PDA

View Full Version : A20A3 Rev Limiter?

A20A3quippedbeast
02-08-2007, 06:05 AM
Hey guys, i was wondering what kind of rev limiting device these third gen Hondas have. It's just curiosity, I'm not gonna be a ricer and try and bounce it in attempts to look cool/get attention.

What rpm does it kick?
Is it fuel cut or ignition cut?
If it's a fuel cut, will it cause a lean backfire if you hit it?

Thanks,

Moncef

shepherd79
02-08-2007, 06:43 AM
it is fuel cut at red line. i don't think it will cause backfire since there would be no fuel coming in.

MessyHonda
02-08-2007, 10:39 AM
if i remember correctly its like 6850RMP when it kicks in...look it up in the manual

snoopyloopy
02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
yeah, something like that. and it's a fuel cut. and i usually don't hear a backfire, but my intake is also louder than my exhaust at that point. so i might be getting one and just am unaware. but i only get a backfire when i then let off the throttle.

MessyHonda
02-08-2007, 01:18 PM
yeah, something like that. and it's a fuel cut. and i usually don't hear a backfire, but my intake is also louder than my exhaust at that point. so i might be getting one and just am unaware. but i only get a backfire when i then let off the throttle.

lol ghetto...

ZackieDarko
02-08-2007, 04:05 PM
if i remember correctly its like 6850RMP when it kicks in...look it up in the manual

yup

Cheeseburger
02-08-2007, 04:16 PM
yep messy is right

lostforawhile
02-08-2007, 04:53 PM
also does anybody know if the safety relay in the carb cars also acts as a fuel cutout? I wonder because after driving for a few years with a digital fuel pressure gauge,I've noticed that the fuel pressure always goes to zero at higher rpms,and doesn't come back up until the rpms drop. thats with a new or an old pump. I know it senses rpm off the coil,thats how it works,but i wonder if theres a voltage curve drop as rpms go up. I need to hook a volt meter to the pump input wire and watch it at high rpms.

MessyHonda
02-08-2007, 10:20 PM
yeah...Tim but you have an carbed car...he is asking for the fuel injected...

teck
02-08-2007, 10:31 PM
hmmm dont know bout EFI but i have never hit a limiter in my carbed

MessyHonda
02-08-2007, 11:03 PM
hmmm dont know bout EFI but i have never hit a limiter in my carbed

yeah...one day you will have a rod sticking out on the side of the block

shepherd79
02-09-2007, 06:48 AM
also does anybody know if the safety relay in the carb cars also acts as a fuel cutout? I wonder because after driving for a few years with a digital fuel pressure gauge,I've noticed that the fuel pressure always goes to zero at higher rpms,and doesn't come back up until the rpms drop. thats with a new or an old pump. I know it senses rpm off the coil,thats how it works,but i wonder if theres a voltage curve drop as rpms go up. I need to hook a volt meter to the pump input wire and watch it at high rpms.

yes the fuel cut off relay on carb accord work the same way. you can probably bypass that very easy.

ChaseR
02-09-2007, 07:08 AM
no reason to bypass the limiter, you arent making any power at those engine speeds..

shepherd79
02-09-2007, 07:42 AM
no reason to bypass the limiter, you arent making any power at those engine speeds..
yeah if the engine is stock. but modified engines with wild cams and other shit cam make power at 7000 and higher.

A20A3quippedbeast
02-09-2007, 05:09 PM
yeah with N/A mods the powerband keeps getting shifted up and up so like cams and supporting mods can let your spin to 8k+

speedpenguin
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Well if you want to spin that fast you better reinforce some of them parts. This engine isn't built to handle 8000rpm after already having like 150000 miles on it.

A20A3quippedbeast
02-09-2007, 08:26 PM
well yes that is true which is why i said supporting mods ;)

MessyHonda
02-10-2007, 04:43 AM
well yes that is true which is why i said supporting mods ;)

it will just help you blow up the engine faster

lostforawhile
02-10-2007, 07:22 AM
well in the case of the carbed one it cuts out before redline which can contribute to a lean mixture,it's a tricky situation because that module is important for safety as far as shutting off fuel flow in an emergency. I think an rpm activated module from msd or something like it would do the same thing. as long as it turns off with no signal from the dis. it should be safe as well.

shepherd79
02-10-2007, 07:44 AM
all you have to do is by pass that fuel cut off relay.
add cran cams or msd (not my favorite for their rev limit design design overall) and set rev limit to what ever you want.
it will cut the ignition but not the fuel.

A20A3quippedbeast
02-10-2007, 07:54 AM
yep. 'soft touch' i think its what it's called, my friend drives an LS1 with an MSD 2step.

lostforawhile
02-10-2007, 10:37 AM
all you have to do is by pass that fuel cut off relay.
add cran cams or msd (not my favorite for their rev limit design design overall) and set rev limit to what ever you want.
it will cut the ignition but not the fuel.
well the point of the fuel pump cutoff relay is also safety,if the engine quits because of an accident or something it turns off the fuel pump. this can save your life. in the old days cars had mechanical pumps so in a wreck or something if the engine died the fuel flow would stop. with an electrical pump if you got in an accident and a fuel line broke or you had a fuel leak,that pump would keep dumping fuel out everywhere without the cutoff.