PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers? Real or Not?

2Fast_Fiero
09-05-2002, 10:12 PM
How can someone tell by looking at a muffler, that it is a real muffler, or just a glasspack muffler? Ractive has a very WIDE selection of diff mufflers, some look like stock mufflers with tips added onto them, some look like the Glass Pack muffler that I put on my car from 3A Racing, how can someone tell which muffler is real?

BoredRec
09-06-2002, 12:36 AM
Not to sound rude or anything, but why does it matter?

2Fast_Fiero
09-06-2002, 05:47 AM
Because, It does. You'll find out why it matters once you start to care about your engines performance. That is why this is posted in "Performance".

BoredRec
09-06-2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by MSIAccord_LXi
Because, It does. You'll find out why it matters once you start to care about your engines performance. That is why this is posted in "Performance".

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Huh?! You asked how can you tell if someone else has a real muffler or not! I don't quite see how that was related to Performance. That was the reason for my inquiry. Maybe you should proof read your posts before you hit the submit button, and worry about more what you said instead of what others say. Like I said, I wasn't meaning to be rude, I was just curious on the reasoning for your question.

Experimental_Honda
09-06-2002, 07:03 AM
so if you have a real muffler why would it matter???

87AccordsterLx
09-06-2002, 07:41 AM
each offers different performance gains... as far as back-pressure is concerned and so on

Jims 86LXI HB
09-06-2002, 08:52 AM
:sadwave: shhhh, some people are very sensitive to the word "backpressure", lol, use the word "exhaust gas volocity"
;)

Neuspeed87lx
09-06-2002, 11:13 AM
haha jim

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
09-06-2002, 06:20 PM
:lol

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
09-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Hey Jims!! I need ur help!! i have an automatic.. I was thinking of getting a muffler!! which one should i get!! I guess I don't want one thats too loud, since my car is an auto!! It will sound funny I think!! any suggestions??? TY

2Fast_Fiero
09-06-2002, 06:40 PM
Ok Jims, your on your own on that :P :lol, BUT........It is related to performance because of the exact things jims and 88accordlx have been talking about for a few days now, backpreasure and umm....."exhaust gas volocity"........If a straight through muffler don't give the good enough low end tq, how will I know which muffler to buy if I can't hold it in my hands and see that its real?

<EDIT> I did not ask how to tell if SOMEONE has a real muffler or a can muffler, I asked how can I TELL what is a real muffler and whats a can muffler, when I shop, I look at pictures, and I want a high performance muffler that will help with a high powered engine's tq <EDIT>

HondaBoy
09-06-2002, 08:09 PM
hey MSIAccord_LXi, i see what your sayin about that exhaust thing. i see alot of people with a glass pack tip, but their car is a total puss. i got the stock exhaust with a nice tip. people say hey did u get a new exhaust . i say no . i plan to get a custom exhaust with dual mufflers.

87AccordsterLx
09-06-2002, 08:13 PM
LOL @ Jim... Ya I just read that post earlier.... We all know how that works though now...lol... as for MSI... you cant just look at a pic and buy the product... every site has a description of their product... we all know the basic mufflers that offer usable back pressure or "exhaust gas volocity" lol....... Flowmaster... dynomax... magnaflow... stick with those and you wont have to worry about getting stuck with a glasspack... unless that is what you want... just dont expect any low end cus it just wont happen.... good luck... my sugestion... being that you want high performance... is flowmaster... If you do the research it will tell you the recomended HP used for each model... peace

2Fast_Fiero
09-06-2002, 09:09 PM
Yea, I've been talkin it over with my guy in New Jersey, and you guys, and I'm gonna go with a Flowmaster 40 Series Dual Chamber Muffler with I DONT KNOW WHAT kind of tip yet, I guess I'll have to wait until I get the body kit. But right now I'm gonna get the car on some sort of ramps so that I can mark the pipe where I need to bend and stuff like that so I can get the 2 1/2" exaust pipe to go through the area made for it under the car to the area where the muffler is gonna be, But I still cannot tell, the mufflers I was lookin at on web pages from Ractive looked like real mufflers, and some looked like the Glass Pack Mufflers, I realy love this bendable exaust pipe, I'm just wondering if I should coat it with any sort of exaust paint like ceramic, or some sort of exaust inselation to help with heat.

89cordlx
09-07-2002, 09:04 PM
when I look under my car it does look like dual exhaust is suppost to be there. I don't see a reason to do it anyways.

2Fast_Fiero
09-07-2002, 09:41 PM
Where did that come from?