PDA

View Full Version : just got out of the booth an hour ago

lostforawhile
02-20-2007, 07:44 PM
ok finally got some spraying done on the hatch,got the roof in high build,next week i'll try to get at least half of the car primed. the pictures came out lousy,the booth lights were screwing with the camera somehow. I can't believe the roof is finally done,it seems i've been working on it forever. between getting rid of the antenna and the washer,to fixing all the dents,to molding the XM antenna into it,it's taken forever. I just see a very few small low spots,nothing glazing putty won't fix. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/1-7.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/2-7.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/3-7.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/4-5.jpg

A20A1
02-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Paint the hood all one color, the black looked okay for a bit but now I think just paint it the same color. I dunno if thats the way you were going or not?

shepherd79
02-20-2007, 07:46 PM
very nice.
what color are you going to paint it?

lostforawhile
02-20-2007, 07:52 PM
very nice.
what color are you going to paint it?probably the factory white,the hatchs are getting rare enough,the white ones are even more rare. I'm still going to do the panda below the trm,look factory,yet different. white was the traditional japanese race car,the italians were red,the english were green,and the germans were silver. I'm not sure about the scoop though,with the black trim it might look all right. it looks strange becase I have all the moldings off right now.

A20A1
02-20-2007, 08:08 PM
What about that off-white/tan color that the early integra was painted? I think that was a factory color... it might look classic and still work with the panda scheme.

lostforawhile
02-20-2007, 08:25 PM
are you talking about mallox white? mine is the greek white,it's the off white already. also known as mallox white to some people. it's a pretty oddball color for a honda,so far I haven't been able to find too many people who have it.

A20A1
02-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Might have been
"Almond Cream"
or
"Greek White"

I'm thinking almond cream though.

MessyHonda
02-20-2007, 09:31 PM
looks nice.

Hash_man_Se_i
02-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Good to see you're making more progress on the bodywork... and you molded in an xm antenna?... got any pics, I've been debating where to mount mine.

Pico
02-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Nice work.

Civic Accord Honda
02-20-2007, 10:15 PM
looks hot cant wait to see it when your finishd

BITESIZE
02-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Don't paint the hood 2 colors.

RamThis
02-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Sweet I wish I had a booth to spray in. I'm having to add tons of flourescents to my garage to make a well lit "booth" of sorts lol. I've spent all of this week cleaning my garage out and cleaning off shelves and crap. Tonight I cleaned up a ton more shit, and moved my paint supplies to a new paint cart. It's one that's like a small baker's rack, all open mesh instead of solid trays, so sanding dust does not collect in it. Hopefully by this time next week I'll have some pics of my car in primer too :rockon:

I agree on the hood though, keep it one color. With the panda scheme, and if you plan to leave the trim black, it'd be too busy and look out of place. JMHO though......

SQ is the SQUAD
02-26-2007, 07:02 AM
keep up the work. i forgot when i had my hatch i emilinate the rear washer nozzle.

1ajs
02-26-2007, 07:58 AM
keep up the work. i forgot when i had my hatch i emilinate the rear washer nozzle.

well thats a dumb thing to do

2oodoor
02-26-2007, 08:02 AM
good to see progress always

not to sound contradictory, but I have seem some real nice white TR6 and TR 7 , besides the green ones. lol but I know what your saying lol
I would prefer the hood be solid white unless your doing a shaker.:)

gp02a0083
02-26-2007, 08:03 AM
:thumbup: keep up the good work man , y didnt you try primering more of the car being you had the booth time?

MessyHonda
02-26-2007, 09:12 AM
well thats a dumb thing to do

not really....most of the rear windows are filled with dirt....and when you go to wipe it off you most likely scratch the window....on my friends 4 runner she disabled the button

lostforawhile
02-26-2007, 01:50 PM
:thumbup: keep up the good work man , y didnt you try primering more of the car being you had the booth time?well it took a long time to mask everything,and I really didn't have that much time. I'm hoping to get more done tonight,but my stupid battery is dead. it's on charge now. I think it's time for a trickle charger since I don't drive the car much.

lostforawhile
02-26-2007, 01:53 PM
well thats a dumb thing to domost of them don't work anyway,the nozzle gets clogged. besides it looks like crap sticking out of the top of the roof. I'm looking for a rear wiper arm off of a volvo or something that has built in washers.

Rockcord
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
most of them don't work anyway,the nozzle gets clogged. besides it looks like crap sticking out of the top of the roof. I'm looking for a rear wiper arm off of a volvo or something that has built in washers.

lol, wouldnt work for rear washer, but my dads 00 Benz C230 has the head light washers... the fluid shoots straight out (ment to be used while road driving) we found this out sitting in a parking lot waiting for people to walk in front of the car and "shooting" them, non-stop laughs, nobody knows where it comes from lmao!

lostforawhile
02-26-2007, 02:05 PM
lol, wouldnt work for rear washer, but my dads 00 Benz C230 has the head light washers... the fluid shoots straight out (ment to be used while road driving) we found this out sitting in a parking lot waiting for people to walk in front of the car and "shooting" them, non-stop laughs, nobody knows where it comes from lmao!someone on here has a post on adding washer nozzles to our headlights,I guess they work pretty good. I thought about adding an extra hidden nozzle to shoot people with water.

gp02a0083
02-26-2007, 02:20 PM
well it took a long time to mask everything,and I really didn't have that much time. I'm hoping to get more done tonight,but my stupid battery is dead. it's on charge now. I think it's time for a trickle charger since I don't drive the car much.

ahh ic , gotta work on them prep skills , id probally take me a little while now but iused to be able to get stuff like that done in about an hour from prep to tape to primer for liek large areas and stuff like that, keep up the good work btw is that a side or cross draft booth , i dont see any floor boards so im taking its not a down draft

lostforawhile
02-26-2007, 02:33 PM
ahh ic , gotta work on them prep skills , id probally take me a little while now but iused to be able to get stuff like that done in about an hour from prep to tape to primer for liek large areas and stuff like that, keep up the good work btw is that a side or cross draft booth , i dont see any floor boards so im taking its not a down draft
thats the old booth we use for primer,the one we use for paint is a new seiko downdraft heated booth

HondaBoy
02-26-2007, 04:29 PM
wow that car is really comming together man. great work on the roof panel. and yeah, keep it the factory white with black bottom. keep up the great work and us updated.

lostforawhile
02-26-2007, 05:27 PM
probably some more primer tomorrow,sanded today got the body ready for primer tomorrow http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/accord.jpg

gp02a0083
02-26-2007, 05:56 PM
thats the old booth we use for primer,the one we use for paint is a new seiko downdraft heated booth

those are very nice booths , so far out of the limited years of experiance ive had (5 years now with paint and body) ive worked in some crummy and some excellent conditions ranging from a garage with bwoth doors open and a single fan to get overspray away to a nice new heated down draft booth (even with tile floors FTW lol) nice seein the car stripped down , ur still going to have it panda right?

lostforawhile
02-26-2007, 06:27 PM
those are very nice booths , so far out of the limited years of experiance ive had (5 years now with paint and body) ive worked in some crummy and some excellent conditions ranging from a garage with bwoth doors open and a single fan to get overspray away to a nice new heated down draft booth (even with tile floors FTW lol) nice seein the car stripped down , ur still going to have it panda right?yea it's still going to be panda. I'm going to try and get some primer sprayed tomorrow night. had to do a bunch of sanding. now that I can see what the original greek actually looks like,I think it's going to be a nice color. all the yellow tint to the white is all clearcoat. it's actually a bright white,the malox color everyone refers to,is actually a product of the old honda clearcoat that yellows. I think they had a problem with the clearcoat on all the cars yellowing in the eighties. it's just more noticeable on a white finish.

gp02a0083
02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
yea it's still going to be panda. I'm going to try and get some primer sprayed tomorrow night. had to do a bunch of sanding. now that I can see what the original greek actually looks like,I think it's going to be a nice color. all the yellow tint to the white is all clearcoat. it's actually a bright white,the malox color everyone refers to,is actually a product of the old honda clearcoat that yellows. I think they had a problem with the clearcoat on all the cars yellowing in the eighties. it's just more noticeable on a white finish.

exactly, my 86 olds was the stock white color , had a yellow tint, probally b/c of the aging process, old clear coat will yellow and do some funkey stuff im not shure if they still used laquer for new cars back then i know common defects are crows feet (checkerboards or scales in the paint),
my advice when you spray the bottom of the car and the lower parts of the bumpers use a "ruberizer" or flex agent typically thats what i use for the drift cars ive been painting they have been holding up very well, espically im suprised around the rear wheel wells. i use about 2 to 4 capfuls of flex to one full mix of clear coat in one of the PPG mixing cups. good luck

lostforawhile
02-27-2007, 07:05 PM
exactly, my 86 olds was the stock white color , had a yellow tint, probally b/c of the aging process, old clear coat will yellow and do some funkey stuff im not shure if they still used laquer for new cars back then i know common defects are crows feet (checkerboards or scales in the paint),
my advice when you spray the bottom of the car and the lower parts of the bumpers use a "ruberizer" or flex agent typically thats what i use for the drift cars ive been painting they have been holding up very well, espically im suprised around the rear wheel wells. i use about 2 to 4 capfuls of flex to one full mix of clear coat in one of the PPG mixing cups. good luckwell the bumpers are black,I used the nappa tec flexible primer on them,then I used the duplicolor bumper coating, it gives them the original plastic look and seems to hold up pretty well. on the bottom half of my rear bumper,I used gravel guard,that goes under the paint. just under the lower section and around the bottom edges.