PDA

View Full Version : Gas mileage

Xulfiqar
09-06-2002, 04:14 AM
Ive got some really bad gas mileage - like 16 miles per gallon. Please help me out here

I have personally observed the following things

The exhaust is a tad free flowing
The plugs are a bit dark
The engine lopes on sudden acceleration
Extremely slow pickup

Its really burning holes in my pockets.

Any ideas on what I should check for to rectify the following.

shepherd79
09-06-2002, 08:43 AM
it could be that you are running rich way rich.
the other thing is that your air jet valve is messed up and you are not getting anough air or something. i don't know how to check it. anyone help with this one?

check your airfilter. make sure it is nice and clean.

rocky2
09-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Feel your brakes for heat after a run. Also during a run try not to use brakes. They could be rubbing

A20A1
09-09-2002, 11:12 PM
check your tire pressure

Greg
10-23-2002, 04:28 PM
You should check your timing and also see if your advance works on your distributor.

I think retarded timing could foul up your plugs big time. It would also make your car accelerate like shit and give you bad gas mileage.

Maybe you have a vacuum leak or something like that too.

How does it sound at idle? Does it sputter, knock, ping???

It really could be lots of stuff. Bad compression? Blocked air filter?

Does the mixture smell really gassy? Is your choke plate not opening at all?

16mpg is definitely too low. Unless your tire pressures are at like 2 psi then you probably have a real problem. Could be small like a vacuum leak or blocked air filter or timing or it could be big like your distributor or your coil is all screwed up.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-23-2002, 07:49 PM
Could having bad oil in your car affect your gas mileage? I think I might go and check my timing (would that be the cause for a slower take offs?)

Xulfiqar
10-23-2002, 09:21 PM
just overhauled my distibutor - the damn breaker plate was jammed and the vacuum advance was not moving at all, even the stator was misaligned - the igniter did not have any grease insulation and and main oil seal was leaking - cost me about $30 and 2 hours work - the loping is gone - but the ignition timing is 40 degrees advanced and pings so though your entire cruise - I'm planning to check the timing belt for correct alignment.

The gas mileage is now like 20 mpg - still working on it,

another point - I changed the tranny oil - it was some kind of gear oil - I filled it with regular API SF 10W-40 engine oil - and now the car runs much more easily than before.

ACCORD EX
10-24-2002, 12:33 AM
does the car run ok ! ? hesitating ??

MIKE

Xulfiqar
10-24-2002, 04:03 AM
Umm

Yeah - It feels gutless - any ideas why

ACCORD EX
10-24-2002, 05:07 AM
if so you better chaack your mixture ! may be you are running too rich ! just screw the idle mixture screw in a little bit ! ( but do that while the car is fully hot ( fan came at least once ) and turn it in until you feel rpm decrease then turn it back a little bit !

be careful don't turn it quickly ! 1/2 a turn makes a difference !

MIKE !

Greg
10-24-2002, 07:33 AM
If your ignition timing is 40-degrees advanced, you're gonna have some serious problems.

What I would do first is make sure the timing marks for the crank and the cam are aligned, and then go after the distributor timing.

When I changed the timing belt on my girlfriend's 86LXI, there was a screw-up, and the timing was off by like 15 degrees.

The car ran really shitty, but after I fixed the timing to dead-on and adjusted the distributor, the thing runs pretty well.

So you should check the timing by pulling the little plug off of where the transaxle mates with the engine (at about the level of your exhaust manifold, toward the trans) and make sure that the TDC mark lines up with the cam TDC marks that you will see when you take the valve cover off (they're on the cam pulley).

If those are lined up, you should be able to get your ignition timing right by loosening the distributor hold down bolts and rotating the distributor.

I forgot the proper procedure, but I think that your timing light should show TDC with the timing advance vacuum hoses blocked off and it should be at the middle hash mark in the advance range (15 degrees I think, but I could be wrong) with the advance vacuum hoses unblocked.

Hope this helps.

-G in Chi-town

DanG86LX
10-24-2002, 07:48 AM
Xulfiqar>>> .. but the ignition timing is 40 degrees advanced and pings so though your entire cruise - I'm planning to check the timing belt for correct alignment.
Could u turn it down a bit ? Pinging is not good for ur engine.
..And if ur car feels gutless check centrifugal advance too.
I'm not much A/F screw fan. That screw is there just for IDLE and only for IDLE speed. Over 2000rpm, fuel is coming mostly from venturi nozzle.. also there is not enough vacuum there to draw mixture from idle passages.:werd:

Xulfiqar
10-24-2002, 09:16 PM
actually the timing marks on the flywheel are nearly lost - the thing was changed before I got the car - is there anyway to re stamp the marks on there. Or is there something as installing the flywheel incorrectly.

Another thing is that when I took apart the distrubutor - one of the centrifugal advance springs were weak - Any ideas on how the springs should be and should the arm return softly or stiffly when rotated.

I have another Daihatsu Charade the springs on its centrifugal advance are also arranged the same way - but it runs ok.

DanG86LX
10-26-2002, 10:05 PM
I would leave the springs alone. Had same Q on Technical, no opinions though. I read somewhere there might be 2 step spring action on centrifugal advance, making it flat at the top. ..Umm, stuff for performance guys to think about..

As for flywheel markings, PM carotman.

AZmike
11-05-2002, 09:02 AM
The is no way to install the flywheel with the marking out of place. There is a dowel between the bolt holes on the end of the crankshaft that fits into the flywheel. If it's dirty try pushing a rag with solvent on it into the timing hole and hold it against the flywheel and turning the crank with a wrench.

There's a pic here about 10 posts down:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4548

Xulfiqar
11-06-2002, 12:35 AM
I finally got the thing straight, the belt was misaligned 24 degrees BTDC - once I got it right - the timing showed up nicely as 21 degrees BTDC at idle with vacuum and 9 degrees BTDC without vacuum advance-

Thanx guys

Neuspeed007
11-06-2002, 09:13 PM
you should get the "Tornado" ive got it, it increases your gasmilage and some Horespower, but its saves me hella on gas a month

TornadoAir.com

DanG86LX
11-06-2002, 11:18 PM
Xulfiqar>>> ... and 9 degrees BTDC without vacuum advance- [/QUOTE]

Hmm.. doesn't seem right, it should be 4* without ...

rocky2
11-10-2002, 11:36 AM
Could also be a weak coil. Try a replacement with a boneyard one . You should at least get 25 mpg. And look at your choke to see if its competly open if its carbed. And check the timing belt out. If its frayed,do it. Then also adjust valves at that time.

mindlos
11-13-2002, 01:04 PM
Does anybody know the difference in mpg between summer gas and winter gas in the cold areas? I was at >29 and for some reason it plummetted to 26. Never recovered even with new filters, plugs, cap, rotor, carb cleaner, and italian tuneup. Wires were not that much older.

mowery
11-17-2002, 08:26 PM
Does the exhaust smell of gas after you first start it up? Could be a choke problem that's leaving it in an over-rich condition even after it's fully warmed up.

Before I resoved my choke problem, I could practically see the gas gauge moving lower it was running so rich.

89AccordLXI666
11-19-2002, 04:51 PM
I heard the so called "Tornado" doesnt work for jack sh*t. I heard it was all BS. I've also heard from many people that has bought one, they told me it didn't give em much Horse Power, I wouldn't buy one, I'd rather drop in a Vtec Type R Engine into the 3rd gen than a lousy gimmic called the Tornado, but that's just my opinion about it, so who ever owns one don't take it personally, but hey if it's working for your car, then I'm happy 4 you ya know, but my opinion is based upon what people said about it, n I know you shouldn't believe everything you hear but I was very convinced that it was a waist of $$$... Lataz

Neuspeed007
11-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLXI666
I heard the so called "Tornado" doesnt work for jack sh*t. I heard it was all BS. I've also heard from many people that has bought one, they told me it didn't give em much Horse Power, I wouldn't buy one, I'd rather drop in a Vtec Type R Engine into the 3rd gen than a lousy gimmic called the Tornado, but that's just my opinion about it, so who ever owns one don't take it personally, but hey if it's working for your car, then I'm happy 4 you ya know, but my opinion is based upon what people said about it, n I know you shouldn't believe everything you hear but I was very convinced that it was a waist of $$$... Lataz

here ill quote myself for ya
ive got it. it saves me hella on gas a month

thats alot of diffrent opinons about it. they should have a thread about the damn thing, not on this site though. well if your a rich person and your willing to throw in $60 extra bucks into your car then id shoot for it.

mindlos
11-20-2002, 09:07 AM
Does the exhaust smell of gas after you first start it up? Could be a choke problem that's leaving it in an over-rich condition even after it's fully warmed up.

That was to me right? Do you actually want me to get high on the exhaust!?!?! Just kidding! I havent really noticed that but maybe its because I want specifically looking for that. I'm sure I would have noticed though. Would that affect idle to a level higher than normal if the choke was not disengaged/whatever its supposed to do?

ive got it. it saves me hella on gas a month

You've been quoted again. Alright, can you qualify hella in terms of extra 1/2/3/4 or 5 mpg over X mpg so I can put the savings in perspective?

mowery
11-20-2002, 11:03 AM
Yep, a choke malfunction usually would effect idle in some manner. At least until the engine got really warm. (That's what mine was doing...)

Unless you've done some *really* aggressive mods, you should be getting around 30 mpg with a 5 speed. I did a 700 mile trip this past weekend and was getting about 34.

Keep us posted on how it turns out.