PDA

View Full Version : rear bumper beam

buster133
09-06-2002, 08:59 AM
I was pushing in on the center section of the outside plastic bumper cover ever so slightly on my 89 lxi coupe and I heard a funny sound and a bunch of little rusty potato chip like flakes fell onto the ground, followed by a really big piece of rusty metal, about 2 by 6 inches. I found a flashlight and looked up underneath the back bumper and discovered that the metal bumper beam that goes all the way accross, is starting to rot out at its center seam and I have already lost a big chunk of it, where I can now see inside the hollow beam. Is this common, have you guys noticed this on your cars or am I the only one.I live in the north east so the underneath gets it's share or snow and road salt. Should I be worrying about this, I mean the bumper is a pretty important piece of the car and I don't want the beam to collapse and the bumper to fall off if it gets bumped into good enough. Also, if I choose to fix this should I buy a brand new beam either aftermarket or from Honda, or should I find one from the junkyard that's not rusted up too badly. Another thing, would the bumper beams from sedans and coupes be interchangeable, I don't see why not but you never know. Sorry for the long story and thanks in advance.

87Hybrid
09-06-2002, 09:30 AM
I would get a used beam from the same bodystyle (just to be safe) from an area that dosent use roadsalt. We don't hafe ard winters here and no salt so the beams at my U-Pull-It yard are in excellent shape but I dont know if the shipping to you would be too expensive since I don't know where you are from. Or you could get one from either HAP recyclers or Auto adventure, Both are honda only wreckers and ship worldwide from their websites.

Neuspeed87lx
09-06-2002, 11:14 AM
just look at it as weight reduction

AZmike
09-06-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by 87Hybrid
Or you could get one from either HAP recyclers or Auto adventure, Both are honda only wreckers and ship worldwide from their websites.

Could you post those sites for us?

87Hybrid
09-06-2002, 02:17 PM
Auto Adventure (http://www.partsadventure.com/)
HAP Recycling (http://www.haprecyc.com/)
There you go. Hope it helps