PDA

View Full Version : how much fdor a tranny swap

franks89sir
09-05-2002, 07:03 PM
ok i am planin g on swapin my auto to a 5 spedd transmission now lets say i took it to a transmission place how much would it cost or if i did it my self how much would iot cost thanx

87accordlx
09-05-2002, 07:55 PM
a shop would prolly charge u about 2000 or more, it makes more sense to buy another car with a 5 speed, to do it yourself will just cost the price of a donor car

smufguy
09-05-2002, 09:42 PM
also remember, u will be needing a lot of stuff along with it.

a different guage cluster (if u dotn want the gear marker on ur old one)

a clutch cable

clutch pedal assembly

u see, when u do wanna change the clutch pedal assembly u will notice that the clutch pedal has a sensor on top of it which means, the switch should be in on to hav ethe car started.

and that means, u gotta change the whole wiring harness which involves taking off the dash and heater and blower units. too. IF u wanna do it go for it, if ur scared of the money ur gonna spend on the wiring harness and shit, well. its ur call.

smufguy
09-05-2002, 09:45 PM
ur engine bay harness shoudl be changes cause the manual tranny has two electrical lines for the reverse gear light up. ur auto wiring harness is hooked up to the gear selector on the center console. so u see, u will be taking ur whole car off on the underside to just convert it to a 5 spd. just get a different 5 spd car, and all u gotta do is just swap ur engine.

YK86
09-05-2002, 10:42 PM
You don't have to change any of the harnesses. Read my how-to in the how-to section if you want to go and do it yourself. As for a tranny shop doing it, if you can find someone, labour alone will run ATLEAST $1000. Parts will cost roughly $500 including new clutch and throwout bearing plus resurfaced flywheel.