PDA

View Full Version : Rear disk swap

russiankid
02-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I read that i need to upgrade my master cylinder to do a rear disk brake swap because i have a LX. Is this true? Also i read that i need to upgrade to LX-i front calipers...

forrest89sei
02-03-2007, 10:06 PM
All 1986-89 Accords, SE-i's included use the same master cylinder.

the only difference is the Proportioning Valve Between the '89 SE-i and all other 3rd Gen Accords

MessyHonda
02-03-2007, 11:30 PM
the only difference is the Proportioning Valve Between the '89 SE-i and all other 3rd Gen Accords

the fuel injected cars have a bigger one

shepherd79
02-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Since you have carb, you have to replace the master cylinder, proportion valve, front hubs with calipers, rear hubs, E-brake cable and probably a few brake lines.

you should do your research before you say something.
86-87 models had the same master cylinder on DX, LX, LXI models. they had the same proportion valve aslo. Basiclly they had the same brake setup on DX, LX and LXI.
in 88-89 honda chnaged a lot of things.
base models DX and LX got a new master cylinder but they kept the proportion valve the same.
LXI models got a few things upgraded. the front hubs got bigger thus making rotors and calipers bigger. They got new master cylinder and new proportion valve.
IN 1989 SEi models got updated brake setup. Same front hubs as on 88-89 LXI models. New master cylinder and new proportion valve.

that is a basic brake upgrade for 3G accord.
i hope it helped.

russiankid
02-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Well this sucks. I was hoping not to do all of that. What will happen if i do dont do all that and just put them on? Will it still work? I really do not have the money or resources to find a proportioning valve or the master cylinder.

MessyHonda
02-04-2007, 09:58 AM
it should still work tho....just change the prop valve so the braking is balaced even if you have the smaller front rotors.

IMO....just slap them on if you just want disk...but if you want to upgrade the stoping power you will need to convert the whole thing to the bigger set up.

shepherd79
02-04-2007, 11:26 AM
it will work, but you may have to push a little harder to stop faster.
the reason master cylinder is bigger is so you don't have to work as hard.
just do what your brother did. save money and buy parts slowly. when you have everything to do a full swap he can help ya.

don't be like someother people and do half ass job. do it right or don't do it at all.

forrest89sei
02-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Since you have carb, you have to replace the master cylinder, proportion valve, front hubs with calipers, rear hubs, E-brake cable and probably a few brake lines.
you should do your research before you say something.
86-87 models had the same master cylinder on DX, LX, LXI models. they had the same proportion valve aslo. Basiclly they had the same brake setup on DX, LX and LXI.
in 88-89 honda chnaged a lot of things.
base models DX and LX got a new master cylinder but they kept the proportion valve the same.
LXI models got a few things upgraded. the front hubs got bigger thus making rotors and calipers bigger. They got new master cylinder and new proportion valve.
IN 1989 SEi models got updated brake setup. Same front hubs as on 88-89 LXI models. New master cylinder and new proportion valve.
that is a basic brake upgrade for 3G accord.
i hope it helped.

I'm sorry, when i looked at rockauto they had the same part numbers on the master Cylinder for all 1986-89 Accords, Sorry for the error

russiankid
02-04-2007, 02:01 PM
it will work, but you may have to push a little harder to stop faster.
the reason master cylinder is bigger is so you don't have to work as hard.
just do what your brother did. save money and buy parts slowly. when you have everything to do a full swap he can help ya.
don't be like someother people and do half ass job. do it right or don't do it at all.
I'm saving. I just want to make sure before i order anything.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm saving. I just want to make sure before i order anything.

Also make sure to ask me what I already acquired because I have an SEi prop. valve...in fact its been in sitting in your trunk the entire time. :)

carotman
02-04-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that all Accords have a 15/16 Master cyl. The only difference is the reserve thank.

Just look on the side of the master cyl and you'll be set.

russiankid
02-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Also make sure to ask me what I already acquired because I have an SEi prop. valve...in fact its been in sitting in your trunk the entire time. :)
So thats what it is? I was wondering on why i have an extra one.

MessyHonda
02-04-2007, 08:43 PM
So thats what it is? I was wondering on why i have an extra one.

lol 40/40 valve FTW