08:17 PM
check your battery terminals (simple yes i know)... i had guk in between mine, and it made the connection so weak it was like the battery was dead, but then if i jiggled the wires it would fire right up

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
check your battery terminals (simple yes i know)... i had guk in between mine, and it made the connection so weak it was like the battery was dead, but then if i jiggled the wires it would fire right up

lol i had to do that when i pluged in my amp...the bult was striped and i had to go get another one...i would wiggle the wire and it would start up