PDA

View Full Version : Exide Orbital battery

HondaBoy
01-18-2007, 04:46 PM
well, have been meaning to get a battery for quite a while. so i decided it was about time for something good since i've been using my datsuns small battery to run my honda. the stereo was killing the battery so i had enough of that. anyways, its an exide orbital. much like an optima battery, but not as expensive. this one i got has more power than the lower powered optima i looked at with the same warrenty. and the optima was a lot more expensive. this came out to about $130, has a 2 year free replacement and prorated for 84 months. the specs for the one i have are: 1000 Cranking Amps / 770 Cold Cranking Amps / 95 Reserve Capacity. anyone had one of these?
http://www.chiyoda-denso.com/image_goods/goo_batt-2-exide.jpg
http://www.stealth316.com/images/exide_select_orbital_75.jpg

Pico
01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I have one close to that one. I picked it up at Kragens almost a year ago and havent had any problems with it

ghettogeddy
01-18-2007, 05:52 PM
i would have spent the little extra for a red top u dont have to have a yellow top

jigga89SEi
01-18-2007, 06:02 PM
do they sell those or optima at sears?

ghettogeddy
01-18-2007, 06:09 PM
optima

HondaBoy
01-18-2007, 06:20 PM
^ so what about optima? this orbital was a better deal over all and has more power to go on. yeah they have optimas at sears, start at $159 +tax for 12 volt batteries.

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
depends...i remember jason got the napa equivalent of the optima and he said it leaked

REn0
01-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I have seen these at Wally mart and was curious about them

cygnus x-1
01-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Cheap batteries. I got my red top from here:

http://www.remybattery.com/

C|

ghettogeddy
01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
^ so what about optima? this orbital was a better deal over all and has more power to go on. yeah they have optimas at sears, start at $159 +tax for 12 volt batteries.
well if im not mistaken optimas have a really really good warranty

MessyHonda
01-18-2007, 09:08 PM
yeah optima.....last batt you will own....dennis has had his for like 4 or 5 years and he said it still runs good.

Jasonf860
01-19-2007, 05:05 AM
depends...i remember jason got the napa equivalent of the optima and he said it leaked
Yeah, the Exide Orbital is the Napa equivalent. Yes, mine leaked within the first 3 days of owning it. I went back to the store, they verified that it was leaking and was a defect in the battery, and gave me a new one, no charge. Since then, I have had no problems at all with it. Mine is identical to this one, except it says napa on it along with the other writing.

Oldblueaccord
02-02-2007, 06:54 PM
I got a Optima yellow top. its a deep cycle battery made for discharhes and charging up again.
It ended going up into my Scout which sits alot,So far in 2 years it been great. I had the same trouble heat from the headers cooking the batteries. SI im trying it out. Regular batteries only last 2 years if I was lucky.

ANother plus it runs high voltage charge. 13.2 I think I haven't checked it in a while.

Only con is I think I paid 189$ for it. it is pretty big but very very heavy. Not even sure it will fit into the Honda but since its gell you can mount it anywhere and in any position.

wp

bobafett
02-04-2007, 11:14 AM
haha i have killed 5 red top optimas. they use recycled lead now, from what i have heard. anyway optimas are garbage now. they USED to be a really good battery for the money.

I am on to a orbital battery now too. haven't used it, its still in the box, but I have heard they use better materials, similar to what optima USED TO use. :)

Oldblueaccord
02-04-2007, 08:38 PM
What is your use if you mind me asking?

My rule of thumb,experience, is if a "normal" car battery is totally discharged more than twice its pretty much junk.

I went with the deep cylce for this particlular reason. Now the flip to that is deep cycle or "boat" batteries arn't good for starting in general so I wanted to see if the yellow would be able to handle it but so far in 2 plus years it has. But this is my first and its only been 2 yrs on it.

wp

HondaBoy
02-05-2007, 02:23 PM
the true test will be in the summer months for my new battery. so far, it spins up the engine just as it did the first time i got it. but seriously, i cant really beat a 7 year prorated warranty, not for the price i paid compared to an optima.

Jasonf860
02-06-2007, 06:10 AM
What is your use if you mind me asking?

My rule of thumb,experience, is if a "normal" car battery is totally discharged more than twice its pretty much junk.

I went with the deep cylce for this particlular reason. Now the flip to that is deep cycle or "boat" batteries arn't good for starting in general so I wanted to see if the yellow would be able to handle it but so far in 2 plus years it has. But this is my first and its only been 2 yrs on it.

wp
Optima yellow top is a "Dual cycle" battery. It is designed for starting AND deep cycle. The red top is a strictly starting battery, and the blue top is strictly deep cycle.

cygnus x-1
02-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Umm, blue top is marine, starting or dual purpose.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/marine/starter___deep_cycle.html

Just trying to keep you guys honest. :)

C|

MessyHonda
02-06-2007, 10:30 AM
so wut is the best batt?

red or yellow....i only have a 600RMS amp

Legend_master
02-06-2007, 12:00 PM
so wut is the best batt?

red or yellow....i only have a 600RMS amp

I have been running a red since I did the swap 1 year +. I have never had a starting problem due to the battery and it performs the same under cold or hot weather. It is very heavy though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/Battery.jpg

HondaBoy
02-06-2007, 05:29 PM
i noticed my orbital seemed lighter than the optima. wonder if thats right? felt like it was the same weight as my old battery.