PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem, Need Help, Long Story!!!!!!!!!

PearlDrummer00
01-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Its kinda a long story so here it goes.....I rebuilt my motor right? When i started driving, it was sluggish, and i couldnt floor it because it would bog down...i figured because the rings havent been broken in ...ok so i wait...and wait.....and wait some more until finally i realize after 2040 miles.....it should be haulin ass. I noticed that my slugishness was gettin better and better with each week. The car didnt die at every stop light either...But i still couldnt floor it. And what i mean when i say i cant floor it, is that i try to and the car wont down shift...it just bogs down back to idle, kinda as if you were cruising and you slowly apply the brakes...UNTIL my rpms were close to idle while it was bogging down THEN it decides to down shift (auto btw) and this is the weird part. IF it "decides" to down shift it will only be for a min, then it will jerk foward cuz it was just haulin ass and all of a sudden it wants to sit at a constant RPM and STAY there until i left off the gas again. ANYWAY So evauntally my check engine light comes on.....throws the number 2 O2 sensor. YES!! I thought my problem is solved...i swap it with a new one i bought that day. EUREKA!!! everything works PERFECTLY!!!! that day i was haulin ass up and down my nieghbor hood streets causing havoc lol.....but only did i find that the next morning when i start up my car, its back to its old self....ok so i left it like this for a month and a half. I hated driving because there was something wrong my car and i couldnt figure it out. FINALLY around X-mas the ECU throws another code....this time its the Top Dead Center sensor....i thought for a min and said "well this makes sence as the car wont down shift right and i have an occasional back fire." So i swap dizzys. Once again the car runs great! then i mess with timeing and get it back to where i had it. There very next day its happens AGAIN!! I CANT FLOOR IT ONCE AGAIN!!! A guy on prelude power says to check my drop down cable...that was fine i adjusted it both ways and no difference in how the car performed. IM STUMPED!!!! as of now my ECU is throwing NO CODE. My car runs perfect UNLESS you put the pedal to the floor. I have one theory that might hold up....when i replaced my tps sensor i couldnt find a 3rd gen accord so i took it off a prelude (forget which one) but it fit perfect....could this be it??? even tho there the same chape and everything are they set for different cars? I dont kno Im hopeing someone on here can give me some goooood advice. I am doing a 5 speed swap real real soon....coud my auto be acting up?
anyway sorry for the long story...i just couldnt hold it in any more. but lets say there is something terribly wrong....even if this was so how come after swapping the 02 sensor and tdc sensor it run awesome for literally ONE day???

ANYONE?????

Vanilla Sky
01-18-2007, 08:32 PM
ok, i'm assuming your'e resetting the code each time you replace a part. if that's the case, it may take that long for your ECU to throw the code again.

somewhere around there, there's a how-to adjust the TPS. i checked the how-to sections and came up with nothing. if adjusting it does nothing for you, i'd just replace it. you can go with a junkyard part, with one from a running engine that's being parted, or from the honda dealer.

PearlDrummer00
01-18-2007, 09:33 PM
yea i just wasnt sure if the tps theory would hold up....i did reset ecu with the O2 sensor but not with the tdc sensor..... i guess i should do that then and see what happenes

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-19-2007, 06:00 AM
TPS sensor is responsible for telling the ECU that you are at WOT and as such to go into open loop mode. If the TPS sensor does not trigger this, your engine will not perform well at high RPM and WOT because the ECU cannot switch into the proper control mode for the situation. HTH

P.S.: Open loop mode is enabled only above a certain engine temperature threshhold and speed. This may explain your moments of normal engine operation before it went to crap again.

PearlDrummer00
01-19-2007, 06:00 PM
well believe it or not i reset my ecu cuz i forgot to after the dizzy swap....IT WORKS....funny how that was soo simple lol. I feel like a newb...

MessyHonda
01-19-2007, 07:13 PM
well believe it or not i reset my ecu cuz i forgot to after the dizzy swap....IT WORKS....funny how that was soo simple lol. I feel like a newb...

sweeeet! :thumbup:

Vanilla Sky
01-19-2007, 07:20 PM
if you have any more problems out of it, then check your TPS. that's the next thing in line.

we're all glad that it's running fine now with just an ECU reset.