PDA

View Full Version : CV joints clicking

Hazwan
01-20-2007, 07:10 PM
I know my driver's side (RHD car) CV joint is bad for a while already, the boots are replaced and regreased like 60k ago, and its starting to make clicking noise only when turning like 30k ago. My dad said its fine other than the noise.

Now its starting to make clicking noise even when moving forward in gear. The question is, how long do you think it will last? Will it explode or something?:D

russiankid
01-20-2007, 07:47 PM
I know my driver's side (RHD car) CV joint is bad for a while already, the boots are replaced and regreased like 60k ago, and its starting to make clicking noise only when turning like 30k ago. My dad said its fine other than the noise.
Now its starting to make clicking noise even when moving forward in gear. The question is, how long do you think it will last? Will it explode or something?:D
Really cant tell. My friends mom's van would constantly click while driving until they finally gave out. So replace them ASAP.

ZackieDarko
01-20-2007, 08:13 PM
mine have been making a bit of a grinding sound for the last year ...i know i know i should replace them....any way...mine havent exploded yet so i think you will be ok for a while

forrest89sei
01-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Well in personal Experience Mine started clicking @ 205,000 miles and i wanted till 206,000 Miles. But they had gotten to the point that they fell apart.

If a CV Locks I think it can damage your tranny, if it splits the same thing.

So if you have the funds to do it, DO IT

MessyHonda
01-20-2007, 10:45 PM
time to replace them

snoopyloopy
01-20-2007, 11:00 PM
if they're clicking audibly, they're already bad. with that being said, i've driven probably about 6-10k miles on my clicking joints.

Blk87dx
01-20-2007, 11:07 PM
well jus to give you a visual on what happenes here it is the top cv halfshaft is a brand new one. and well the bottom one is the busted one.

http://a605.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_525a4605ea477cad64de97fe604de3dc.jpg

ill give you some advice right now because im in the process of putting in my new one. be prepaired to run into shit that you dont want to happen unless your shit happens to come apparts eaiser then mine. but they are a bitch to replace.

Hazwan
01-20-2007, 11:07 PM
So I guess I should be fine for another like 1k miles? keep in mind they are clicking all the time for a while (I think). I noticed it today while driving with windows down.

Don't have enough funds to do it thats why :(

edit: just saw the above pic. damn I need to borrow some money from my dad :(

MessyHonda
01-20-2007, 11:18 PM
i bad CVs since i got the car....i drove it for 5k? until i replaced them they didnt make noise tho...but the boot was all torn up and the grease was everyware...not cool

snoopyloopy
01-23-2007, 05:59 PM
yeah, same here. i don't think mine is as bad as in the pic yet. i haven't changed mine yet bc i'm going to replace my ps rack and tranny swap at the same time. so it'll be a bit more involved than pop one out and pop the new one in.

2ndGenGuy
01-23-2007, 06:21 PM
It's not really that hard on the 1g. There are 4 bolts to disconnect the lower control arm so you can swing the suspension out. The hard part is getting the axle nuts off. You will need either an impact gun or a breaker bar with a nice long extension pipe.

HondaBoy
01-24-2007, 09:39 PM
breaker bar works really well. i ended up using a breaker bar with a pipe over it last time i worked on my friends accord. but yeah, impact gun makes it nice. although sometimes they dont have enough torque to break some axle nuts loose if they've been on there a while. thats where a breaker bar comes into play. i still need to repalce my left side cv axle, although its only about 4 years old. i have a lifetime warrenty on them.

Oldblueaccord
01-25-2007, 08:04 AM
So I guess I should be fine for another like 1k miles? keep in mind they are clicking all the time for a while (I think). I noticed it today while driving with windows down.
Don't have enough funds to do it thats why :(
edit: just saw the above pic. damn I need to borrow some money from my dad :(

You can take a finger full of grease and push it into the joint itself. If your real tricky you can make a boot with some duct tape to keep the grease in for a while.

Should be able to get the CV shaft reman from China for like 59$. I new one from O reillys is like 89$.

wp