PDA

View Full Version : O2 Sensor Question

DBMaster
09-06-2002, 06:05 AM
Please answer this only if you are sure of yourself. How can you tell if one (or both) of the O2 sensors on an LXi are worn out? The factory service manual says you should be getting an ECU code. There are separate codes for sensor 1 and sensor 2.

I guess what I am asking is has anyone NOT had an ECU code and replaced their O2 sensors with a positive result?

Thanks!

dj99
09-06-2002, 06:59 AM
On my LX (one sensor)...

When I had mine changed out during a muffler job (at car's 11th year), there was no ECU code. After that, I thought the car had never run as well, fixing the tendency to stall after first starting in my opinion (from day 1). Not to mention getting some zeroes on my next emission test, which could partly be due to a new catalytic converter, but also that the o2 sensor is key for emissions efficiency.

In the big scheme of things, they aren't that expensive. The manual only shows how to test them for dead or alive after receiving an ECU code, but not how well they are working. The hard part is getting to them and getting them out of the rusty manifold with the special socket.

DanG86LX
09-06-2002, 08:30 AM
To DG99:
Where is O2 sensor on ur car? Is it close to cat? Couldn't find mine (under exhaust manifold), let alone test it.

1988starter
09-06-2002, 08:31 AM
Wehn I replaced mine I got better gas mileage. Maybe a bit more peformance.

dj99
09-06-2002, 09:17 AM
DanG86LX -

Just look down between the radiator and the exhaust manifold. It is screwed into the front of the manifold with the wire pointing forward. If you want to replace it, be sure to get the special socket with the hole in it for the wire.

DanG86LX
09-06-2002, 09:48 AM
Ugh.. definitely is not there. Maybe my car does not have one. My car is :werd:

Thanks DG99

dj99
09-06-2002, 10:36 AM
Maybe the Canadian model differed? You don't have #13 in this pic?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1986&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+MANIFOLD+%281%29

smufguy
09-06-2002, 11:12 AM
there is no real way of pinpointing which (left or right) O2 sensor is messed up. u gotta buy two and test them individually, by taking one old one out, putting one new one in its place, start the car, see if the ecu throws the code. if it does, take the new one out and put the old back in and remove the other old one and put the new one in its place. if the ecu still throws codes, change both. if nothing happens. just get the one that is messed up replaced. by the way, dont get it from majestic honda, its fucking expensive. go to NOPI and get a BOSCH for around 16 bucks.