PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord cutting off

Ronnie Harrison
01-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Look guys I have a problem. I have search the board and I have not quite found what I need. I have an 89 honda accord and after I start it and say run down the road on a cold day for about a mile or so. It shuts off. Like its not getting any gas. I have looked under my dash for the Main Relay but to be honest with you I really dont see it.

Well I did find the Fuel Cut Off Relay. Is this the main relay or is there another on some where. This on is on the fuse panel under the steering wheel. I try cutting the key on and off but I am not hearing the relay. The car starts and runs but its not very depend about. I have also read about the fuel pump. Do you think this needs replaced. In the morning the car start great but once I am on the road it will just cut off. The engine just dies on me. I am not showing any lights on the dash. The car will turn over but won't run. Can the main relay be located somewhere else in the car?

I have and 89 carb 2.0 ltr. 4 door and its a stick. If that helps. Once it stop running the car is a bitch to start back. Any idea guys or ladies.

I just dont want to spend a big load on it an come to find out its something else. The relay I think if I can find its about 75 bucks at Advanced Auto. The fuel pump I am not sure about yet prob going to be about 100 bucks. Like I said I just want to buy what I need to right now.

Please help

2oodoor
01-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Teh main relay(s )and other are under the hood on the passenger side, look for a little black box that the lid comes off of.
You need to provide a few more details about the car,is it acting up any other way or time, or is it just this. Idles good when it is running?
Other things to check right now before buying stuff is coil wire and dist cap condition. some of the things you need to buy if you dont know the history of the car , and would not be considered throwing money away are, fuel filters, the one in the rear of the car and the one on the firewall on drivers side.

Ronnie Harrison
01-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Ok here are the details. The car is one i bought from a guy that let it set for 7 years. I got it for a song. I have since rebuilt the motor and installed new rings, pistons and gaskets, done the valves on it. I have new spark plugs and new distributer cap and rotor. I have not done the wire becasue I think they are ok or at least they look ok. I have new belts and rebuilt the carb on it. I have check and recheck for vacuum leaks and I am fairly certain I dont have any leaks. I have check the fuel filter at the fire wall and its fine but I am not sure where the other on is? I have looked at the back box under the hood and I am not sure that I see the main relay. The running of the car is great when its running so it ides smooth and no misses. I have been driving it for about 2 to 3 weeks and its died only 2 times during that time, but now its like after it warms up it acts like it done have any power and dies. I can usually get it started again but only after cranking and cranking on the motor.

I have been working on this car for about 6 months and I am so close to fixing and driving it. Thanks for your help.

2ndGenGuy
01-31-2007, 02:28 PM
You change the fuel filter at the tank? Maybe something is sloshing around and jamming up in there... Or the fuel pump is crapping out after it runs a while.

Pico
01-31-2007, 03:12 PM
the main relay is located under the dash on the driverside, if you remove the coin box and look in you'll see a metal pipe to the left of that is the main relay mounted on the sidewall with a 10mm bolt ( it's a pain in the ass to get to)
This might help you when you find it Click Me (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7188)
This might help you out too:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/41946907.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/41946908.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/41946911.gif

cygnus x-1
01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
After it dies; once it gets started again how long will it run for? Is it good after that or does it die again? What happens if you start it up in the morning and just let it idle for awhile? Will it die or is it ok until you drive it?

C|

Ronnie Harrison
02-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Hey once I get it going its does not run very good for a while. I am not sure how long. I drive it long enough to get it to the house. I have looked at all your post. And I have to ask. Is the Fuel cut off relay the one I need to replace if thats the problem. What would you all do. The pump or the relay.

I am thinking it could be the back filter I am going to look at it this morning sometime.

MessyHonda
02-01-2007, 08:31 AM
change out both filters..

2oodoor
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Ok I am still blinking too much after you said you bought a 20 year old car that has been sitting for 7 years and THEN had the motor rebuilt to the tune of rings, pistons, and valve work. Not even knowing the condition of the rest of the car, electrical systems,:) transmission etc.. Ok as soon as I stopped blinking I can see the computer again, and now I can say how about the old stale gas in the tank and the varnish it becomes that may have stopped up the fuel pump strainer, and rear filter. Good luck with your investment, once you have it straight you will enjoy it :)

DarkRedAccord
02-02-2007, 12:48 PM
When my '88 LX had the same problem, replacing the fuel pump fixed it. I got an original Honda part for about $100 from Manchester Honda and that was four years ago.