PDA

View Full Version : Popping in exhaust when car is cold?

mix4
02-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Since we've put the new head gasket in my car I've had a problem with popping in my exhaust when I use my gears to slow down when the engine is cold. Its not loud but its noticeable and annoying. I'm guessing we didn't put something back exactly like it was before. Is this the timing being off? Can someone explain to me what it could be and how I go about fixing it.

ZackieDarko
02-10-2007, 07:27 PM
what do you mean by poping?

usually when a cars exhaust "pops" (such as an SRT-4, Evo, WRX/STi cars with large exhausts and turbos) it is because of un-burnt hydrocarbons building up in the system and then ignighting giving it that "pop" it sounds a lot like a back fire

is that what your car is doing?

mix4
02-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah its back fire I guess. It continuously pops the whole time I slow down in gear though, but not loud, just small quick pops. When the engine is at normal temperatures it doesn't do it though.

ZackieDarko
02-10-2007, 07:37 PM
does your exhaust smell like gas?

mix4
02-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Not that I know of... would I be able to notice it at idle or should I get on it for a couple minutes and see?

Side note, I do notice that the car picks up and goes a bit faster than before I blew my gasket. When I take off it takes off like normal then about mid-way through 1st gear it just kicks in and goes. It didn't do that before. Also it chirps the tires when I hammer second, didn't do that before either.

teck
02-10-2007, 07:59 PM
hey man my car does the same thing i have a modified exhuast with high flow cant and it only pops when its cold and im using gears to slow down when the car is under regular temp it doesnt do it...

89T
02-10-2007, 08:02 PM
you'r timming is off. sounds alittle advanced.

mix4
02-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Hmm, maybe its the high-flow cat then. I did just recently get it put on. I know its not my exhaust because I've had it since a week after I bought the car two years ago. In the case that its the timing advanced, is that going to do any kind of damage to my engine? I'd rather my car last as long as possible than have the extra boost.

teck
02-10-2007, 08:09 PM
my car didnt do it until i put the high flow cat on. if its the timeing get it fixed!

89T
02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
a couple of degrese(sp?) wont hurt ya. but check timing anyway.

mix4
02-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Kinda funny the LX driver is ranked DX User and the DX driver is ranked LX... I'll take the car to a shop and see what they say about the timing.