PDA

View Full Version : Power steering hose...?

2drSE-i
01-31-2007, 08:56 PM
so my power steering hose, (i think its the one called the pressure hose) is leaking like crazy, burning ps fluid on my exhaust manifold...went to oreilleys for a replacement hose. they want 108....anyone have any ideas???

MessyHonda
01-31-2007, 10:22 PM
just take out power steering...hehe...or get a used hose from some one or the junkyard.

forrest89sei
01-31-2007, 10:38 PM
call up a tractor shop or something like that.

they can press your stock fittings on to new hose for cheap i bet

88LXi68
02-01-2007, 07:48 AM
I think I have one. Let me check when I get home. If so, 30shipped sound good?

LX-incredible
02-01-2007, 09:47 AM
That hose is a pain to get out, I had to remove some of the smaller P/S hoses to pull it out. Make sure to pull it out through the engine bay, it wont go the other way. I marked all of the hoses it passes between with tape, it makes putting the new one in so much easier.

2drSE-i
02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
call up a tractor shop or something like that.
they can press your stock fittings on to new hose for cheap i bet

ah ya thats what the guy at autozone said...maybe i should check that out.

88LXi68
02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
I looked and I definitely have that hose plus some of the other hard lines. Let me know if you want.

njpeter
02-02-2007, 06:11 PM
be carful doing that hose..I cut the crap outta myhand when I slipped and caught it on the heat shield working under the car ( wunch) nearly severed my bird finder tendon..and the cut was full of greasy dirt..a small miracle at englewood hospital ER saved my hand...thanks to the cute doc that cleaned and sewed it ( now my wife is giving me the hairy eyeball). that ebay accord parts guy had a used one of $30..but I've seen em new for alot less then 108 elsewhere..still a job..but you gotta do it..I nearly burnt my 87 to the ground by ignoring it. I'd go new..the labor is a bitch on that one

MessyHonda
02-03-2007, 01:06 AM
yeah that is a important part...mine was leaking back in the day....my engine cought on fire at the dealership when we were geting the part.....we had to use a extinguisher to put it out......it would of sucked if the car cought on fire somewhere else....maybe the car would not be here.

2drSE-i
02-03-2007, 01:56 AM
maybe i should disconnect power steering until i get it fixed...dont want it catching fire....

njpeter
02-03-2007, 05:25 AM
mine started up about ten muinutes after I parked the car at a lot, luckily the attendent put it out ( with a dry checmical extingusiher) before the fire department arrived. He could have died for the effort as the a/c hose ruptured and al the refrigerant leaked out ( with a whoosh no doubt) here's why they tell you not to smoke when you do a/c work..the amount of burnt r-12 refrigerant needed to toast your lungs is so small, you can inhale enough thru a burning cigarette to send you to the hospital..and if you don't get there quick enough, you literally down in your own body fluids. That was one lucky parking guy..and me too, you know what the fire dperatment does when they have a burning car on hand....

If it's leaking badly, I'd disconnect..a drip can be dealt with with some duct tape and plastic bags for a few days..nasty messy, just keep it off the manifold.

2drSE-i
02-03-2007, 09:48 AM
ya its just a drip...i probly should ghetto rig it...

njpeter
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
yeah stop the smoke, but put it on your _big time todo_ list..or I have dibs on whatever is left after the bar-b-q. ( and it's never much when they burn is it?). Seriously find a hose and a weekend to do it..real soon cause the leak isn't getting any better and honda ps fluid isn't cheap either

just finished installing my new radio/cd changer and hands free cellphone kit..for the first time in a long time I can say I'm slammin with sounds all around. ( a 49 year old guy slammin..now that's something to write home about)

the sony was a straight drop in, but I didn't want to take the rear seats out to snake the cables and all too damm cold right now..so I cheated the cables a bit into the trunk..I'll do it right come spring. radio came with a nice remote control..all I got left is to move the bose's fronts from the gray ghost and I'll be able to deal with my 5am get up and 4 hours a day commuting lots better. I'll get around to the neo player later on, this player does MP3;s so I burned some stuff from the next onto a couple of disks for this week. Pretty good radio, sells for around $120 and has a removable face..maybe I get a sub-woofer next :-) Can't wait till I can play dean martin and annoy the heck out of the 20 year olds next to me at a traffic light "-)

Now tomorrow I can go to the library borrow a new book on cd or two and not have to rip em on the mp3 ( my first car CD player ever). I really like clive cussler novels, takes the sting out of my somewhat ordinary life, sometimes I can be Dirk Pitt, the rapscallion collector of classic cars and purveyor of high adventure. Forget Sahara..he actually went after the studio for butchering the story so much.

anyhow..I'm off to the hot tub to relax..I've earned it today.