PDA

View Full Version : door lock needs a different key

newaccorddriver
01-27-2007, 07:13 PM
well, i just looked over the accord for the first time in a long time. i noticed that the door lock on the drivers side is different then every other door on the door. is there any way to re-key it so i just need 1 key rather then replacing everything to get to use the same key?

forrest89sei
01-27-2007, 08:21 PM
well, i just looked over the accord for the first time in a long time. i noticed that the door lock on the drivers side is different then every other door on the door. is there any way to re-key it so i just need 1 key rather then replacing everything to get to use the same key?

Call a Locksmith.

Most will re-key a lock for around $25-$35

newaccorddriver
01-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Call a Locksmith.

Most will re-key a lock for around $25-$35

sweet! i always thought it was only able to be done to house locks. thanks man:rockon:

forrest89sei
01-27-2007, 09:38 PM
sweet! i always thought it was only able to be done to house locks. thanks man:rockon:

Your Welcome.

Almost any lock can be re-keyed.

MessyHonda
01-27-2007, 11:36 PM
yup....they can rekey anything that has a key to it.

Rockcord
01-28-2007, 02:06 AM
i got a quote for re-keying 3 locks on my car, 2 dr and trunk, $75 if I removed the locks myself, and $200 if they did it all, so be aware of that man!!!

njpeter
01-28-2007, 10:37 AM
It's actually pretty easy and no doubt you could do it yourself. Folks are simply afraid of locks and locksmiths don't talk too much..sort of like a secret society. I've been studying locksmithing books and lockpicking for two years now and plan on doing it full time when I retire to keep busy and make a couple of bucks in the process.
I risk death revealing some secrets here, but what the heck, anything to help out my peeps.
here's how it is done...
disclaimer-not for the ham-handed or impatient. I take no responsibility if you get a spring flying into your eye or otherwise damage yourself or your lock.
tools
5 gallon tupperware pan ( what?..right..the springs inside these locks are tiny..and if you lose one..you're screwed)
very very fine metal file, "jeweler style, 1/4 inch wide x 8 inch long is good
a few hours
patience(lots of the first time)
a large magnifying glass.
tweezers
safety glasses
liquid refreshment for celebration or consolation
procedure (this may have to be my first attempt at posting pics later) I have a box with some door locks around here somewhere) I got sick and tired myself of dealing with the different door key and armed with a little know how about how car locks worked and maybe too much confidence, I gave it a go I nailed it first time, so it wasn't all that tough.
so now get ready to learn how to do it yourself...
get the door handle off and then get the lock cylinder out of the door handle..that's nut and bolt stuff. I expect all members here can get that part done without help. But just in case there are two little spring loaded clips that keep the cylinder in the door handle.
---- -------
-->>\\\lock///<<--
front of door handle
now get your "catch pan" out.
insert your key and then and only then remove the c-clip from the back side of the lock cylinder.
withdraw the lock cylinder from the housing (barrel you pulled out of the door handle), at this point unless the lock is broken, nothing should "spill out" you should be holding onto the key.
take a good look at the lock assembly. You'll see six metal "gates" with alternating round holes about 1/16 on each side ( springs go in there)..that's the "top" of the lock..KEEP that side up at all times ( or suffer the consequences).
take a good look at how the lock looks, notice that the gates at the top and bottom are _flush_ with the cylinder, the lock is ready to turn here, if the gates are not flush, the lock is in the lock position, and cannot be turned. Please take a good hard look at this setup.
Carefully withdraw your working key and insert your ignition key, you may want to put some scotch tape ( not the really sticky stiff) on the top of the gates with teh alternating holes if you are fumble prone ( remember that 5 gallon catch pan?)
now you have a couple of options...
A "real" locksmith has a box with every gate made from 1-9, and just either measures your key or looks the keycode up in the secret book ( is that a red dot I see on my chin?:gun: ) of key codes to get the pattern which for key 3124 might be 1-5-3-2-7-4. That's why they get what they get for this job.
It takes the same amount of savy as it does to get a tricky bolt in without dropping it in the oil pan.
Now our junior locksmith apprentice can take one of two approaches, but first the goal...
make the lock look like it did when the correct key was in place
Since you're a junior locksmith, you don't have the book, the gates or spare springs, just this old senpai to help a 5 gallon pan and a file.
You can either:
1-risk a bad afternoon and try to rearrange the gates so they are all flush top and bottom...this typically does not work out, the odds are about 1 in 75 that you'll be able to pull it off.
2-the easy approach, since we know accord door locks are crap and easily broken into is to gently file the gates that protrude with your really fine file, file each gate down to the surface of the cylinder till it's flush, you may only have to do a couple a little or a few quite a ways. I always try method one to keep filing to a minimum ( I have no issues handling the springs if they happen to pop out, and I have the locksmith equiv of a glove box to keep impossible to find parts from flying away)
Nice _light_ strokes check after each stroke. Soon you'll be flush all around (you have to do top and bottom)
Try the lock in the cylinder, if you can spin it all the way around you're looking good and almost home.
now you have to clean the lock really well. I like rubbing alcohol for this, try not to leave bits of brass behind.
try it in the cylinder again, this time put the c-clip on the back of the cylinder and check the key insertion and withdrawal..if the lock is still working..almost done.
Lubricate well with graphite powder ( uhhh..that stuff is worse then fuel pump cover goo, don;t spill any, or get it on your hands.)
re-assemble in the door handle
you're now done.
by the way, this is not how house locks are done, you typically need the box of parts to do those.
having a couple of spare door locks around isn't a bad idea. If you have time to play , you might just find the right combination of gates to avoid a file job.
If you are going to try the gate approach, remove the tiny little springs (put the cylinder in a zip lock bag to do that, the springs are easily damaged, handle minimally and with great care), until you have the correct gates in place, then replace them.
that's all for now, I may be back with picture later

firefox sucks for formatting..sorry boys