PDA

View Full Version : rear bumper rot and rust

buster133
09-05-2002, 06:43 PM
I was pushing in on the center section of the outside plastic bumper cover ever so slightly on my 89 lxi coupe and I heard a funny sound and a bunch of little rusty potato chip like flakes fell onto the ground, followed by a really big piece of rusty metal, about 2 by 6 inches. I found a flashlight and looked up underneath the back bumper and discovered that the metal bumper beam that goes all the way accross, is starting to rot out at its center seam and I have already lost a big chunk of it, where I can now see inside the hollow beam. Is this common, have you guys noticed this on your cars or am I the only one.I live in the north east so the underneath gets it's share or snow and road salt. Should I be worrying about this, I mean the bumper is a pretty important piece of the car and I don't want the beam to collapse and the bumper to fall off if it gets bumped into good enough. Also, if I choose to fix this should I buy a brand new beam either aftermarket or from Honda, or should I find one from the junkyard that's not rusted up too badly. Another thing, would the bumper beams from sedans and coupes be interchangeable, I don't see why not but you never know. Sorry for the long story and thanks in advance.

flamed89
09-06-2002, 07:23 PM
you should be able to get one aftermarket nobodys ever gonna see the damn thing so who cares!and if you need to know how to get the bumper off just let me know it's real easy.

89lxi95zx7
09-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Since we are talking about rust, I have an 89 2door lxi, car is perfect except rear wheel wells rotting out. Where the hell do I get decent patch panels without draining my account.:banghead:

YK86
09-16-2002, 08:43 AM
If it's really bad, then you probably need new rear quarters which you can buy from Honda for about $250 a side. It goes from the door jam all the way to the back.

T-Funk
09-16-2002, 09:26 AM
is that 250 canadian? cause i need new rear quarters due to rust after this winter, might as well use them for all they're worth :)

89lxi95zx7
09-16-2002, 12:04 PM
I did find the small patch panels through a company called mill supply co. in cleveland, oh. the rust isn't bad yet, but the guy i talked to from that co. said they were a real thin panel and they would probably rust out again very fast, but they were only $30 a piece, i guess it's a gamble. if any one hears anything fill me in, thanks

YK86
09-16-2002, 01:50 PM
Pimp86lx also gave me a number of a guy in Ontario who sells the rear fender pieces (just the rear arches) for $65 CAD a side. The Honda ones are the whole rear quarters for $250US a side(about $400 CAD).

T-Funk
09-16-2002, 05:13 PM
rear arches for 65 bucks eh, need that too :)