PDA

View Full Version : Is P/S Pump Killing A/C Compressor?

bushbean
02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
The A/C started to blow not as cold just when the P/S Pump started to leak its fluid got all over the A/C compressor. Coincidence? or is the P/S Pump leak killing the A/C compressor by soaking it with P/S fluid?

shepherd79
02-09-2007, 11:47 AM
i don't think so.
it is probably huge coincidence.
AC is a sealed unit. you are probably just getting low on freon.

LX-incredible
02-10-2007, 09:06 AM
When my power steering pump went the AC clutch became soaked with oil and started slipping. Fix it and degrease the clutch. I left mine for a long time and the rubber in the clutch deteriorated. If you leave this your clutch will eventually need to be replaced or at least be shimmed.

Blkblurr
02-12-2007, 07:45 AM
When my power steering pump went the AC clutch became soaked with oil and started slipping. Fix it and degrease the clutch. I left mine for a long time and the rubber in the clutch deteriorated. If you leave this your clutch will eventually need to be replaced or at least be shimmed.
I agree. The clutch will not last long if it's covered with oil.

bushbean
02-13-2007, 12:10 PM
To clarify:
The PS pump has probably been leaky for a long time, probably long before the A/C's degrade in performance. I didn't bother to check anything until my A/c's performace started to degrade, and that's when I saw the A/C compressor covered with PS fluid.

I don't think putting the PS pump right above the AC was a very smart move by Honda.