PDA

View Full Version : Motor Mount Removal

bushbean
01-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Could someone give a quick description of inspection and removal of the front and back motor mount for a stick shift accord? I highly suspect them to be worn out.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-21-2007, 11:43 AM
To remove front mount you simply loosen and remove the large nut on top. Then loosen but do not remove the two bolts that hold the mount to the lower cross member. Use a floor jack to raise the engine until you can slide the mount out. The rear is a bit more difficult. You may want to remove the airbox (if your car is carbed...fill out your profile please) and then use some long extensions to reach the big nut on top of the rear mount. After you accomplish that, you'll need to come in from the bottom with a regular ratchet and loosen the two bolts that hold the mount in place. Again, raise the engine and slide the mount out. Do only one mount at a time. My rear mount bolts were very rusty and required lots of PB blaster to come out. Be careful not to strip them as they thread into the cross member. Hope this helps.

njpeter
01-21-2007, 01:40 PM
yes, please let us know how you make out ( especially on the rear)..majestic honda seems to have the best price on mounts $60 for the front one..I have to do the front mount on my new daily driver, the engine is really thunking going into drive..the rear mount is going to have to wait for warmer weather, or I may have to pony up and have a garage do it.

if you live in north jersey or nassau/suffolklong island and want to make a couple of bucks..PM me I could use some help with this crap, my back isn't happy right now and it's going to be this way till teh weather warms up a bit.

MessyHonda
01-21-2007, 06:14 PM
if you want a super stiff motor mount....get some widow weld and pump thoes puppies full it of also check out the manual you dont want to jack up the motor by the oil pan or you will be hating life.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-21-2007, 07:06 PM
if you want a super stiff motor mount....get some widow weld and pump thoes puppies full it of also check out the manual you dont want to jack up the motor by the oil pan or you will be hating life.

Jacking up the motor at the oil pan should not cause any damage if you place some protective material between the jack and the pan (block of wood).

MessyHonda
01-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Jacking up the motor at the oil pan should not cause any damage if you place some protective material between the jack and the pan (block of wood).

some people are not that smart....:bong: