PDA

View Full Version : Cooling and Idling woes

89NinjaAccordLX
09-05-2002, 09:09 AM
First, the story:

About two months ago I was cruising in traffic when my car stalled. I got it home and realized that I had nearly zero antifreeze in my radiator. The little bit of stuff that was in there was very rusted and very thick. Soooooo I flushed the whole system with the exception of the block. Two weeks later the Accord stalls again. I get home and I find out that I'm nearly out of coolant again. So I get some anti-rust compound and put that in after I flush my system REALLY well. So a week later I'm driving in traffic again and it stalls one more time. Turns out a radiator hose busted and I was able to fix it on the side of the road and refill the coolant that leaked out. Now, I check my coolant everyday and it never seems to disappear at an alarming rate, but my car still acts funny now and then like it wants to stall or something. First off my car always used to idle at about 900/1000 rpm. Ever since the 2nd stall, it idles at like 750/800. Sometimes it sounds like my car isnt running and its annoying. And even some other times, the car will have an irregular idle, like it'll dip rhythmically from the already low 750 to like, 650 at a light. Does ANYONE.... ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!? My car looks too good to be this sick! I hear head gasket. I hear rusty hoses. I hear bad radiator. I hear everything.

anchovies
09-05-2002, 09:02 PM
Did you bleed the cooling system when you refilled?
There might be air in your cooling system, hence the idle problem.
And didn't your car show that it's overheating when it ran out of coolent?

smufguy
09-05-2002, 09:21 PM
seems like the headgasket as usual. fill the coolent up and drive for around 5 mts and get out of the car, with the car still running and check ur exhaust smoke. its either a leak on ur radiator like u said or ur head gasket.