PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Accord Timing Belt Replacement

kenthecarpetguy
02-12-2007, 09:07 AM
New here, new to Honda's. Just started driving a 1993 Honda Accord, it is a nice car but I smell a burning smell and it's running a bit rough. A mechanic said (without looking at it) it may be a timing belt. 180,000 miles and I know nothing of the cars history. I've done alot of car repairs and was wondering if anyone can:
a) direct me to free manuals to guide me through this repair
b) tell me any 'gotcha's' to look out for
c) suggest a way to tell if it's truly the timing belt that is failing
d) any other things i should replace while i'm in there

Thanks in advance,

Ken

azazel_18_2
02-13-2007, 07:17 AM
You smell burning? I doubt it is the timing belt more likely it is oil or wiring. Check for oil leaks first. You are in the wrong section. Anytime I buy a vehicle with over 75k miles on it I replace the timing belt. Most people say 105k miles but if it was driven hard I have seen timing belts snap as early as 57k miles. Don't wait to long to change the tbelt because it will trash your engine. I have seen it dozens of times. Here is a place to get free Honda Service Manuals for just about any Honda:
http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

You must sign up but they should have everything you need. They even have manuals for the NSX you pretty much name it and it is the best not a damn Chilton or Haynes. If you have never changed a timing belt you might want some help for this one. 3g accord timing belts are easy to replaced but I have heard the 4g accords are real fun to replace! Let us know!

shepherd79
02-13-2007, 07:39 AM
well since you have 4g accord you may want to try accordtunner.com
or this one dedicated to 4th gen accords http://www.cb7tuner.com/

azazel_18_2
02-13-2007, 07:50 AM
If you download this manual the timing belt replacement starts at 5-33. Looks like alot of fun especialy since it has a balance shaft. If you have never replaced one before I would highly recomend taking it to someone that has or have a friend help that has. It looks like fun but not as much fun as my 92 eclipse with the 2.0 DOHC. That was a bitch and a half!

LX-incredible
02-13-2007, 07:56 AM
d) any other things i should replace while i'm in there

I would replace the water pump, timing belt tensioner. and the countershaft belt.

There is a little ruber piece that is near the bottom of the pump that falls off, so watch out for it. Oh, and as I recall we had to remove the strut rod to get the lower cover off. Honda engineers:nuts: you think they could've given us an extra inch. You could just sell it and get a 3gee and not have this problem.:)

azazel_18_2
02-13-2007, 02:18 PM
what incredible said! I takes me 45 min tops to replace the tbelt on my 3g. Also, the 3g had the water pump driven by a different belt other than the timing belt! I changed the belt on the 4g accord and it was a bitch. Don't wanna do that again but if you want check out the manual and you should be able to do it if you have the know how.