PDA

View Full Version : Honda OEM dizzy vs. aftermarket

w261w261
02-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Guess it's time for a new distributor. I have all the signs. Majestic Honda (25% discount) is $604. I don't want one off a wreck. Anyone had experience with a particular brand of aftermarket? Thx.

MessyHonda
02-17-2007, 07:16 AM
for 600 bucks.....convert to OBD1

shepherd79
02-17-2007, 07:29 AM
what are you signs?
you can rebuild your distributor to run better. for a lot less money.
I just did mine and everything cost me about $60-70 in parts.
All you need is new vacuum advance if yours doesn't hold the vacuum.
new springs, you can get Mr. gasket performance set for chevy 350 at your local autoparts $10. It will make your advance kick in early thus boosting your low end and making your car a lot more city drivable.
get some oil, nail polish remover and q-tips. took me about 1 hour but everything works great.

the main mearing inside the distributor is sealed type so it is kind of hard for it do get damaged. the only thing your have to worry about is the play in the main shaft. the best way to find out is take distributor apart and try to move it. if you have any play, your bearing is worn out to shit.
all you have to do is take distributor apart, clean all the old hard greese off and put everything back together with new springs and vacuum advance (if needed.

you can buy distributor cheaper from advance autoparts or rockauto.com

PS. if you are going to buy vacuum advance, get it from a dealer. autoparts stores don't carry right ones for EFI.

A20A1
02-17-2007, 07:09 PM
wow $600, I get rebuilt ones for $250 and I get some money back after I return the core.

w261w261
02-21-2007, 06:29 PM
OK, well I've done some research. Autozone has one that's their house brand that's the least expensive, and it has a lifetime guarantee. Other brands range higher, and they have a 90 day guarantee. I'd go with the Autozone, but I wonder if their stuff is cheap crap. A lifetime guarantee doesn't mean so much if you're putting a new one in every couple of years.

Anyone have any experience with Autozone stuff?

Cardone seems to be a big name with less expensive, yet lifetime guarantee. Anyone with experience on their stuff?

carotman
02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
A lifetime guarantee doesn't mean anything in fact. It's guaranteed against material defects. If the distributor wears and breaks from regular use, that's not covered.

However, a new dizzy will last at least 10 years.

LX-incredible
02-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Cardone sucks.:madflip: I bought a remanufactured distributor from them. NONE of the sensors are new, old brittle wires, broken connectors (held to the dizzy with heat shrinks). The housing had a chunk broken off then epoxied shut. One of the wires that goes to the coil was cut and then soldered. After I installed my intake my car wouldn't start.:wtf: After checking everything I found that the solder joint had pulled apart.:rant: I guess a weatherproof crimp would've bankrupted them. They sandblast the outside, grease everything, replace advance springs, and test, for only $250, what a deal.:rolleyes: I've had bad experiences with cardone on everything but their calipers, find another rebuilder, or buy from honda. If I did it again I would buy a new one from honda for $600 rather than $250 + problems. When this one goes out, and it will, I will be going obd 1, which I should've done in the first place.

w261w261
02-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Well, Cardone does indeed suck. I had ordered a distributor from them (actually PartsAmerica.com) before the last post went up, so I held my breath. The distributor looked good, wires seemed to be ok. I didn't open it up. IT DIDN'T WORK! FUCK! All that trouble and waiting, then I ended up with one out of a junkyard, which would have been much simpler in the first place. Now I have to go back to Advance Auto Parts in Bridgeport to return it.

Cardone is now on my permanent shit list.

LX-incredible
02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
They've been in my book for years. Someone is making alot of money on these. I highly doubt that they spend over $15 to rebuild one.

w261w261
02-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Interestingly, my mechanic said that the rebuilt distributor was putting out spark, but the car had no fuel pressure. He reinstalled the old (failing) dizzy and things worked. He put in one from a wreck, and it worked. Apparently, there is a connection to the fuel pump through the distributor? Anyone know about this?

MessyHonda
02-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Interestingly, my mechanic said that the rebuilt distributor was putting out spark, but the car had no fuel pressure. He reinstalled the old (failing) dizzy and things worked. He put in one from a wreck, and it worked. Apparently, there is a connection to the fuel pump through the distributor? Anyone know about this?

wtf.....that is werid.....never heard of anything like that

A20A1
02-27-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't know efi cars well enough... maybe it has something to do with the tach output.

LX-incredible
02-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Our cars do not have a crankshaft position sensor, which is used to trigger the injector pulses and, in newer cars the coil packs. Since our engines were originally designed without fuel injection the cheapest way to add a CPS was to put one in the distributor. We actually gave 3 hall effect type sensors in our distributors. The one that you see when the cap is removed controls the spark, the other controls the firing of the four injectors, and the last tells the ECU which is cylinder #1 (TDC sensor). So yes, with our set up you can get a spark without an injector pulse signal.
One of the sensors inside is bad. I guess that good ol' A1 Cardone has decided that the distributors no longer need to be tested. Anyone reading this, learn from the mistakes of others and stay away from A1 Cardone. Car done... couldn't be further from the truth. Sorry for the rant, i've been drinking.:beer:

w261w261
02-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Just to finish off my adventures with the POS Cardone distributor: PartsAmerica.com has an arrangement with Advance Auto Parts where you can return stuff, such as the old distributor (to get the core charge refunded). I go there this morning with my non-functioning dizzy, and the manager tells me that they will do a credit and provide another one, but not a refund. Why? "We only give refunds on units that haven't been used." "Then how am I supposed to tell if the things doesn't work without installing it?" "We only give refunds on units that haven't been used." I finally asked him if he had seen the movie "Catch 22." The effort was wasted.

I eventually prevailed, but it took a call to PartsAmerica, then going back in the store and waiting for 10 or 15 minutes for this doofus to come back out to the counter.

For those who don't know what "Catch 22" is about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22_%28logic%29

LX-incredible
02-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Since it costs them so little to "rebuild" one of these, they probably could send out 3 or 4 malfunctioning units for every one that worked, and not take a loss. They usually won't return your money at first, but if you stand your ground you will prevail. Consider yourself lucky that it didn't work, it beats taking it up the @$$ later from A1.

CARDONE SUCKS!

MessyHonda
02-28-2007, 09:13 AM
good think we dont have cardone around here...

2oodoor
02-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Since it costs them so little to "rebuild" one of these, they probably could send out 3 or 4 malfunctioning units for every one that worked, and not take a loss. They usually won't return your money at first, but if you stand your ground you will prevail. Consider yourself lucky that it didn't work, it beats taking it up the @$$ later from A1.

CARDONE SUCKS!

Yea watch out for reman distributors, some times they just replace what may be defective and leave the rest of the old parts in it, just cleaned.
I always rebuild all my distributors in anything I ever had that had one, but have not done this Honda yet.
somebody mentioned you can use the Chevy advance springs, which ones, the kit comes with differrent degrees of early advance, lighter to heavier spings in otherwords. So which ones are good for low end city driving, and my car as described in sig.
Thanks

LX-incredible
02-28-2007, 09:22 AM
good think we dont have cardone around here...
Lucky, that's all the parts stores sell around here.:( If it's your only car, you almost have to get cardone, and it's getting so hard to find a good dizzy at the j/y.

w261w261
03-02-2007, 01:24 PM
So I left a rant at the Cardone web site. Some guy sent me a message back, kind of a generic one. I left a more detailed rant, including the pasted text about the 3 sensors that was on a previous message on this thread. He replied, asked me for the number off the part, said their technicians are all held personally responsible for their work. The only trouble was, his English was a little ... formal ... kind of like ... Bombay. I suggested that if Cardone was so concerned, that they should send me a free distributor to make up for the time and trouble they had caused me. He didn't reply to that message LOL.

Oldblueaccord
03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
theres a Beck Arnley and a Hi test reman on rock auto might be a shot.
http://info.rockauto.com/BeckArnley/Detail.html?1850601.jpg
I too am having the run around with Cardone on the brakes on my IH scout atm. Half the stuff thats susposed to be in with the calipers wasnt. I m one of those people that check the stuff while your waiting in line behind me.:) The guy told me hes so sick of Cardone stuff and comebacks he just gave me the copper washers of the help shelf for free and I had to order the slides as well which really should be part of the caliper kit anyway.
I cant wait to see how they work :violin:
wp

w261w261
03-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Cardone has a nice slick web site. And they talk a good game. It looks like they have a cynical business model, e.g. talk about excellence but in reality just throw shit out there. I'd like to say that that kind of a strategy self-destructs eventually, when someone else comes in and really does what they say they're doing, but it might take awhile. This is what happened to Detroit, now the "Big 3" are about to be a shadow of their former selves, and they only have themselves to blame.

LX-incredible
03-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I too am having the run around with Cardone on the brakes on my IH scout atm. Half the stuff thats susposed to be in with the calipers wasnt. I m one of those people that check the stuff while your waiting in line behind me.:) The guy told me hes so sick of Cardone stuff and comebacks he just gave me the copper washers of the help shelf for free and I had to order the slides as well which really should be part of the caliper kit anyway.
I cant wait to see how they work :violin:
wp
That's right, I also remember not getting new crush washers with the calipers I got from them. We just reused the old ones, which is a big no-no.:thumbdn: I take back what I said earlier, EVERYTHING CARDONE SUCKS!:gun: Of course the calipers haven't started to leak yet, unlike the NUGEON ones I put on the honda. They only lasted like 3 weeks! I've had problems with almost every rebulider at some point. I am just going to start doing it myself. The parts cost almost as much as getting a rebuilt unit, but they will all be new and it will be done right. I you have to get a rebuilt part, try to get it from the same manufacturer that originally made the part. They have all the parts to replace everything on it and the knowhow to do it right. Denso is a good example if this.

LX-incredible
03-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Cardone has a nice slick web site. And they talk a good game. It looks like they have a cynical business model, e.g. talk about excellence but in reality just throw shit out there. I'd like to say that that kind of a strategy self-destructs eventually, when someone else comes in and really does what they say they're doing, but it might take awhile.
I can't wait until that day. You might like to think that it will be soon, but it won't.:violin:
Cardone is everywhere and it is cheap. Most people are willing to take their chances and go with the cheaper part. I was like this, but when you work on vehicles enough, you learn to steer away from it. Most shops don't care about the quality of the parts they install. If it goes out within the warranty you get a free replacement, but labour is never included. The owner of the vehicle will probably sell it before the part even goes out. Let us not forget it is a changing world. People are in a continuous cycle of buying new vehicles and trading them in before the warranty is up. There is not such a demand for rebuilders as there once was. Unfortunately, I belive companies like cardone will be around for a long time and the best that we can do is try to steer others away from them as well.

w261w261
03-02-2007, 02:56 PM
My customer service guy, "Ralph" said he would communicate my request for
a free distributor to the "appropriate person." I'm not holding my breath.

You got all these manufacturers in 3rd and 4th world countries clamoring for business, and trying to get it with the lowest prices. Quality has to suffer in that environment. If I had the skills and the time I'd rebuild stuff myself also, but I don't. So I buy Honda most of the time, but on the distributor $600 was just too steep, therefore I took a shot on Cardone. With hindsight, considering the hassle it caused me, $600 maybe wasn't so bad. C'est la vie.

Also the junkyard replacement is working fine, so we'll see.

LX-incredible
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
If I had the skills and the time I'd rebuild stuff myself also, but I don't. So I buy Honda most of the time, but on the distributor $600 was just too steep, therefore I took a shot on Cardone. With hindsight, considering the hassle it caused me, $600 maybe wasn't so bad. C'est la vie.
Also the junkyard replacement is working fine, so we'll see.
I was in the same boat when my dizzy shat on me. Didn't have any means to buy one through the net, couldn't find the parts to rebuild it, and didn't have the time. My dealership wanted over $800 for it, cardone was the only choice at the time. I had to get it, as the tranny on the burban was out at the time, and this was my only vehicle. If I could of got one on the net for $600, I would have. I guess it's alright, the money I saved can go towards an obd 1 conversion in the future.:)

C'est la vie?

Oldblueaccord
03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
That's right, I also remember not getting new crush washers with the calipers I got from them. We just reused the old ones, which is a big no-no.:thumbdn: I take back what I said earlier, EVERYTHING CARDONE SUCKS!:gun: Of course the calipers haven't started to leak yet, unlike the NUGEON ones I put on the honda. They only lasted like 3 weeks! I've had problems with almost every rebulider at some point. I am just going to start doing it myself. The parts cost almost as much as getting a rebuilt unit, but they will all be new and it will be done right. I you have to get a rebuilt part, try to get it from the same manufacturer that originally made the part. They have all the parts to replace everything on it and the knowhow to do it right. Denso is a good example if this.

Yeah what was funny was the stuff was bagged(seal) that way. One had 2 copper washers in it the other didn't have any so it was straight from Cardone that way.

I told my wife the other day its coming to the point that I'm gonna take a break from cars for a while its just getting old. I dont like to buy Chinese anyway and to search for a decent say 2 ton floor jack for 3 months and not find one "Henco en China" its just getting to be to much of a fight just to refresh the brakes on a vehicle, albit old, it uses 1/2 ton Ford (bendix) brakes.

I guess with the distributor you could mix and match like take the new dizzy replace the bad sensor and all that.

Thats kinda why with my Honda it appears to have a leaking master cylinderbut I'm dragging my feet on replacing it its gonna be the crap shoot parts deal.

I think as consumers its our own fault for buying the lowest price on anything which for years I have been the worst at. But now that Im a little more finacially able to I try to buy quality. Like with the jack deal I just bought a half-lift and said fuck the jack.

wp

w261w261
03-02-2007, 06:09 PM
<C'est la vie?>

"So it goes," or "that's life"

LX-incredible
03-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Yeah what was funny was the stuff was bagged(seal) that way. One had 2 copper washers in it the other didn't have any so it was straight from Cardone that way.
I told my wife the other day its coming to the point that I'm gonna take a break from cars for a while its just getting old. I dont like to buy Chinese anyway and to search for a decent say 2 ton floor jack for 3 months and not find one "Henco en China" its just getting to be to much of a fight just to refresh the brakes on a vehicle, albit old, it uses 1/2 ton Ford (bendix) brakes.
I guess with the distributor you could mix and match like take the new dizzy replace the bad sensor and all that.
Thats kinda why with my Honda it appears to have a leaking master cylinderbut I'm dragging my feet on replacing it its gonna be the crap shoot parts deal.
I think as consumers its our own fault for buying the lowest price on anything which for years I have been the worst at. But now that Im a little more finacially able to I try to buy quality. Like with the jack deal I just bought a half-lift and said fuck the jack.
wp

I hear ya on the chinese tools. It seems that everything with more than a few pounds of metal in it is made overseas. I would pay 5 times as much for a non-chinese floor jack, these things just don't last.

I got a all-new Raybestos master for $80. It was only like $5 more than the rebuilt one. Came with everything, I have had no problems with it.:thumbup:

What do you mean by; "it uses 1/2 ton Ford (bendix) brakes"?

Oldblueaccord
03-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Well back in the day Bendix made alotta brake parts when we could make things outta metal here . Most of the vehicles in the 70's had bendix brakes front and rear. My International Scout 2 has front discs just like a 70's era Ford 1/2 ton pickup would.

Somebody real smart on here should reman our dizzys. Most just need new bearings anyway that and test out the sensors and sell em it be a good thing.

wp

w261w261
03-04-2007, 08:39 AM
<I can't wait until that day. You might like to think that it will be soon, but it won't>

But eventually the day arrives. In the case of mass-marketed products it's the sum of each person's individual decision...pretty soon all those decisions become visible as sales drop.

I got a copy of the newest Consumer Reports today. They dont' recommend a single Mercedes Benz, something no other manufacturer achieved. And our neighbor, a retired radiologist, just bought a 5 Series Bimmer, after a lifetime of Mercedes. He said he heard that people have trouble with them. Honda, btw, had 100% of it's vehicles recommended by CR, Toyota was like 70%. The magazine pointed out that a '96 Lexus has fewer problems than an '06 Mercedes SUV.

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Somebody real smart on here should reman our dizzys. Most just need new bearings anyway that and test out the sensors and sell em it be a good thing.
wp
I have tried this. All of the seals can be easily found, but the bearing cannot. I tried matching some up, the OD is somewhat standard, but the ID is larger for our bearings. I suppose that we could buy these and have the ID machined to fit, but who wants to go to the trouble? Has anyone found an exact replacement for these? Another problem is finding the advance springs. Someone mentioned using chevy advance springs. If so, which ones? If the bearing and the springs could be had, there would be no trouble in rebuilding these. Of course the distributor to be rebuilt would have be pulled before the mechanical advance grenaded, although I have only seen this on one so far. I also recall, correct me if I'm wrong, that the advance weights have nylon bushings on the pivots. These should be easier to find and would probably be needed.

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 11:30 AM
<I can't wait until that day. You might like to think that it will be soon, but it won't>
But eventually the day arrives. In the case of mass-marketed products it's the sum of each person's individual decision...pretty soon all those decisions become visible as sales drop.
I got a copy of the newest Consumer Reports today. They dont' recommend a single Mercedes Benz, something no other manufacturer achieved. And our neighbor, a retired radiologist, just bought a 5 Series Bimmer, after a lifetime of Mercedes. He said he heard that people have trouble with them. Honda, btw, had 100% of it's vehicles recommended by CR, Toyota was like 70%. The magazine pointed out that a '96 Lexus has fewer problems than an '06 Mercedes SUV.
Yes...eventually.:violin: Every parts store or mechanic that I've been to recommends cardone and claims no problems. From my experiences I can't see how this is true. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a consumer report done on rebuilders?;)

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 11:31 AM
sorry...dp

cygnus x-1
03-04-2007, 12:16 PM
I have tried this. All of the seals can be easily found, but the bearing cannot. I tried matching some up, the OD is somewhat standard, but the ID is larger for our bearings. I suppose that we could buy these and have the ID machined to fit, but who wants to go to the trouble? Has anyone found an exact replacement for these? Another problem is finding the advance springs. Someone mentioned using chevy advance springs. If so, which ones? If the bearing and the springs could be had, there would be no trouble in rebuilding these. Of course the distributor to be rebuilt would have be pulled before the mechanical advance grenaded, although I have only seen this on one so far. I also recall, correct me if I'm wrong, that the advance weights have nylon bushings on the pivots. These should be easier to find and would probably be needed.

How non-standard is it? Do you have any measurements? Boring out the inside of a bushing is pretty easy to do.

C|

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 12:34 PM
The ID is .491", the OD is 1.26", and it is a ball bearing, not a bushing:
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/7730/0304071328go7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The bearing is a koyo 83805.

cygnus x-1
03-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Hmm, that sucks. 12.5mm x 32mm. Non-standard is right. Forget about machining one of those. The only other option would be to use a bearing with a larger ID and make up a sleeve. That's a bit more work, although still not terribly difficult. Not sure how that would affect reassembly though.

C|

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I couldn't find a bearing with a larger ID. I guess some RX-7s used the same bearing: http://www.rx7club.com/archive/index.php/t-246003.html, but like ours, the dealer only sells the bearing with the dizzy. I will look into this further.

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Okay, I think I found a replacement: http://bearingsdirect.com/products/index.php?action=item&id=5176&prevaction=category&previd=48&prevstart=0
I ordered 2 of them and will let you know how they work.

cygnus x-1
03-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Okay, I think I found a replacement: http://bearingsdirect.com/products/index.php?action=item&id=5176&prevaction=category&previd=48&prevstart=0
I ordered 2 of them and will let you know how they work.

Oh wow, nice find. Those should work. It's wierd because 6201 is the number for the standard size 12mm x 32mm.

The next larger standard size is 15mm x 32mm.

C|

w261w261
03-04-2007, 03:18 PM
OK, time for a slight digression. All this talk of advance weights etc reminded me of the origin of the expression "balls to the wall." It's not at all what you might think.

In the days of steam locomotives, they used a rev limiter of a couple of hinged arms with ball weights on the ends. As the rotation speed increased, the "balls" were pulled out to the "wall" of the chamber, and when they had gotten all the way out, a valve was opened to release the pressure. Hence the term.

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 07:31 PM
I know what you are talking about and I think that they called them governors. I didn't know that is where the phrase came from though, kinda cool.

cygnus x-1
03-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Now that's what Honda needs, a steam engine. Talk about torque.

C|

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Now that's what Honda needs, a steam engine. Talk about torque.

C|
I could imagine it now... steam engine meeting EPA standards.;) Catalytic converters, ECU, oxygen sensors... the works.

nskforlife
03-04-2007, 09:13 PM
it always sucks to not have the time or place to do things. i'm stuck living at home in an apartment complex where i can't get crap done on my car...
i didn't have the knowledge at one time either. but heres what you do.

get yourself a set of 8mm,10mm,12mm,14mm,16mm,17mm, and 32mm sockets and wrenches. get a set of socket extensions to reach "hard to get" areas. and a couple of screwdrivers phillips and flathead and head to your local junkyard. start pulling things apart on the car and figure how things come apart and how they work. i(for the main part) had to teach myself all that i know and listen to other people talk about cars and listen to their opinion...
i used to be scared of changing my oil, now i'm not scared or anything, just hoping nothing happens lol.

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 09:33 PM
it always sucks to not have the time or place to do things. i'm stuck living at home in an apartment complex where i can't get crap done on my car...
i didn't have the knowledge at one time either. but heres what you do.
get yourself a set of 8mm,10mm,12mm,14mm,16mm,17mm, and 32mm sockets and wrenches. get a set of socket extensions to reach "hard to get" areas. and a couple of screwdrivers phillips and flathead and head to your local junkyard. start pulling things apart on the car and figure how things come apart and how they work. i(for the main part) had to teach myself all that i know and listen to other people talk about cars and listen to their opinion...
i used to be scared of changing my oil, now i'm not scared or anything, just hoping nothing happens lol.
:welcome: Who are you talking to?

88Accord-DX
03-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I been considering rebuilding a J/Y distributor for some time. From what I can tell, the Hitachi dissy has springs in it & the TEC don't. (from looking at Majestic website). The only part that would be real expensive to rebuild the TEC one, is that ignitor mounted on the outside. Other than that, the parts list don't look to bad for dealer prices.

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 10:03 PM
The TEC is what I'm talking about. It has 2 advance springs, a weak one and a stronger one.

88Accord-DX
03-04-2007, 10:10 PM
The TEC is what I'm talking about. It has 2 advance springs, a weak one and a stronger one.
The Hitachi has the springs. Here is a pic of TEC one.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13sg70_f02.gif

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Dude, if our distributors didn't have springs, they couldn't have a mechanical advance. The computer would have to make all the timing adjustments, negating the need for us to convert to OBD I. I promise you that they have springs. I can take pics of the ones that I have pulled apart.

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1028/0304072331cj8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Oldblueaccord
03-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I think its Mr.gasket that sells the advance springs they seem the same I think the Chevy ones work on my Dodge as well.

EDIT:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400330+304681+115&autoview=sku

Any machining give me a shout I can do some things if needed. As far as the ignitor I would let people do there own I think there 80-90$ on rockauto.

Whats the Honda bearing number anyway. Do they have a number on it? Most bearings really are metric anyway. The only ones that really are standard are for electric motor shafts like .500" and 750".

EDIT 2 I saw your number

http://www.nskf-bearings.com/Product_number/products_general_catalogue/bearings_8.htm

83805 should be a 6201

wp

Oldblueaccord
03-04-2007, 11:54 PM
SKF 6201 2rs/C3

ID .470-.473

OD 1.260

I got 2 on the shelf actually.

The 2 RS just means seals not shields over the bearing the C# I cant remember at this time. The SKF cat. should have the info.

wp

EDIT:

OK wow the NSK 6201-08VVC3 bearing is .500 ID 1.260" OD

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 12:32 AM
SKF 6201 2rs/C3
ID .470-.473
OD 1.260
I got 2 on the shelf actually.
The 2 RS just means seals not shields over the bearing the C# I cant remember at this time. The SKF cat. should have the info.
wp
EDIT:
OK wow the NSK 6201-08VVC3 bearing is .500 ID 1.260" OD
I already ordered the bearings that I mentioned earlier: http://bearingsdirect.com/products/index.php?action=item&id=5176&prevaction=category&previd=48&prevstart=0 So these come with metal shields and the ones that you're talking about come with the rubber seals? Are these 10 mm high as well? I don't think that the seals would matter because it is in a sealed environment anyway. They are rated to 21,000 RPM, I don't think that there will be a problem.

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 01:01 AM
I think its Mr.gasket that sells the advance springs they seem the same I think the Chevy ones work on my Dodge as well.
EDIT:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400330+304681+115&autoview=sku
Any machining give me a shout I can do some things if needed. As far as the ignitor I would let people do there own I think there 80-90$ on rockauto.
I wonder which combination of the springs would need to be used, maybe I'll get a set and play around with 'em.:)
For the ignitor, some rebuilders say the ignitor is not included, but you get a used one anyway, probably to cover their ass if it is defective. From what I've heard, a used OEM ignitor is better than the majority of cheap aftermarket ones out there. I would just include a working used one and if they wanted a new one it would be up to them.
There shouldn't be any machining required, but if there is, we'll talk.

cygnus x-1
03-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Just to be completely pedantic it's 12.5mm ID not 0.500" ID. 12.5mm = 0.4921". Whoever came up with a 12.5mm ID bearing should be flogged. That's SO close to the standard size of 12mm. Why? WHY?!?!?!

I feel better now.

C|

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Just to be completely pedantic it's 12.5mm ID not 0.500" ID. 12.5mm = 0.4921". Whoever came up with a 12.5mm ID bearing should be flogged. That's SO close to the standard size of 12mm. Why? WHY?!?!?!

I feel better now.

C|
To make you buy a new distributor.:gun:

Oldblueaccord
03-06-2007, 12:01 AM
One other issue that hasnt been touched is the vacuum advance unit. It needs to be checked as well I guess.

As far as springs I really could not tell you.

As far as set up a good dial back timing light is really helpful to see where your timing is at what rpm etc.

For myself I cheat I sent a distributor to a place here in town and they set the curve up for me based on my cam and vacuum readings etc using a distributor machine.That was on my 440. I have had thoughts of rigging one up myself using the lath here at work to spin the dizzy but I havent gotten to it.

wp

LX-incredible
03-06-2007, 12:38 AM
I have one of those timing lights and the info to check the mechanical advance and the vacuum advance. I haven't got the springs yet, summit wants like $11 for handling on them. Everything else is on order and I have two TEC cores to start with.

w261w261
03-06-2007, 06:27 AM
From all the posts on this thread, there might be an opportunity for someone to make a couple of bucks and do people a service. I know I'd surely buy a rebuilt here if I knew that someone that cared was handling it. I can't be alone in thinking that way.

Oldblueaccord
03-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Summit? should be free shipping. Im looking at the catalog as I write this.

wp

LX-incredible
03-06-2007, 08:37 AM
The shipping is free, but there is a handling charge of $10.95. Last time I ordered from them I spent over $300 and the handling charge was also $10.95. I am going to try to find something locally first.

Oldblueaccord
05-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Any update on this ?

wp