PDA

View Full Version : my steering rack?

Crazybird
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
ok so i got to park my beast int he garage and when i left everything seemed fine. but lately the steering has been a little choppy

so i come home today and my dad was like man go check ur oil, ur car was spitting all over the place

so i check the oil and discover that my power steering oil is down to the low mark

so i thought well thats probably why my car was steering a little funny. but then my dad tells me that if its really cold and i turn the wheel when not moving it coulda buggerd up my rack..... and i kinda spun my tires and turned the other day and i noticed sumthing funny right after it

so any advice as to whats wrong or will the oil be the answer since i have not driven my car yet since putting in the oil

1990DSM
02-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Your power steering pressure line probably has a hole in it. Every Accord I've owned had that problem.

Crazybird
02-16-2007, 05:04 PM
which line is that? and im guessing id have to buy a new line if it does have a hole right?

87lxiaccord
02-16-2007, 08:29 PM
yeah i have the same problem whenever you turn the wheel all the way it'll spit fluid everywhere, But in my car it only spits it out if the fluid is on the high mark if you leave it a little low it doesn't do it anymore. I'll just drive like that until i figure out if i need to replace the whole rack or just a seal or something

Blkblurr
02-19-2007, 09:39 AM
It's most likely the one that goes in between the radiator and the valve conver. The leak should be easy to find. BTW, your not going to hurt your rack by turning the steering wheel when it's cold. About the only way to hurt the rack is to run the car against a curb or try turining the steering wheel hard when the wheels are against something that doesn't move. If your rack is already bad (leaking) you could make it worse by doing what your Dad said.