PDA

View Full Version : No punch....

psdrummin
01-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I have an 88 Accord. It seems that I don't have any punch when I accelerate. I can floor the gas and it will slowly accelerate. If I go up a hill and give it power it will slowly rise......I have just put in both fuel filters, electronic fuel pump, and carb. Is there something else that could help??? I'm not Joe mechanic but I did the filters and minor repair work....

A18A
01-22-2007, 03:37 PM
fuel injected or carb?

MessyHonda
01-22-2007, 03:43 PM
fuel injected or carb?

must be carb....lol

bobafett
01-22-2007, 04:08 PM
I have an 88 Accord. It seems that I don't have any punch when I accelerate. I can floor the gas and it will slowly accelerate. If I go up a hill and give it power it will slowly rise......I have just put in both fuel filters, electronic fuel pump, and carb. Is there something else that could help??? I'm not Joe mechanic but I did the filters and minor repair work....

reading comprehension guys.... its not too difficult...

carbed accords are notoriously gutless, does the car run worse than 'normal', or has it always been gutless, and you are just getting around to the tuneup to try to fix the issue? it may just be that u have an 88 carbed accord, and thats how they are. :)

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-22-2007, 04:32 PM
You are working with 98 horsepower if it were new. After the wear and tear that comes with age and the losses to the drivetrain you'll be lucky to pump 75 horsepower (just under 80 percent) to the pavement. That really won't get you moving very quick. These engines are pretty good on torque though. When I used my 3G as a daily driver I really got used to the lack of power and made up for it with adapted shifting (these engines do not mind being revved a little). If your car is auto and is sluggish, maybe it fails to downshift at the proper time. This can be caused by a misadjusted throttle valve cable that connect to the transmission TV valve. Search for TV cable on here and you should get a few threads about it. The adjustment procedure can be found in the digital shop manual. HTH

MessyHonda
01-22-2007, 04:44 PM
reading comprehension guys.... its not too difficult...
carbed accords are notoriously gutless, does the car run worse than 'normal', or has it always been gutless, and you are just getting around to the tuneup to try to fix the issue? it may just be that u have an 88 carbed accord, and thats how they are. :)

yeah i saw it but didnt want to edit it....i dont want to have the wut can i bolt on to my car discussion thats why we have a search button

3G Jester
01-22-2007, 04:57 PM
timing belt will also cause you to loose the "punch" feeling. how many miles do you have and whats the maint record?

psdrummin
01-22-2007, 05:27 PM
it's a carb 5 speed, 240,000....it's not a major deal, i was just wondering if I could improve it at all.