PDA

View Full Version : no power steering?

2drSE-i
02-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Would those of you who are currently running without power steering recommend it? Im planning to run my car in autox, so could someone let me know how awful it is to drive a 3g without PS?

MessyHonda
02-04-2007, 10:08 AM
why do you want to take if off? if you disconnect the speed sensor...power sterring would be like butter at high speeds...it was kinda fun...try it one day

2drSE-i
02-04-2007, 12:36 PM
i wanna take it off cuz its a pain in the ass and it would free up a shit ton of space in the engine bay.

shepherd79
02-04-2007, 12:52 PM
don't do it, unless you are planning on swapping for a manual steering rack. you can get them in canada.
if you just going to cut the belt and remove all the PS stuff, it would be very hard for autocross.

Cheeseburger
02-04-2007, 12:55 PM
i would think so too. unless u have big strong mussels. and i dont think you do...lol

Legend_master
02-04-2007, 01:32 PM
My experience without PS has been pretty mild. These are not very heavy cars, so there is not to much resistance. The only time you will have trouble (at first), is when you are at a dead stop and you need to turn the wheel. I can drive my car like it has PS now that I have been doing so for a few years now.

race12001
02-04-2007, 03:20 PM
dude my ps went out and that shit sucked its like turning a mud truck in cement hard as shit if you want a good wourk out i say go for it but if you want it for auto cross no disconect the speed sensor it will turn on a dime but my car is also lowered and camber issues with that so tak it as you see fit

bobafett
02-04-2007, 05:46 PM
i have found that at about 20mph its not bad at all. but parking lots are not so fun. :)

88LXi68
02-04-2007, 07:41 PM
i have found that at about 20mph its not bad at all. but parking lots are not so fun. :)

Once you are moving it is really nice, but like it was said earlier at a dead stop or in a parking lot it is not fun.

I went and got a manual rack with crossmember to swap into my car.

Legend_master
02-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I went and got manual rack with crossmember to swap into my car.

Did you order it from canada?

88LXi68
02-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Did you order it from canada?

I actually have 2 and I drove up there to pick them up. The first one I called a couple junkyards up there and found one and the 2nd one that has the cross member was found by carotman.

MessyHonda
02-04-2007, 08:25 PM
so the manual rack makes it a lil bit better?

Legend_master
02-04-2007, 08:29 PM
so the manual rack makes it a lil bit better?

It is designed for a car without power steering and from what I hear has a little better turning radius.

I actually have 2 and I drove up there to pick them up. The first one I called a couple junkyards up there and found one and the 2nd one that has the cross member was found by carotman.

So you have an extra without the cross member? How much different is the PS rack cross member from the manual rack cross member? You ever thinking of letting the extra one go :deal: ?

2drSE-i
02-04-2007, 08:58 PM
for autocross what should i do, keep ps or remove it? either way im getting it fixed for now, i would just like to know.

2drSE-i
02-04-2007, 09:01 PM
oh and i know its a bitch driving on a ps rack with no ps....mine went out once....sucked balls.

MessyHonda
02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
its not bad as long as you are rolling

LiTtLe xOx BitT
02-04-2007, 10:53 PM
dude my ps went out and that shit sucked its like turning a mud truck in cement hard as shit if you want a good wourk out i say go for it but if you want it for auto cross no disconect the speed sensor it will turn on a dime but my car is also lowered and camber issues with that so tak it as you see fit
The reason yours was so hard to turn was because you still had you fluid line, fluid res, and pump hooked up so it had to push the fluid back through the system every time you turned. If you disconnect everything and loop the lines it wont be too bad, i have driven a few cars that are similar to ours without PS and I was suprised because i thought it would be worse. My buddy has a 1991 civic with the PS removed and its really easy.

88LXi68
02-05-2007, 05:42 AM
So you have an extra without the cross member? How much different is the PS rack cross member from the manual rack cross member? You ever thinking of letting the extra one go :deal: ?

I havent actually put the rack on yet. I need to send the crossmember out and get it blasted and powdercoated as it is a bit rough. When I get it back I will post pics of the difference in the two.

The manual rack is tiny compared to the PS rack. The other rack is for Rob. If you want I can source another one when I go back to Montreal. It would be a lot cheaper to ship from the US than Canada.

Legend_master
02-05-2007, 05:50 AM
I havent actually put the rack on yet. I need to send the crossmember out and get it blasted and powdercoated as it is a bit rough. When I get it back I will post pics of the difference in the two.
The manual rack is tiny compared to the PS rack. The other rack is for Rob. If you want I can source another one when I go back to Montreal. It would be a lot cheaper to ship from the US than Canada.

About how much do the rack and cross member run? Could I use my factory cross member with some modifications? PM me the next time you are heading up to montreal.

bushbean
02-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm interested in getting a manual rack and cross member, also. Unfortunately, I'm in Texas. If anyone is willing to help me get one, please let me know.

P.s. Maybe Mexico has manual racks???

bigman652
02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Currently my control arm boot is riped so i am rollin without power steering and i am doing autocross in march it is a frickin pain tryin to drive around without power steering

POS carb
02-06-2007, 12:48 PM
you can remove it but I think you'll get 0.5 HP :lol:
steering is ok unless you are 100% stopped. once you are rolling at about 3mph you'll be ok. Fat tires make it worse.
You can also take the speed sensor out of the trans like messy said and you will have 100% assist at all speeds (and no speedo) but in my opinion the steering is perfect as is. Hooking the two hoses together instead should have the same effect and you'll still have a speedo/odometer reading
You wanna clear up some space? move your battery to the trunk (or get a Civic battery)