PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to find a turbo manifold

1990DSM
02-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I've been building an '89 EXI for the last year. It's been bodied, primed, slammed, rims, prelude interior swap, lights, 5 spd. swap, manual steering rack conversion, stereo done, alarm/starter, and I've got a mitsubishi 13g turbo along with a front mount IC out of a Volvo 740 (scrap yard cheap!!!).
I'm running low 16's without the turbo. I figure 5psi of boost and I'll dip into the high 14 low 15 range with a few adjustments.
My question is, "Does anyone know of a company that specifically makes a turbo manifold that will fit the A20A3 engine in my car"?
I've been welding one together but am not happy with the fitment and am also worried about fatigue because I used low carbon steel for the flange and cheap stainless for the header pipes.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

newaccorddriver
02-09-2007, 05:29 PM
nobody makes manifolds for our cars. welcome to the club, i too am worried about my manifold that i have, although the guy claims its in perfectly working order. i figured that since our engines are dirt cheap(for any running one atleast), you might be better off running that manifold until it blows, assuming it does

bobafett
02-09-2007, 05:29 PM
can't be of too much help specifically, but you can get nice quality flanges from sam at www.bmcrace.com

his son runs www.jg-fab.com, and im sure he would be willing to build a manifold, but dont know how fitment would work since he would need a car to mock it up on.

also, justin86 from this forum can make turbo manifolds, he has made a couple in the past. might be worth it to pm him and let him know what you are up to. his prices are usually very very reasonable, and im sure he will be cheaper than the jgfab guys.

good luck!

ZackieDarko
02-09-2007, 06:36 PM
nobody makes manifolds for our cars.

not true

http://www.evolution-racing.com/store/exmanifold.htm

i know it has been posted in other threads but there ONE out there but its fucking expensive

87preludeA20A3
02-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Try calling Mosselman and talk them into reproducing the one they made... The one i'm talking about is the third one in the pic in this link...http://3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37169 I called them and they said they don't remember making a mani for our cars, they only made performance parts for euro cars. But the lude and for sure the accord were sold over there. I never really went into great detail with them about it i sorta gave up but i never sent them pics or faxes or anything. May try that if you want a true mani. It would probably be easier to just custom one...

LiTtLe xOx BitT
02-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Heres the link to the one justin made me. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50829

Hash_man_Se_i
02-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey.... another calgary member... SWEEET!... first of all welcome to the forum.

Secondly... there are a few people in town that could make a manifold for you. Shoot me a pm, or if you have msn, feel free to add me: the_hash_man@hotmail
and I can help point you in the right direction.

reanimator420
02-10-2007, 04:06 PM
wow i did not know they made a series ramhorns!!!

Hash_man_Se_i
02-10-2007, 07:01 PM
^^ Ya they have been around for a while, but are pretty damn expensive, and most people on here are cheap... No offense, but its true.

reanimator420
02-10-2007, 07:06 PM
yeah. but if i was going turbo, that would be my first investment

teck
02-10-2007, 07:40 PM
damn you turbo people!!!! i wish i had enough money to turbo my car

MessyHonda
02-10-2007, 11:54 PM
^^ Ya they have been around for a while, but are pretty damn expensive, and most people on here are cheap... No offense, but its true.

lol this proves it....lol

damn you turbo people!!!! i wish i had enough money to turbo my car

RobT5580
02-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Try calling Mosselman and talk them into reproducing the one they made... The one i'm talking about is the third one in the pic in this link...http://3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37169 I called them and they said they don't remember making a mani for our cars, they only made performance parts for euro cars. But the lude and for sure the accord were sold over there. I never really went into great detail with them about it i sorta gave up but i never sent them pics or faxes or anything. May try that if you want a true mani. It would probably be easier to just custom one...

I called them a few years back as well and they would not reproduce that manifold because they are not in that market any longer from what i was told. If i recall they do high end automobile stuff and i even asked if they had the mold for it and they said they didnt.

AccordEpicenter
02-11-2007, 11:49 AM
its not that great of a manifold anyway

1990DSM
02-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll definetely try calling the guy in Calgary and talking to him, and I'll call Mosselman about that manifold (I know the picture you're talking about and I tried their website, but might get further on the phone).

P.S.---- I've purchased all of my turbos (2-14b's, 13g, 12b(Volvo) )from scrap yards dirt cheap. You just have to make sure there is little to no shaft play, and pretty much PRAY the oil seals are still OK.
One of the DSM's I've owned had a junkyard 14b that I ported and clipped and it was able to run 22psi of boost right up until the head bolts stretched, WHICH WAS A BAD THING.

Hash_man_Se_i
02-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Ya you can find decent turbos at the wreckers... but its kinda hit or miss.

Here in Calgary, I would say go on beyond.ca and look for the member legendboy
he has a thread all about making manifolds and such and how much he charges. Makes some nice stuff too, and log manifold shouldn't cost too much either.

thegreatdane
02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
As long as it's solid quality then 750$ is not expencive for a turbo manifold. If you want cheap manifolds then get ssautochrome to make you guys a manifold... lol why is everyone always bitching about this

weiRtech
03-15-2007, 05:51 PM
i might be able to help you. if someone local dropped by my shop i could mock one up and then make a jig for it so everyone could have one. i already have the pattern for the head flange. here are a few pics of a setup i just completed for a b-series:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/weirtech/DSC07107.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/weirtech/DSC07105.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/weirtech/DSC07106.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/weirtech/DSC07114.jpg

feel free to call me, i'm in burlington, ontario.
905-802-4703
aaron

AccordEpicenter
03-16-2007, 11:04 AM
looks nice aaron, are you making a series flanges by any chance? I was gonna order some from bmc but they take way too fucking long

weiRtech
03-17-2007, 05:16 AM
looks nice aaron, are you making a series flanges by any chance? I was gonna order some from bmc but they take way too fucking long

i would have them cut locally at a waterjet place. turn-around is usually a couple days. it probably wouldn't be cheap though... i'm guessing probably $50-60 CDN each. how many did you want? feel free to give me a shout 905-802-4703

aaron

bullard123
03-17-2007, 06:10 AM
That manifold looks awesome!

cubert
03-17-2007, 07:04 AM
As long as it's solid quality then 750$ is not expencive for a turbo manifold. If you want cheap manifolds then get ssautochrome to make you guys a manifold... lol why is everyone always bitching about this

id rather have a tissue paper manifold than an SS.

weiRtech
03-17-2007, 11:13 AM
like i mentioned earlier, if someone local wanted one i'd make up a few all at the same time. as a pricing example, that manifold and downpipe pictured above sells for $800CDN. contructed with mild steel flanges and all stainless pipe and 3" mandrel bends for the dp. i stand behind my work with a lifetime warranty against cracks/fitment issues... so if it cracks or doesn't fit properly i'll repair or replace it free. i'm trying to help everyone out here!

thegreatdane
03-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Thats a good deal for a nice custom manifold with a downpipe. $680 US. Try making a thread in the marketplace to see if there's interest.

thegreatdane
03-18-2007, 11:21 AM
id rather have a tissue paper manifold than an SS.

that's what I'm saying.

mike10562004
05-06-2007, 04:00 PM
dose anyone know if there is anyother manifolds from other cars that would fit our engine?

AccordEpicenter
05-06-2007, 04:04 PM
nothing fits, nothing seems even close

MessyHonda
05-06-2007, 08:34 PM
nothing fits, nothing seems even close

A20a1 got some F22 headers on er A20 with a lil bit of cutting and welding....check out a20's thread....:welcome:

bobafett
05-06-2007, 08:41 PM
'lil' bit. :) it wouldnt really help for a turbo manifold though...

snoopyloopy
05-08-2007, 08:40 AM
so is this guy still willing to make some? maybe he could make some sorta like what guaynobo got made for him. his is teh sexorz, especially since it keeps ac and ps. a manifold and downpipe would be wonderful. the rest would be easy to make.

3gmodifier
05-10-2007, 07:44 PM
the set up pictured looks pretty fuckin awesome. you said that was a be series. well i need one just like that for my b20a. is there any one out there with a b20a close to him for a fitment!!! its either that or i modify an h22 header. i have seen that a couple of time here. what exactly has to be done for that to fit?

weiRtech
01-20-2008, 04:33 AM
as mentioned earlier, i'd be more than willing to build some if someone local can come to mock it up. chatam is only about an hour and a half away from burlington.

RobT5580
01-20-2008, 08:14 AM
I am planning on having a ramhorm manifold for my B20A. The b20a block layout is pretty close to a B18 for mock up so i was going to chance it since they are not close to me. I had BMC make me stainless flanges so that would be all i would send them.

Im not 100% sold on it yet because i might stick to the simple ludespeed style log manifold because i know it works well.

thegreatdane
01-20-2008, 10:26 AM
I am planning on having a ramhorm manifold for my B20A. The b20a block layout is pretty close to a B18 for mock up so i was going to chance it since they are not close to me. I had BMC make me stainless flanges so that would be all i would send them.

Im not 100% sold on it yet because i might stick to the simple ludespeed style log manifold because i know it works well.

The B series are about completely vertical though, whereas our B20A's tilts forward a bit.

RobT5580
01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
The only critical issue is spacing it off the block because the dip stick should fall by the turbo. I have a mock up head and block on my bench and looking at other b series pictures i dont think for a ram horn its not going to be an issue to make without a mock up block.

Other manifolds definately because of the front mount. The only drawback im having with the ram horn is clearance on the radiator. I really dont want to use a half core so i will get some measurements and check on that before i order my manifold.

And weiRtech iv seen pictures of your work and it looks awesome if your the one on H-T!

A20A1
01-29-2008, 08:37 PM
'lil' bit. :) it wouldnt really help for a turbo manifold though...

thats right :D
I'm still using an A20 flange for the f22 header, and you need that part anyways for the turbo manifold so you might as well build one from scratch. If you had a f22 manifold lying around you might be able to reuse it with some work, but no sense buying the F22 manifold.

also remember the port differences; size and angle.

the white ring around each port shows you how much larger the F-series ports are to the A-series
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/exhg3.png