PDA

View Full Version : adjusting valve lash

newaccorddriver
02-16-2007, 11:15 PM
when adjusting valve lash, why is it that every cylinder has to be at TDC? if cylinder number 1 was at TDC, then wont all the valves from ALL cylinders be closed? if all the valves are closed, then wouldnt we be able to adjust the lash without changing which cylinder is at TDC since all the valves are closed?

shepherd79
02-17-2007, 05:58 AM
you have to adjust each cylinder at TDC. that is when all the valves are closed. you need that air gap for proper valve closing and proper lift.

after adjusting #1 cylinder you have to move #3 cylinder to TDC and so on and on.
Download chop manual and follow instructions.

if you put #1 cylinde at TDC, that is the only cylinder that is at that stage.
not all of them fire at same time.
firring order 1-3-4-2

here is how 4 stroke engine works. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm
every piston goes through 4 stroke stage, and at every stage there is TDC. that is why you need to adjust every individualy accrding to the firring order.

newaccorddriver
02-17-2007, 01:20 PM
but the thing is, my head is out of the car. so technically, when i set the cam to TDC, all the valves are closed.

what did you mean by air gap?

bobafett
02-17-2007, 02:43 PM
... just do it how the book says man...

point the arrow on the cam gear 'straight up' (perpendicular to the head), and line up the lines on the sides of the cam gear with the head, so they are all even.
set valves for cyl 1

then turn the cam gear 1/4 turn CCW (counter clockwise) (arrow will be pointing to the front of the car)
set valves for cyl 3

then turn the cam gear 1/4 turn CCW (arrow should be pointing down)
set valves for cyl 4

then turn the cam gear 1/4 turn CCW (arrow will be pointing towards the firewall)
set the valves for cyl 2

rejoice that you are done (until a week or so of driving when you need to reset them hahahaha)

when you are all done NORMALLY you want to spin the crank pulley a few rotations manually to make sure that nothing hits. but since your head is separate then I guess you cant really do that. so just remember to test it out before you fire the motor.

anyway just do it like that and you will be golden!
btw which cam are you installing? delta 272-282 wants .006 intake and .008 exhaust when cold. :)

I don't remember but I am pretty sure you can never get all the valves completely closed... and even if you could, you wouldn't want to set the valves like that. you need to make sure the cam lobes are in 'just the right spot' before you set the clearances.

newaccorddriver
02-17-2007, 04:36 PM
im dont have the baller status to run anything other then a stock cam.

what kinda valves are you running on your head? it just says OEM sized forged valves, and what valve springs are you using?

i wish i could use the head elijah gave me, but even that requires lash to be set, and im too scared about snapping a timing belt

bobafett
02-17-2007, 05:54 PM
i don't know the brand of the valves, or springs/retainers etc. i bought them from another member, who supposedly cant remember.

i imagine its probably all from SI valves though.... :) they certainly have a good selection of valves for our motors, and i imagine if you sent them stock springs they could hook us up with some awesome stuff that fits the bill. :)

and i am running stock cam too at the moment! ;)

A20A1
02-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Look at my how to, and turn the camshaft/cam gear till it is alligned how it is shown in the pictures.

just make sure you reinstall the head at TDC and turn the crank to match the TDC for that cylinder.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39319

newaccorddriver
02-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Look at my how to, and turn the camshaft/cam gear till it is alligned how it is shown in the pictures.

just make sure you reinstall the head at TDC and turn the crank to match the TDC for that cylinder.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39319

so its possible to adjust the lash when the heads out of the car as well?