PDA

View Full Version : Why the gas needle goes down so much every time I brake hard.

Mario Calero
02-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Last full tank I made 410 miles, not bad for a carbed accord, however, lately I’ve noticed that everytime I brake the gas needle goes down a bit, like a millimetre or more or sort of, If I run the car fast for a while, the needle hardly moves down, but If I brake, the needle sure goes down a bit, If I brake at a low speed, this does not happen, but if I’m above 30kph and brake, the niddle goes down noticeably, I’m calculating no more than 300mpg the actual tank, I start noticing this two weeks ago, I am worried about it, my mileage is going down, I know I have an alignment problem, besides, the rear brake pads need a change, could this be affecting mileage so much?

Thank you.

Steve_Si
02-16-2007, 10:40 PM
well if the sender is at the back of the fuel tank and you brake hard, the liquid will move forward for a short time. Might be more resistance for it to go up than down, so when the fuel comes back it just doesn't go back up again.

Catalyst
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Well, my gas gauge drops heavily (like 1/8 of a tank, after I go down a steep decline, sometimes it will come back up when i straighten out, but sometimes it stays down... my guess is that the tank sensor is near the back of the tank, so when you hit the brakes, the gas slushes to the front of the tank, so your sensor reads lower.... but im not sure.... hopefully someone knows, that way both of us can get some help.

Cheeseburger
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
hola mario como estas.yo tambien soy the centro america wOot! ( my spelling might be wrong) but ive never heard of anyone say that their needle goes down every time they press on the breaks. I would check maybe for a gas leak?

mkymonkey
02-16-2007, 11:07 PM
hmm....maybe you break sooo hard that you scare the needle down a notch?

Civic Accord Honda
02-16-2007, 11:10 PM
lol my heat gauge go's down when i hit the gas hard or REV it up

mkymonkey
02-16-2007, 11:14 PM
thats because your car is overheating and the air hitting the radiator and motor is helping it get cooled.

so in other words...fix your car

MessyHonda
02-17-2007, 01:39 AM
yeah.....dont worry about it as long as you have gas in the tank.

Mario Calero
02-17-2007, 05:39 PM
"..after I go down a steep decline, sometimes it will come back up when i straighten out, but sometimes it stays down"

That is my exact case, sometimes the niddle comes up, sometimes not. I have the same issue than Catalyst.

Still a doubt to me, what could it be? This is forcing me to drive real gently, but I am little be an aggresive driver. I like to enjoy my honda, she's a sweet baby.

This is not a big problem, just scary on the mileage.

Mario