PDA

View Full Version : how do i tell if i got a shitty ball joint?

A18A
02-06-2007, 08:40 PM
when i got the car, i forgot to ask which ball joint needs replacing so i'll just ask, how do i tell if i got a crappy ball joint?

does anything here look bad?
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/bllllllllah.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/jjjjjjjjjj.jpg
i didnt notice any play or anything if im supposed to either

i havnt seen the left side yet though

PS: i dont know exactly what im doing

88Accord-DX
02-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Standard front end check,
1: jack up one side of the car until one tire is off the ground. The other side tire must be on the ground still. I use the jacking point under the doors.
2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness in the joints. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.
3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints and upper links. There should be no play in the wheel bearings.
4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop ,looseness while prying. The upper link ball joint and bushings near the body are what your looking at.
This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars.

forrest89sei
02-06-2007, 09:02 PM
on mine when my upper rears where gone, when your push down on the car they would creek.

but what ddude2uc said for the front is right on.

MessyHonda
02-06-2007, 10:07 PM
i already got a spot for next week...im going to replace lower and upper ball joints.

A18A
02-06-2007, 10:24 PM
on mine when my upper rears where gone, when your push down on the car they would creek.
cool thanks :) i notice alot of that creeking noise when the car first moves

also thanks ddude, if that was in the faq, silly me :slap: i searched and never found that :( lol

race12001
02-07-2007, 07:14 AM
jack the car up and the wiggle the the top of the wheel if it moves the ball joint is bad

shepherd79
02-07-2007, 07:36 AM

not really, it could be the rubber bushing. I know that is why my car squeaks like that.

DDRaptor
02-07-2007, 08:13 AM
i have to do that front end check my steering wheel used to wobble at 50-60mph now it dosent shake but it makes this horrid sound when turning left sounds like grinding. i called my dad and he told it was the tie rod end(s). if it wasnt so @?@$@?@ cold i would check it.

btw im posting from my phone i love windows mobile. :)

MessyHonda
02-07-2007, 09:52 AM
yeah time to replace balljoints

njpeter
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
that out of control feeling accompanied by your fenders being bent out of shape are a sure sign you've waited too long. Squeaks when turning the wheel mean bad news soon, plenty of talk on ball joints.

race12001
02-08-2007, 06:45 AM
if theres any queston whether you need one then you probly do