PDA

View Full Version : how to bleed cooling system?

Mantis88LX
09-06-2002, 05:58 AM
can someone please tell me the steps to do this,

thanx

BoredRec
09-06-2002, 06:50 AM
Crack open the cleeder screw on the thermostat housing, close when coolant starts to flow out of the screw. Viola!

DBMaster
09-06-2002, 07:04 AM
I was never able to get the thing to bleed coolant without having the engine running first. I wonder why that is.

anchovies
09-06-2002, 01:17 PM
DBMaster: maybe it's still on too tight and coolant can't flow through it?

Mantis88LX: Make sure temperature slider is at max (hot), loosen the bleed bolt, fill up the coolant in the radiator, keep the cap off, coolant should start flowing out from the bleed hole, close bleed bolt when no more "bubly" coolant (air), run car until fan comes on (coolant might come out!!), squeeze the upper radiator hose to "burp" it, top the coolant up in the rad, close radiator cap

good luck

DBMaster
09-06-2002, 01:51 PM
How long do you usually have to leave the bleeder bolt open to clear the bubbles? I guess I must have done all right because I have changed the coolant a good number of times in 198,000 miles, but I usually ended up bleeding with the engine running.

anchovies
09-06-2002, 10:58 PM
When you are filling coolant to the radiator, the coolant will flow out from the bleed hole. Just take the bleed bolt off. But remember to put it back on and tighten it before starting the car. Trust me, you don't want to make your car a coolant fountain.

BoredRec
09-06-2002, 11:06 PM
Other important tip...don't tighten the bleeder too hard when yer done. That's only aluminum holding it on, it doesn't need a lot of torque to tighten. Too much and you break it off, screaming "SHIT!" cuz coolant is pouring out of the newly made hole (taken from personal experience).