PDA

View Full Version : transmission lxi/ egr error?

honda
01-26-2007, 08:54 AM
I recently had an 89 dx transmission put into my 87 accord lxi, and it seemed to be driving fine. After about sixty miles, I got an ecu error code, it's a code 12. I looked that up, and it says it's an egr system error. Also after the repair, the power steering isn't working. I will add ps fluid, but that seemed a little strange, I didn't think they needed to do anything with the power steering when replacing the transmission?

Looking up someone else's experience with this error 12, what they did was to replace their egr valve and sensor, but they still got the error. Then other things that were suggested to them were a problem with the vacuum line, or the egu control solenoid valve.

From the kind of work done (transmission put in), does anyone know what is likely the cause of this error?

I turned the car off and back on, the pgm-fi light did not come back on, but the error code is still there in the ecu.

Also, how critical is this error? In other words can I drive this for a while (up to 1000 miles), or does it need to be corrected right away?

MessyHonda
01-26-2007, 09:05 AM
is the car manual or automatic...the power steering works with the speed sensor off the transmition...so the faster you go the stiffer the steering gets and the slower you go like if you are parking the softer it gets....i heard some people say to check the speed sensor it has 2 lines that goes to it with power steering fluid. and that should be different from your EGR problem. just replace the valve and hope it works.

shepherd79
01-26-2007, 09:39 AM
1. Power steering has a speed sensor that is locate on top of the transmission. They could have disconnected PS lines and drained some of the fluid out. Nothing to be worry about. Just had more fluid and turn steering wheel all the way to the right and left. check and the level and you should be good to do. If the problem continues, they could connected the lines back wards.
2. EGR, they probably had to disconnect all the vacuum lines that go from the black box. check the line for any cracks or wholes. if you have vacuum pump (you can rent it at auto parts store) check the EGR valve for vacuum. It should hold the vacuum over a long periods of time. If it can't hold the vacuum, just replace the valve, reset ecu and you are done.
If it holds the vacuum, remove the valve and try cleaning it. Over time carbon can build up inside the valve and cause it to stick. Take the carb cleaner and clean it on the inside of it. it should move free without sticking to anything. Make sure you reset ECU when you put it back.
If non of this things work, just go to junk yard and get yourself new black box. they are cheap and a lot easier to replace.

honda
02-11-2007, 04:38 AM
I added more ps fluid, but the fluid level got low again. I added one bottle, drove it, checked the level, it was still low, I added another bottle (Honda ps fluid), the level was fulll when I filled it the next day it was low again.

What black box are you talking about?

When I asked the mechanics, they said there were two lines from the transmission that connected up into the steering column, but he didn't know what they were. He said there was nothing they did with putting in the transmission that should have affected the egr (air intake) system. From what you're saying it sounds like they did work on stuff that would have affected the egr system?

russiankid
02-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Are you noticing any puddles under the car? Get a flash light, and look at the back of the transmission(ontop, from engine bay). FInd the two hoses going to the sensor, make sure they are not leaking. If they are, replace them(kind of a pain tho).

shepherd79
02-11-2007, 11:04 AM
if you don't find any leaks. take out the speed sensor out of the tranny and inspect it.
sometimes when you remove them they have tendency to crack on the bottom, leaking PS fluid into the tranny.

POS carb
02-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Hello...
Need to know if it is auto or manual.
the power steering pumps through a device on the transmission that spins and regulates pressure in the line and it gives a signal to the speedometer.
The might have crushed/cracked it, kinked or punctured a metal line, hooked the lines up backwards.

The EGR has a lift sensor on top of it, they might have disconnected or damaged it.
Transmission work is not easy in these engine bays.

now whether or not you can keep driving depends on if your power steering is leaking on the ground or into your transmission oil.

If you turn on the car in your driveway and turn left to right a few times you should be able to spot a leak... if there are no visible leaks but the level drops check your transmission oil level, make sure it isn't rising or getting discolored

honda
02-14-2007, 01:35 PM
It is a manual 5speed transmission, the transmission fluid is engine oil (that's what the mechanic told me and put into it). My car leaks oil, so I'm not sure I would be able to tell by looking at the ground if the ps fluid is leaking to the ground. Isn't ps fluid the same color as engine oil?

"Whether or not I can keep driving it or not" - are you saying that leaking ps fluid is going to make the car undriveable/damage the transmission or engine?

>Hello...
>Need to know if it is auto or manual.
>the power steering pumps through a device on the transmission that spins >and regulates pressure in the line and it gives a signal to the speedometer.
>The might have crushed/cracked it, kinked or punctured a metal line, hooked >the lines up backwards.

>The EGR has a lift sensor on top of it, they might have disconnected or >damaged it.
>Transmission work is not easy in these engine bays.

>now whether or not you can keep driving depends on if your power steering >is leaking on the ground or into your transmission oil.

>If you turn on the car in your driveway and turn left to right a few times you >should be able to spot a leak... if there are no visible leaks but the level >drops check your transmission oil level, make sure it isn't rising or getting >discolored

Would you have to uninstall the transmission to do this? What if the speed sensor is cracked-would you be able to see it? And what do you do if the speed sensor is cracked?

There's another place I can take the car that can do a computerized diagnostic test to see what the problem with the egr system is. They said they can also check for a ps fluid leak at the same time. But if the ps fluid is leaking into the transmission, how would they see that?

>Take the speed sensor out of the tranny and inspect it.
>sometimes when you remove them they have tendency to crack on the >bottom, leaking PS fluid into the tranny.

honda
02-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. My response to your questions is below. Any response to this would be greatly appreciated.

----------
Re: transmission lxi/ egr error?
It is a manual 5speed transmission, the transmission fluid is engine oil (that's what the mechanic told me and put into it). My car leaks oil, so I'm not sure I would be able to tell by looking at the ground if the ps fluid is leaking to the ground. Isn't ps fluid the same color as engine oil?

"Whether or not I can keep driving it or not" - are you saying that leaking ps fluid is going to make the car undriveable/damage the transmission or engine?

>Hello...
>Need to know if it is auto or manual.
>the power steering pumps through a device on the transmission that spins >and regulates pressure in the line and it gives a signal to the speedometer.
>The might have crushed/cracked it, kinked or punctured a metal line, hooked >the lines up backwards.

>The EGR has a lift sensor on top of it, they might have disconnected or >damaged it.
>Transmission work is not easy in these engine bays.

>now whether or not you can keep driving depends on if your power steering >is leaking on the ground or into your transmission oil.

>If you turn on the car in your driveway and turn left to right a few times you >should be able to spot a leak... if there are no visible leaks but the level >drops check your transmission oil level, make sure it isn't rising or getting >discolored

Would you have to uninstall the transmission to do this? What if the speed sensor is cracked-would you be able to see it? And what do you do if the speed sensor is cracked?

There's another place I can take the car that can do a computerized diagnostic test to see what the problem with the egr system is. They said they can also check for a ps fluid leak at the same time. But if the ps fluid is leaking into the transmission, how would they see that?

>Take the speed sensor out of the tranny and inspect it.
>sometimes when you remove them they have tendency to crack on the >bottom, leaking PS fluid into the tranny.