PDA

View Full Version : Changing an Alternator

Sts_Angel78
09-05-2002, 12:48 PM
I have a question. I have an 88 accord LX. How difficult is it to change an alternator? I am, obviously, not a mechanic but if it is not too difficult and nothing majorly electrical than I can handle it.

Immeraufdemhund
09-05-2002, 01:07 PM
Well let's see if it was anything like mine. I have an 87 accord lxi. I had to take out my air filter box, disconnect the neg on my bat. Un due like 3 bolts, take off the belt pull the old one out, go to advance, get the new one, put the bolts hand tight except for the belt tension bolt (proper word...probably not). get the belt nice and tight then tighten up the other 2 bolts holding it on to my engine. Put back on my air filter box. Then plug my battery back in.

bigpoppa88
09-05-2002, 02:33 PM
I prefer the down and out method. You'll have to remove the lower axel to get it out. It's actually easier than it sounds. If you you have a fuel injected engine I guess you can take the other route, but looking in my engine bay (carbed engine) I can't believe there is enough room between the engine and the fire wall.

2Fast_Fiero
09-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Ahh hell, my 87 LX-i was a BITCH. I had to pull the driverside wheel, the brakes, the axle and I was supposed to pull the Oil Filter, but I made it around it, But now that I think about it, I might have been able to pull just the air cleaner off and pull it from there, but I think there was something that was preventing me from that. but if you know what your doing, puting everything back together is easy. I had my car torn apart for 5 days cause I had it in someone elses garage and they weren't home, so It sucked for me.

YK86
09-05-2002, 03:49 PM
You DON'T have to pull the axle. On the carbed cars, after taking the air cleaner assembly off, unplugging all the wires and connectors on the alt., loosening the tensioner and pivot bolt, remove the 10mm bolt on the part two coolant hoses connect to on the fire wall right by the torque rod. That thing is for the heater control (you'll see a cable attached to it). You can slip the alternator underneath where that assebly was. It will take a bit of work to get it to fit through but it will fit (I did it this way). Another way to do it is the Carotman way where instead of removing the 10mm bolt, you drain the coolant and just take off the two hoses. Both ways will eliminate the axle pulling.

Immeraufdemhund
09-05-2002, 07:58 PM
MSIAccord_LXi if you have a fuel injected same year as mine you shouldn't have that problem. Unless you being a sedan makes a different in engine compartment room. There are, if i remember correctly, about 3 bolts that hold on your stock air box. if you tore it out though there should be enough room.

smufguy
09-05-2002, 09:24 PM
man.......... this question is asked soo many times. its on the faq.