PDA

View Full Version : Power steering cooler???

kudd
09-05-2002, 07:37 AM
Hey guys,

Anybody know if there is any problem with bypassing the cooling loop on the power steering line that runs in front of condenser on an 89 LX-i?

My kid hit a rock that some little pukes had put in the middle of a bridge, broke that line and the left motor mount off the engine. We have bypassed that cooling loop but am wondering if anybody thinks we are asking for trouble of some sort.

Also, am thnking we can make a bracket to mount left motor to the engine pulling bracket that is already there. Any thought's?

Thanks.

AZmike
09-05-2002, 10:31 AM
Running without the loop for a few weeks shouldn't be a big deal, but if you leave it like that your pump is likely to wear out sooner with the extra heat.

Try looking into salvage yards. You could probably get another cooling line pretty cheap. Same for the motor mount. If you use something that bolts on to the car's frame you'll probably get a noticeable increase in vibration.

smufguy
09-05-2002, 11:38 AM
also what u can do is get a pwr steering cooler from any preludes which tend to have heat sink fins like the toyota corolla gts. Any pwr steering cooler should work fine as long as they dont slop around and fit in the stock hose snug. if u dont want the pwr steering at all, u can remove it too and save some space.

kudd
09-06-2002, 05:56 AM
Thanks guys,

Anything in a yard around here (VT) is likely to be pretty rusted (like the broken one) but I'll check and look at new too. Don't want to loose the power steering.

Guess I could see how it handled w/o it if I shut of engine and coasted down a hill. Would ditching the PS give a little performance boost due to lees belt/drag on engine?

Thanks again...

smufguy
09-06-2002, 11:36 AM
not really. but it would save u some space and u see, shutting off ur engine while coasting down is not a recomended thing to do unless ur car stalls out. anyways, vermont where? if u want i can look up in my junkyard and i can guarentee. they got 3gs like u would never see in any junkyard. once, there were 13 3gs in the junk yard. yeah, its not a typo, its 13. i ripped the parts for my conversion like a lil guy lost in a toy store. i came out grinning like a big ass fool. cause i also sneaked out stuff. hahaha.

87pimpsterdocious
09-06-2002, 11:43 AM
it's so fun to sneak stuff out. i went with my dad the first time and he's all "just put it in your pocket" words I would have never thought to hear out of his mouth.

DBMaster
09-06-2002, 12:57 PM
That's why most of the wrecking yards around here now have signs that say "No Tool Boxes." Used to be that little parts didn't mean much to them. Now some of the little parts get pretty expensive.

smufguy
09-06-2002, 07:15 PM
i carry two tool boxes and one of em has no tool in it when it goes in, but u know its rattling when it comes out :flip:

kudd
09-07-2002, 02:48 AM
Hey Praveen,

You in VT? It's like asking for yer fishin' hole, but what junk yard you go to? I'm around the Burlington area.

Thx-

kudd
09-07-2002, 02:51 AM
Ohhhh....duh. Look next to yer post and I see yer in Jersey. No wonder you got sweet pickin's at yer yard.

smufguy
09-07-2002, 07:18 AM
hehehe, u got that right ;)