PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Losing Effectiveness

bushbean
01-19-2007, 07:46 AM
The P/S works; it can be turned while the car is stationary. However, it used to be that it can be turned with one hand--maybe even one finger. Now, it takes both hands and some extra muscle to turn it. Fluid looks good. Belt is tight. What could be wrong? Possible that fluid passages are starting to clog? I really miss being able to drive with one hand and not feel like I've gone to the gym after I drive.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Your pump may simply be wearing out and not supplying enough pressure. Also, because these cars have speed-sensitive power steering, it is governed by a speed sensor in the transmission. If that fails, it may prevent you from obtaining full power steering effect when needed.

bushbean
01-19-2007, 08:08 AM
...Also, because these cars have speed-sensitive power steering, it is governed by a speed sensor in the transmission....

Eureka! I first noticed this problem right after I replaced the clutch. I had to disconnect hoses on the transmission that was also connected to the PS. Is it possible the hoses got mixed up when it was being reinstalled?

Also, if the pump is wearing out, shouldn't it start leaking? The pump is very dry in my case.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Eureka! I first noticed this problem right after I replaced the clutch. I had to disconnect hoses on the transmission that was also connected to the PS. Is it possible the hoses got mixed up when it was being reinstalled?

Also, if the pump is wearing out, shouldn't it start leaking? The pump is very dry in my case.

You may have mixed up the hoses. I just finished a clutch job and didn't bother disconnecting the hoses, but they seemed long enough to be reversed at the sensor. The pump may not necessarily leak when it wears out (just rebuilt one as well :-p). The wear may be on the internal seals, the metal rotors, or perhaps the relief valve is simply stuck open inside. Considering the fact that you fiddled with the P/S speed sensor, I'd tackle that first. Let me know if you need pictures as I should be able to snap a shot of the hose routing on my car. HTH

MessyHonda
01-19-2007, 09:54 AM
my speed sensor was lose and my power steering at high speeds felt like a ballerina i just fixed it and now it works perfect

bushbean
01-19-2007, 11:03 AM
my speed sensor was lose and my power steering at high speeds felt like a ballerina i just fixed it and now it works perfect

What does a ballerina feel like?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-19-2007, 01:16 PM
What does a ballerina feel like?

Light and tipsy? :) Strange language on Messy's behalf. He Probably meant that the sensor was not engaging the differential gear and thus he got full assist at all times. this would make the steering feel way too light.

MessyHonda
01-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Light and tipsy? :) Strange language on Messy's behalf. He Probably meant that the sensor was not engaging the differential gear and thus he got full assist at all times. this would make the steering feel way too light.

Rus you nailed it in the head.....at 70mph it was sooo light....i bet it good for like autox.....it was too light...just a lil bump you were over at the other lane...i was worried about it but pico assured me that it was not a major problem...i drove it like that for 3 days b4 i got around to fix it

bushbean
01-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Update:

I checked the PS hoses at the speed sensor, and they've been attached properly. They were marked before, and the hoses are attached to the correct mark.

I took another look at the PS pump. This time I noticed fluid leak on the pulley of the pump. Fluid appears to be coming out around the shaft. Thus, the conclusions are (1) pump is leaky, and (2) pump is worn out.

I know there are rebuilt kit that would fix the leak. However, does rebuilt kit fix the problem with worn pump?

russiankid
01-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Update:
I checked the PS hoses at the speed sensor, and they've been attached properly. They were marked before, and the hoses are attached to the correct mark.
I took another look at the PS pump. This time I noticed fluid leak on the pulley of the pump. Fluid appears to be coming out around the shaft. Thus, the conclusions are (1) pump is leaky, and (2) pump is worn out.
I know there are rebuilt kit that would fix the leak. However, does rebuilt kit fix the problem with worn pump?
The rebuild kit is just several different rubber seals. Your best bet would be to just take the pump apart and see how it looks inside, clean it up and rebuild it with new seals. Then also change your PS fluid to Honda fluid and see how that goes. Also make sure the speed sensor is all the way into the transmission. Otherwise, it will not function properly.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-21-2007, 11:48 AM
The pump relies on very close tolerances between the rotors inside and the housing. If those are out of spec, then the pump will loose its effectiveness. Since you disconnected the P/S hoses while changing the clutch, did you by any chance refill with just generic fluid? P/S fluid not approved for Honda cars will deteriorate the seals in the system and cause leaks. Also, the P/S system in russiankid's car (my former DD) acted rather strange until I changed the fluid with OEM Honda stuff. I'd suggest changing the fluid to Honda-compatible or dealer-bought stuff. If the performance improves, then your pump isn't dead but only leaking. A leaking pump is a 2 hour job at most including removal, clean up, seal replacement, and reassembly/reinstall. HTH

bushbean
01-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I honestly don't remember what PS fluid I used because I did the clutch job at a friend's garage. My friend filled the PS with fluid he had on the shelf. I expect he used the Honda-only fluid because he is very knowledgeable about Hondas.

However, I have no idea what fluid was used by the previous owner. I think Honda was not too smart to require a special PS fluid. I mean, there must be thousands of unnecessary dead PS pumps and racks because people don't know about this unique requirement.

I think I'll first replace the seals and refill with Honda-fluid. That should stop the leak. If that doesn't improve the feel of the steering, I guess I'll get a new pump from the junkyard. There are a plephora of 3geez to choose from at the local junkyard.

russiankid
01-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I honestly don't remember what PS fluid I used because I did the clutch job at a friend's garage. My friend filled the PS with fluid he had on the shelf. I expect he used the Honda-only fluid because he is very knowledgeable about Hondas.
However, I have no idea what fluid was used by the previous owner. I think Honda was not too smart to require a special PS fluid. I mean, there must be thousands of unnecessary dead PS pumps and racks because people don't know about this unique requirement.
I think I'll first replace the seals and refill with Honda-fluid. That should stop the leak. If that doesn't improve the feel of the steering, I guess I'll get a new pump from the junkyard. There are a plephora of 3geez to choose from at the local junkyard.Tell us your results.

race12001
01-21-2007, 01:02 PM
when i put fluid in mine i use merkon/dextron (auto tranny fluid) it does fine

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-21-2007, 01:36 PM
when i put fluid in mine i use merkon/dextron (auto tranny fluid) it does fine

Some P/S systems (like my BMW) do use ATF, but I'd be weary of using that in a Honda system considering all the horror stories about premature failures with the wrong fluid.

twofast4u
06-20-2007, 06:25 AM
Hey, Sorry to bring up an old thread but...my car is having a similar problem. The steering works fine when i first start the car for a minute then it becomes hard as a rock...Next time I have the car on the hoist im going to check the speed sensor since i just replaced my engine. I know the pump is fine because it worked fine in the car it was in previously. Let me know if I should check for something else. while I have it in the air.

Thanks

dalinxz
06-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey, Sorry to bring up an old thread but...my car is having a similar problem. The steering works fine when i first start the car for a minute then it becomes hard as a rock...Next time I have the car on the hoist im going to check the speed sensor since i just replaced my engine. I know the pump is fine because it worked fine in the car it was in previously. Let me know if I should check for something else. while I have it in the air.
Thanks

did you check if there's enough fluid, because it may just need to be topped off, since when you turn it on it will take what it can, I ended up removing the entire rack and pinion it was work but it wasn't really all that bad, by the way where do you get it on the hoist?

88Accord-DX
06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
My power steering lost all effectiveness cause the rack leaks & need to replace it. Think I will put some Honda fluid in it to see what power steering feels like. (don't mind me, just rambling) :violin:

twofast4u
06-23-2007, 06:08 AM
yea the fluid is topped up and I just replaced the steering rack so im still lost

russiankid
06-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Maybe the pump needs a rebuild? I rebuilt and cleaned out my pump, put in a new rack and works great. Very smooth.

LX-incredible
06-23-2007, 07:54 AM
The speed sensor is more or less of an oil pump, except instead of building up pressure at speed, it relieves it. If it becomes worn, it will always be bleeding back fluid, resulting in stiff steering at low speed.

twofast4u
06-23-2007, 05:59 PM
hmmm then sounds like my problem...i guess it is the speed sensor i havent had a chance to put it in the air yet...The whole power steering components were working fine in the car i took it out of...so the pump should be fine also there are no leaks

ahmad89
06-23-2007, 06:09 PM
If you added brake fluid or a heavier weight fluid, that will happen. My dad added brake fluid to mine and it was hard to turn stationary, i drained my fluid got new fluid thats for honda and acura cars and now it turns easily.

russiankid
06-23-2007, 06:12 PM
hmmm then sounds like my problem...i guess it is the speed sensor i havent had a chance to put it in the air yet...The whole power steering components were working fine in the car i took it out of...so the pump should be fine also there are no leaks
No need to lift the car to replace the speed sensor, it is easier but not needed.

twofast4u
06-24-2007, 06:26 AM
If you added brake fluid or a heavier weight fluid, that will happen. My dad added brake fluid to mine and it was hard to turn stationary, i drained my fluid got new fluid thats for honda and acura cars and now it turns easily.
well i guess i may as well replace the fluid while im working on the problem.. now the real dumb question is where is the drain for the power steering fluid?

Demon1024
09-30-2007, 03:19 PM
well i guess i may as well replace the fluid while im working on the problem.. now the real dumb question is where is the drain for the power steering fluid?

My dumb question too.where's the correct place to drain from. i'm assuming the gear box but which line? i'm one of the fools who used wrong fluid and i need to get it out completly! did'nt figure it out till i got a vehicle speed sensor code so i'm replaceing that to. Is the sensor interchangable from all 84-89? got one in a burnt auto trans or i could use the one outa my 4 speed? going in to a manual 5 speed. i hope there is'nt a how to on this i didn't see it just a bunch of which fluid u should use...

bubba g
10-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Take both hoses off and let it drain. Then turn the wheel back and forth several time to empty the rack. I hope you didn't use brake fluid like someone else did in this thread. It will swell all the seals and cause bad things to happen. Although I have added a little brake fluid to transmissions and ps systms to swell leaking seals and temporarily fix leaks.

Demon1024
10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
there's three hose's? i flushed it right at the reservoir watchin which it cam out of,the two on the front but whats the back one exactly.i guess i go look at it closer...