PDA

View Full Version : Stumble on Accel

MarioBurke
02-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey I haven't been on here in a long time. Working for a new shop. We work on Audi, VW, BMW, and Porsche. Anyway the issue is with his car. It is an 88 accord. Carb. with an automatic transmission. As the car comes up to cruisin speed it acts normal. As he backs off the throttle for a bit and then starts to get back into the throttle it he describes a miss or loss of power and rather loud clunk. I haven't ran across this problem before. He thought it could be timing or distributor. The car runs fine all other times. If you could help me I would appreciate if you sent emails to [email protected]. I usually don't have the time to get on here any more. Thank you and appreciate all the help I have recieved from here.

Mario

BITESIZE
02-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Mario!!!!!!! I Was Thinking About You The Other Day! Good To Hear You're Still Alive!

MessyHonda
02-17-2007, 01:53 AM
clean the carb or rebuild it.

shepherd79
02-17-2007, 05:36 AM
check fuel pump.

MarioBurke
02-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Im sorry I do not believe its a fuel issue. I drove the car myself to diag. what he was talking about. it is not a surge. as you accelerate the RPM's jump about 500 and then return to normal. seems to be more like a transmission issue than a fuel issue? The problem can be felt significantly more shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th.

A20A1
02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Well if the lound clunk is from the trans... then maybe it's the trans, or the shifter linkage is loose/needs adjustment, or maybe the TV cable.

I know I can get it to clunk if I put the car inbetween gears on the shifter... kinda like a neutral drop into d3 at 3000 rpm.

The other clunk could be lack of spark... I had dizzy go funny on me. But mostly its from a bad ground or poor connection at some other wire.

There is no red dust in the dizzy is there?

MarioBurke
02-20-2007, 12:23 AM
I haven't had been able to get back to the car. he redisribed this clunk as if for a split second when you back off the accelerator and start to get back on it someone shuts the car off and back on? Doesn't quite make sense to me. I drove the car but have yet to to hear THiS noise.

MarioBurke
02-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Mario!!!!!!! I Was Thinking About You The Other Day! Good To Hear You're Still Alive!
Yeah I am still alive. The only Accord left in my family is my mom's. I got rid of all of them. Still just driving the Tahoe and Riding the bike.

Cheeseburger
02-20-2007, 12:56 AM
welcome back maing! still have the bike?

bushbean
02-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Mario,

My 88 Accord is having the exact same problem except I have a 5 speed. The problem began right after I replaced the timing belt and the clutch. I haven't been able to find the culprit.

Good luck.

A20A1
02-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I haven't had been able to get back to the car. he redisribed this clunk as if for a split second when you back off the accelerator and start to get back on it someone shuts the car off and back on? Doesn't quite make sense to me. I drove the car but have yet to to hear THiS noise.

Yeah probably the distributor or power to the coil or loose plug or plug wire or something like that.

But also what you just said brings a possible fuel problem back into the mix... or a vacuum leak somewhere.

Silent_Hill
08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
im having a slight problem like that too...

A20A1
08-24-2007, 04:55 PM
like what :) describe it and what you've tried to do to fix it already.

Silent_Hill
08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
i havent done much to try to fix it, i just checked my distributor cap and my cables and my spark plugs, there was one cable that kept coming undone and i fixed that but im still having the problem.