PDA

View Full Version : Suitable Amp Wire Size?

HondaBoy
02-07-2007, 02:33 PM
i just got another amp that i was given because it supposedly didnt work at all. actually got 2, one is fried which i can probably fix if i take the time. the other is old, but still good because it has the crossover controls which are perfect for my mids. currently, i have 1 crossover, 1 100 watt amp, and a 500 watt amp. the amp i want to put in is rated at 170 watts. i know none of these amps get to their power rating very often, but still i need to rewire for them. i want to run one power wire from the battery back to the trunk and have a distribution block. i dont really need fancy wiring that is brand name. in my experiences, it really doesnt make much difference and i dont want to spend ~$100 on wire. anyways, what is a good size to go with if i'm going to be running 4 amps? i think it has 8 gauge now, which is barely enough for what i have. i'm thinking 4 gauge?

ghettogeddy
02-07-2007, 02:48 PM
4awg should be plenty check your local walmart for the 1000 watt 4ch scoush (sp) kit there like 25 to 35 dollars and should have everything u need ive been running mine for like 5 years now and i use them in all me friends cars to

HondaBoy
02-07-2007, 02:57 PM
cool, i'll check that out. thats about how much i'd want to spend. any recommendation on a good place to put the ground wires? i'd like to have one central ground for everything also. i could weld a bolt to have something to screw onto. also i'd like to make something to mount all the amps on and have a small fan or fans to cool them. so i guess i could make some kind of rack. wood would be easy to work with for that and i could cover it in carpet. now i kind of want to get the plastic for my trunk. it was messed up in a wreck but i've never bothered to get another trunk set.

MessyHonda
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
i try to use thick metal for ground...but right now i just drilled a hole on the trunk floor..i made sure i was not going to hit a wire or the fuel tank....and i sanded the paint off and i screwed my ground on. anyways 4guage is good...i had 8 guage with a 900 watt amp...and now i have 5 guage on a 300 watt amp...lol but yeah 4 guage is good.

ghettogeddy
02-07-2007, 06:24 PM
also i'd like to make something to mount all the amps on and have a small fan or fans to cool them. so i guess i could make some kind of rack. have u seen my old set up

MessyHonda
02-07-2007, 06:33 PM
well i would want my trunk usable....so i would bolt them to the rear of the back seat...cuz on geddys old set up....looks like water could get in when you open the trunk

ghettogeddy
02-07-2007, 06:42 PM
well i would want my trunk usable....so i would bolt them to the rear of the back seat...cuz on geddys old set up....looks like water could get in when you open the trunk
ya but thats not part of the amp rack lol
that was just a flip flop trunk lol ive also had mine mounted on the back seat i liked that set up alot its a little harder for people to steal your shit

Vanilla Sky
02-07-2007, 08:20 PM
i'd buy 2 guage welding cable. tractor supply has it in bulk, and it's really really flexible. not bad for running power wire. back in the 80's, it's what all of the SPL competitors used before brand-named power wire was really out there.

HondaBoy
02-09-2007, 10:57 AM
well i did want to go old school. haha. but anyway, i looked at walmart. the wire at the one i went to was kinda crappy and i know i've seen better stuff there. i'll have to go to this one by my house i guess. i was going to go look at the wire at home depot or lowes also to see what they have.

shepherd79
02-09-2007, 11:55 AM
i have to agree with vanilla. if you are going to run 4 amps go with 2 gauge wire. it may cost a little more but it will be better.

Vanilla Sky
02-09-2007, 12:18 PM
if you go to home depot or lowes, don't look at their housing wire. that stuff isn't meant for cars. it can be really hard to work with, especially when you get up into 2 guage and 0 guage.

check by their welders. that's where they would have welding wire. i thikn it can only be purchased in packages at home stores, though. at a place like tractor supply, you can purchase it by the foot.

HondaBoy
02-09-2007, 07:22 PM
so is the welding wire more stranded than industrial or house wireing? i'm guessing thats why y'all are recommending it.