PDA

View Full Version : what are you're opinions

hwcoll95
01-28-2007, 09:52 AM
it started with a fast idle @1800 all thee time,after verifing base timing was right,and other minor testing,looks like choke not opening fully with warm engine,helped high idle with adjustment to choke coil,then went to hard start very cold weather,then to intermittent loss of power or hesitation when rainy,so figured ignition,changed plugs,the ones pulled out were way worn (had close to 100k)so replaced plug wires also and gapped new NGK BPR5EY at .040" and ran fine for 30miles,of course temp was warm @40 F and no rain,then back to intermittent ,heres a snap with new plugs/wires,is coil shot from running worn plugs so long???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/hwcoll95/accordcoilshot1.jpg

also gonna just do maintenance items and see where it goes

njpeter
01-28-2007, 01:43 PM
in my opinion, the ignition coil is a weak bit on our cars, you don't want to hear my story, but it's one of the easiest things to try. If you've seen _any_ tach jumping, that's a sure sign. There is a test in the silver book, but for $30-60 it's worth a shot ( 30 for aftermarket, see the how to's and 60 for a new OEM) keep the old one in the spare tire well as "towing insurance"

88Accord-DX
01-28-2007, 06:48 PM
When I use my Snap-on DIS/KV scope on most vehicles, the readings on the plug wires are at least 13KV. So your coil just might not be putting out enough KVs. Looking at that graph, that seems low. Not exactly sure what these coils put out though, sitting at home.

Edit- I say put a new coil on. That is way to low of any kind of output of a coil IMO.

MessyHonda
01-28-2007, 07:30 PM
msd blaster coil FTW...it has like 45,000 volts

Oldblueaccord
01-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah pull that off the coil and see it should be 25kv min in my opinion. Check the cap rotor connections as well maybe there some bad loss there too.

Nice to see someone actually use a scope to check a car. It's how I learned a million years ago. I wish I could find a dude around here/ They just wanna change parts till they get it.

wp