PDA

View Full Version : I hardly make my car run in the first try, always need a second try

Mario Calero
02-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Every morning when I turn on the car, the starter works good, the car starts fine, always start it in neutral, let it warm no more then 10 seconds, then shift to first gear and try to start moving and after a very small movement, the car shakes and turns off, if I turn it on immediately or later and try to make it run, it runs perfectly the second time, I don’t know why this happens, If I let the car warm for 30 seconds even more, the cars always shuts off the first time, the second try is always perfect.

I always start her in neutral, then shift.

Is it me or the car?

Thanks

Catalyst
02-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Automatic, or 5-speed?

Cheeseburger
02-16-2007, 10:46 PM
i think he has a 5speed

Catalyst
02-16-2007, 11:20 PM
If I were you, I would try to give your car a little more time to warm up before you leave in the morning. Just becuase I like to baby my car, I give her at LEAST 5 minutes in the morning to warm up before I drive it. Try that and see if your problem goes away. If the engine/tranny are really cold, that may make it take off hard.. but im no mechanic, so im not really sure. Good luck.

shepherd79
02-17-2007, 05:49 AM
10 seconds is not enough warm up time for carbed engine. it probably needs 10 seconda to get the oil circulating though the engine.
i say let it warm up for at least good 5 minutes.
if that doesn't help, check the fuel pump filters.

smufguy
02-17-2007, 07:07 AM
yeah i would definitely warm up my car longer that that. when i had my carb, it took me around 15 minutes during winter time to get it operating where it should be. If i was you, i would follow what Alex said.

MessyHonda
02-17-2007, 07:19 AM
yo caliento mi carro en como 3 minutos....mas en el invierno

russiankid
02-17-2007, 07:27 AM
My car does this sometimes when very cold, but it will start and just shut off, then start it again and it's fine. So like everyone else said, let it warm up.

Mario Calero
02-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Ok, I'll let her warm for a minutes at least, I'm used to the 10 seconds because most tecnical articles says it is a waste of fuel letting the car warm up for a long time, so I've always take this to heart and take just 10 seconds, but, if you use 3 minutes or more, I'll do the same, I believe more in you 3geezers than in thousand of articles that say this is a waste of fuel, they say, start and drive softly inmediately, shift gently at first while the car warms up while running... maybe the refer to newer cars.

Thanks for all your kind answer..yes, my car is mechanical, 5 speeds.

Mario

mix4
02-17-2007, 06:00 PM
I'd rather waste fuel than destroy the engine. My car is the same way, I let it warm up for at least 10 minutes before making it do anything. Its bad to make your engine move your car right after starting it up because the metal hasn't expanded yet in your engine from the heat, so you're throwing your pistons up and down and all the other crap in the engine while they're still in the process of expanding, that's why cars break down.

russiankid
02-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Ok, I'll let her warm for a minutes at least, I'm used to the 10 seconds because most tecnical articles says it is a waste of fuel letting the car warm up for a long time, so I've always take this to heart and take just 10 seconds, but, if you use 3 minutes or more, I'll do the same, I believe more in you 3geezers than in thousand of articles that say this is a waste of fuel, they say, start and drive softly inmediately, shift gently at first while the car warms up while running... maybe the refer to newer cars.
Mario
Well yes it does waste fuel during warm up, but over all i think it is best to warm it up, then drive it.

Crazybird
02-17-2007, 08:21 PM
well in a carbed car u need it to warm up so it only makes sense to let it warm up
i usually let my car warm up for 10-15 minutes in like -40 weather the one thing i love about the carb is that it always tells me when shes ready to start drivein cause she kicks down all the way and ya its a waste of fuel but dont kill ur car dude

russiankid
02-17-2007, 08:44 PM
well in a carbed car u need it to warm up so it only makes sense to let it warm up
i usually let my car warm up for 10-15 minutes in like -40 weather the one thing i love about the carb is that it always tells me when shes ready to start drivein cause she kicks down all the way and ya its a waste of fuel but dont kill ur car dude
I find it when you don't let it warm up well, it sometimes stumbles a little under load.

A20A1
02-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Mario

Well a long time isn't 3 minuets... I think a long time refers to those people that sit in their driveway for 10 minuets or even leave the car running while they are inside and make a cup of coffee.

Anyways I would check your cooling system... pump, belt, coolant level, and the percentage of antifreeze/coolant to water.

Other really common problems that can shut the car down is the ignition switch on the steering collumn, the park sensor for automatic cars... and one other thing but it just slipped my mind.