PDA

View Full Version : well another dam problem came up!

ahmad89
02-03-2007, 06:43 PM
i was driving home from work after i exited the highway was stopped at light and the oil light was flickering but really bright then i saw smoke coming from my right headlight, the overflow tank was boiling. When i looked under the hood the breather filter had smoke coming out. The temperature gauge went to H and then back to the middle. Also when the oil light would flash i heard like a rattle sound sorta like no oil was in the engine then it went away.

ZackieDarko
02-03-2007, 06:44 PM
did you check your oil?

when was the last time the oil/filter was changed?

russiankid
02-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Sounds like your oil pump is going out. And for the overheating part, you have air in the system and possibly your thermostat is not functioning properly.

ahmad89
02-03-2007, 07:14 PM
i will check the oil tomorrow to let it all sit. I was thinking the oil pump was going out.
I got 4 opinions 2 from autozone both say alternator, 2 from two different sops, one says battery and one says carb is bad. This is about it taking awhile to start up after driven or warmed up.

ZackieDarko
02-03-2007, 07:41 PM
you dont check your oil when its cold

you warm the car up then check it if you let it just sit you aren't geting a real reading from the dip stick

just drain the bitch put a new filter on and put new oil in if it is still all weird check your oil pump

russiankid
02-03-2007, 07:44 PM
you dont check your oil when its cold
you warm the car up then check it if you let it just sit you aren't geting a real reading from the dip stick
just drain the bitch put a new filter on and put new oil in if it is still all weird check your oil pump
Also make sure the car is not completely hot, because then some oil will be in the block, making you think the level is low. Also check the oil on a flat surface, not up/down hill or the car being tilted.

ahmad89
02-03-2007, 08:05 PM
lol i know that russian and i will buy some oil tomorrow and should i put this oil stabalizer i got awhile ago? it says add to 4 quarts of oil. Do i add 3 quarts then add that quart of the stabalizer?

lostforawhile
02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
right,the stabilizer replaces a quart. if you added that to the 4 quarts,the level would be too high and the crank would whip the oil into a milkshake. as far as your oil,check the level,then check your cooling system. if your cooling system is malfunctioning your oil wil get so hot it won't be able to maintain pressure. if it overheated that bad, change your oil anyway, it might have broken down. with the cooling system malfunctioning the oil has to absorb all the heat. have you checked your water pump? or your thermostat?

ahmad89
02-03-2007, 09:23 PM
i need to check those how do i check them? and the thermostat is covered by that thick tube that goes from near the radiator cap to the engine right?

lostforawhile
02-03-2007, 09:28 PM
i need to check those how do i check them? and the thermostat is covered by that thick tube that goes from near the radiator cap to the engine right?
are you talking about the upper radiator hose? you'll need to unbolt the thermostat housing cover. maby the thermostat is stuck. if you search on here theres lots of info

ahmad89
02-03-2007, 09:34 PM
yea the only big hose on the top of the radiator, is the thermostat in there or is just where the coolant and water flow.

lostforawhile
02-03-2007, 09:46 PM
yea the only big hose on the top of the radiator, is the thermostat in there or is just where the coolant and water flow.thats just the hose. the thermostat housing is where the hose connects at the side of the block. there are two bolts that hold it on. the hose connects to the housing. does anyone have a picture handy?

ahmad89
02-03-2007, 10:01 PM
i got it russian kid had a pic, i was just making sure thats the right place thanks alot im going to replace it tomorrow and my oil.

MessyHonda
02-03-2007, 11:29 PM
man problems after problems

ahmad89
02-03-2007, 11:44 PM
exactly and im taking care of the car, today i got some seafoam and dressing belt.

MessyHonda
02-03-2007, 11:45 PM
seafoam helped my dx

ahmad89
02-03-2007, 11:53 PM
i put 1/3 in the carb and the rest in gas tank?

shepherd79
02-04-2007, 06:17 AM
well, here is what i would do if i was in your situation.
1. check the oil make sure it is up and it is not brown color.
2. i would check the coolant for oil and make sure it is up to the level.
3. i would not use belt dressing. it can fix things temp. but it can cause belt to deteriorate faster.

The way i see, your thermostat is not working or the worse case your headgasket blew.

njpeter
02-04-2007, 08:03 AM
mutiple possibilities here.

sounds like a headgasket, which could account for the sudden drop in oil pressure, that smoke was certainly not a good thing, but some good advice here.

I'd check oil for water, water for oil, give the oil a good sniff for burnt smell how often do these oil pumps crap out?, oil pressure failure would sieze the engine in pretty short order i'd think.

perhaps the oil sender didn't like the overheated coolant and gave a no pressure reading( assume it was overheated since the temp gauge pinned), that was the symptoms I had shortly before the head gasket went on my 87 ( boiling overflow tank and wild fluctuations in displayed engine temp), so that's where I'm laying my bet. sorry dude, but I guess a headgasket might be the lesser of the evils considering the consequnces of oil pressure failure.

You could do a cole trickle and run the drained engine oil thru a screen to check for metal flakes. you could cut the oil filter in half to check for it too.

If the engine has lots of miles there should be minimal silver sludge in there.

My oil sender sprung a leak last year and I nearly ran out of oil ( got the flashing "you had a momentary drop in oil pressure you idiot" going around an off ramp ( a 50 mph tight one) so I pulled over and checked my stick..nuthin!, driove nice and slow and paid too much for gas station oil..and then I had to drive home ( 50 miles) in a cloud of smoke, then I put a new sender in, no problems after that ( getting the sender out was tough, luckily I had the right socket and extensions to get at it easily, I had bought a specialty sender socket many years ago..and was able to find it at the bottom of my tool box drawer))

ahmad89
02-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone you're life savers, today im going to get some oil and a thermostat and go from there will let yall know if anything happens.

ahmad89
02-05-2007, 07:41 AM
I changed my oil and filter yesterday before the superbowl, i started it and shifted through the gears and it was fine, i drove it to school today and it was fine except the dam belt keeps squeaking alot more now. When i start going the belt squeaks along with the RPMs the higher i go the louder the squeak im going to spray some of that belt dressing cause its really annoying. I will change my thermostat friday or saturday if im not working. Thx russian kid for helping with about the thermostat.

race12001
02-05-2007, 08:06 AM
no if it was the headgasket it would be skipping like a mother pressure check your radiator if it holds then check your thermostat cause you may have a slow leak in the radiator or your etc could be going out and not letting you cooling fans coming on therefor causing it to over heat for a moment be fore the fans come on

shepherd79
02-05-2007, 08:23 AM
I changed my oil and filter yesterday before the superbowl, i started it and shifted through the gears and it was fine, i drove it to school today and it was fine except the dam belt keeps squeaking alot more now. When i start going the belt squeaks along with the RPMs the higher i go the louder the squeak im going to spray some of that belt dressing cause its really annoying. I will change my thermostat friday or saturday if im not working. Thx russian kid for helping with about the thermostat.
if the belt squicks at any RPM, you can try adjusting it or replace it with a new one.

POS carb
02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
ahmad I am going to shoot you
:Owned:
the oil light will come on if the oil is VERY low or if the idle speed is too low
the car will overheat on the highway if you have low water or if your thermostat is broken (very cheap, change it!!!)
the car will overheat when stopped for a long time if the fans do not work
the coolant will boil if the engine is overheating
the oil will smoke if the engine is overheating dangerously (VERY HOT)
Did you ever fix the head gasket?

ahmad89
02-06-2007, 06:53 PM
The oil light issue isnt a problem anymore i changed my oil and filter and its been working fine ever since. I am going to change all 3 belts soon and can i do this myself or is it better to take it to a shop?

russiankid
02-06-2007, 07:18 PM
You can change the belts yourself. Very simple.

MessyHonda
02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
ahmad I am going to shoot you
the oil light will come on if the oil is VERY low or if the idle speed is too low
the car will overheat on the highway if you have low water or if your thermostat is broken (very cheap, change it!!!)
the car will overheat when stopped for a long time if the fans do not work
the coolant will boil if the engine is overheating
the oil will smoke if the engine is overheating dangerously (VERY HOT)
Did you ever fix the head gasket?

lol

sounds like the car from hell

ahmad89
02-07-2007, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=POS carb]ahmad I am going to shoot you
QUOTE]
Im gonna shoot you myself lol.
:gun: :gun: POS carb :violin:

2oodoor
02-07-2007, 08:21 AM
You can change the belts yourself. Very simple.
:Indeed, one of the easiest cars around to change belts., even to tighten the alt belt you just loosen up the alternator pivot bolt and then the bolt on the turn buckle thing then turn the bolt in some on the turn buck, till the belt is a lil tighter, then tighten up the two bolts you loosened.

drive to the end of the earth, and push it over, call a cab, go to the local salvation army or goodwill and buy another car with fuel injection, no chrysler products or daewoo's

ahmad89
02-07-2007, 10:48 AM
:Indeed, one of the easiest cars around to change belts., even to tighten the alt belt you just loosen up the alternator pivot bolt and then the bolt on the turn buckle thing then turn the bolt in some on the turn buck, till the belt is a lil tighter, then tighten up the two bolts you loosened.
drive to the end of the earth, and push it over, call a cab, go to the local salvation army or goodwill and buy another car with fuel injection, no chrysler products or daewoo's
rofl dam you roodoo

POS carb
02-07-2007, 12:40 PM
timing belt - take it to a shop
Water pump/Alternator belt - easy!
A/C belt - easier!
power steering belt - easiest!!!!
^
this is a list of the belts working from the inside out
if you want to change the p/s belt there is nothing in the way.
if you want to change the a/c belt you need to take off the power steering belt first.
if you want to change the water pump/alternator belt the a/c and p/s need to come off first.

ahmad89
02-07-2007, 06:50 PM
thx POS carb but i got much bigger issues now look for my other thread in technical.

POS carb
02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
:gun: :gun: POS carb :violin:

Ouch! I've never been killed before, this sucks :rant:

ahmad89
02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
lol why are you still posting!! dammit die!!!!
:gun: :gun: POS Carb
:gun: :gun:
:devil:
:wtf:
:rly:
:devil: :rocket:
:rice:
ahhaaha

MessyHonda
02-08-2007, 01:36 PM
he has unlimited lifes......he joined in 2000....

lostforawhile
02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
not on mine,added stuff in the way. have to tighten alternator belt from underneath on ramps.

mailman37645
02-08-2007, 04:49 PM
I would just take it to the local Honda dealer and have them check it out and have them fix what's wrong. If that's not an option, then make good friends with a motorhead or buy a manual. Working on cars is alot easier than you might think. Good luck