PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Removal

jschatte
02-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Well, it looks like my release bearing is going, so i have to change it, as well as the clutch and pressure plate while im at it. My question is, would it be easier to take the whole engine out instead of dropping the trans mission out through underneath the car?

also, any suggestions on an affordable oem replacement clutch would be appreciated.

russiankid
02-15-2007, 02:47 PM
I dropped my transmission with the help of my bro. It was straight forward until you actually moved it away from the engine, thats where a 3rd hand came in handy. Just make sure to label each bolt so you can put it back where it went, and be careful not to drop the transmission nor damage it when putting it back in. I went with a Exedy clutch disk and pressure plate. So far i like it.

Pretty much just take your time and do not rush things. And make sure to lube all the parts necessary as to what the manual says. Also replace the spring while your at replacing the bearing.

jschatte
02-15-2007, 05:07 PM
did you have to remove any of the front pass. suspension, or take out the front crossmember?

ghettogeddy
02-15-2007, 05:13 PM
i would makes life easy lol take both hte passenger and driver side suspension off

jschatte
02-15-2007, 05:17 PM
my whole underside of my car is rusted up so i wanna stay away from that stuff as much as nessary

ghettogeddy
02-15-2007, 05:40 PM
well u have to take ur drive shafts out and the easiest way is to take the suspension apart lol

russiankid
02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
well u have to take ur drive shafts out and the easiest way is to take the suspension apart lol
Actually, he can just disconnect the knuckle and the part where the shock mounts to the lower control arm and move the axle out of the way. You do need to remove the cross member, and very helpful to remove the whole dog bone mount.Also you need to remove the rear mount. Make sure you prop the engine up when the tranny is off.

88Accord-DX
02-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah, pull the tranny out the bottom. Pull the steering knuckle out the way by taking out the bottom & top ball joint, tie rod end. Pry the shaft out with pry bar. Take out the bottom crossmember & that bracket loose on the tranny in the back of it. Slide you a floor jack with some wood on it, if you can't man-handle it down.
Flywheel needs resurfaced, depends on how bad it is for which method to take. Good luck.

jschatte
02-15-2007, 08:29 PM
thanks for all your help, it is very much appreaciated. my dad was a mechanic for 10 years, and hes gonna be doing most of the work, but he just wanted to know the easiest way to do it

MessyHonda
02-15-2007, 09:59 PM
yeah dont take out the whole engine....just take out the tranny...get a new clutch and remember to resurface the flywheel or buy a new one.

ghettogeddy
02-15-2007, 10:01 PM
yeah dont take out the whole engine....just take out the tranny...get a new clutch and remember to resurface the flywheel or buy a new one.
new fly whells only run about 50-60 bucks at like napa so its not a pocket breaker

russiankid
02-16-2007, 04:42 AM
new fly whells only run about 50-60 bucks at like napa so its not a pocket breaker
Yea i payed $50 shipped for mine from Rockauto. Also when you are going to be taking the flywheel off, an impact wrench helps a ton.