PDA

View Full Version : power steering assembly

mark_salad_bar
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
My power steering pump was covered in gunk and i would have puddles of power steering fluid every time my car sat in my drive way.....so i thought i would take it apart and buy a gasket kit for it. so i bought the kit from autozone for 13 dollars. it was very easy to do and i found that the main o ring was very worn out and that was where the leakage was coming from.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p132/phunkycharms101/pumpgasketassembly-1.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p132/phunkycharms101/pump4.jpg

mark_salad_bar
01-18-2007, 02:48 PM
sorry i meant to say disassembly ..and assembly..sorry for the crapy pic i took of it taken apart...i need a new camera.

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
sweet....looks good...

lostforawhile
01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
I just did the same thing with the kit from advance auto parts,cost me 30 bucks though. the only problem I had was o ring number three,thats the inlet side of the pump. that o ring leaked after putting it back together. mine was leaking from the pump seal originally. I fixed the wrong o ring with one from nappa for 50 cents. just make sure if it's leaking from the wrong fluid, that the system gets flushed out and replaced with honda fluid, if theres a bunch of prestone or whatever in the system, it will contaminate the new pump and it will leak again. I took the pump completly apart and cleaned every bit of fluid out of it. have you started your engine up yet with the new pump? if you haven't,turn the pump pulley by hand to run some fluid through it and prevent a dry start.

mark_salad_bar
01-18-2007, 07:07 PM
i havent put it back on yet ... do to the cold weather here in texas..i just put it back together today though..i cleaned it also part by part..i wasnt using honda fluid but this time i will make sure to use it..my leakage point was coming from o ring #9. and yeah i was wondering if it would be best to put some fluid in it before i put it back on..but now i know..thanks

russiankid
01-18-2007, 07:24 PM
i havent put it back on yet ... do to the cold weather here in texas..i just put it back together today though..i cleaned it also part by part..i wasnt using honda fluid but this time i will make sure to use it..my leakage point was coming from o ring #9. and yeah i was wondering if it would be best to put some fluid in it before i put it back on..but now i know..thanks
When i rebuilt mine last weekend, i put some fluid in the inlet pipe before installing it to make sure it actually works. If it works, you will notice a little fluid coming out or see fluid in the high pressure hose outlet.

snoopyloopy
01-18-2007, 08:11 PM
speaking of power steering repair, i'm going to replace my rack sometime soon. so do i need this seal kit (http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?year=1989&make=HO&model=ACC-LXI4-001&category=All&part=P/S%20Seal%20Kit&dp=true) or is that for the rack & pinion unit itself if i was going to rebuild? i'm using a reman piece, btw.